Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

Looks as if LA County is ground zero for the new variant.

Big trouble there. Deaths.

Quit your exaggerating. It’s not big trouble yet – was 10 times worse in February.

they underscore the growing concerns over new super-contagious subvariants that have fueled a new wave of infections.

I think the current medical view is that BA5 is similarly contagious to prior O variants, but its just your prior immunity, either from vaccines or from having O1 or older versions of covid, are pretty much worthless at keeping you from getting infected. It’s so successful because it can reinfect everyone.

Yikes! I don’t look forward to it, but am prepared for my third inoculation. :slight_smile:

This article fails to mention some L.A. County residents remain in denial.

1 Like

No denial here (and while you’re funny, I never said in which county I reside). I was very precise in what I wrote: “not big trouble yet”.

And this article agrees – no trouble yet, but may be trouble soon:

The BA 5 wave in the UK has some 6-8% of all people presently infected. Presumably it’s similar here in the US but we’re just not testing as much.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/infections

1 Like

I can’t imagine why, with a very covid-aware President in office who is also very “executive order” friendly. He should be ashamed for not protecting the most vulnerable among us, especially for the ultra-vulnerable children. It’s almost like he endorses killing children (in addition to the babies from abortions).

Fortunately, our feckless fearless media will bring it to the public’s attention, non-stop.

Ha! Ha! An exact denial. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nicely done parody, including the re-done song with the new lyrics

Plenty of doom at the Hotel Paranoia
Any kind of fear (Any kind of fear)
You can find it here

…Some lie to remember, some lie to forget

2 Likes

Dr. Scott Gottlieb saying on TV (Face the Nation) this morning there likely are one million new cases per day of COVID-19 in the USA.

High cases in Europe, nearly 1/10 supposedly currently infected.

“The government must stop gaslighting the public and be honest about the threat the pandemic still poses to them and the National Health Service,” the editors wrote.

He urged people to make their own decisions, even in countries where authorities have largely abandoned coronavirus restrictions.

“We’re all aware of the tools we have to keep ourselves safe, assess our level of risk and take the necessary steps to protect others if we get infected,” Kluge said. “Just because a mask isn’t mandated doesn’t mean it’s prohibited.”

Why are we not hearing the supposed death count?

ETA: Sorry, that was not meant as a negative comment toward you.

It looks like 'ol Doc Fauci, the highest paid federal government employee is getting ready for a long farewell tour where he will undoubtedly be lauded as the third coming of a deity, right behind the anointed one.

I will happily offer up a sample as an honorarium, in addition to the booster salute. :smile:

3 Likes

The Big Guy caught covid

1 Like

Yeah but us old guys are a lot better off avoiding COVID-19 altogether. I don’t care how many times Biden has been boosted.

And what if he lives but the COVID-19 messes with his thinking processes, with his brain. He would not be the first. And Biden obviously has scant little brain margin remaining, if any, even absent COVID-19.

Bottom line, this is not good.

Good news

Getting a booster can generate enough of an antibody response and protection from severe disease outcomes to hold up against any of the new Omicron subvariants, according to an early release paper published this week in Science . That extends to BA.5, now the most prevalent COVID strain in the U.S. and a driver of COVID-19 reinfections across the country.

Uh, are you saying that if the Wuhan flu messes with President Joseph Robinette Biden’s brain, it will be bad? I’m a glass half-full kind of a guy and think any adjustments to his brain are, at worst, 50/50 to the upside.

3 Likes

As seems more often than the 5% rate quoted, Biden tested positive for covid again after the 5 day PFE pill course ended, having tested negative in the meanwhile. He still seems well and no word on if he, like Fauci, might be taking an unauthorized second 5 day course of the PFE antiviral.

In other news, the Feds will be paying $5B more for old Omicron boosters for the fall. Oddly, PFE got 60% more orders even though the MRNA vaccines put up better numbers, and the government has the option to triple that. They’re also paying them $30/dose vs $25 for Moderna.

I am not surprised.

1 Like

By “better numbers” do you mean efficacy? I thought PFE has better efficacy for kids.