"green energy" feasibility and investment opportunities

to be re-elected. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this the jumping-the-shark moment? Battery powered electric generators. :crazy_face:

It’s kinda funny to think about - Cell phone batteries are old fashion, I now use the phone’s built-in battery-powered electric generator!

And note, no mention of how these batteries are/will be charged…

2 Likes

By diesel generators, obviously

/sarcasm

They’re providing portable batteries in a package with capabilities similar to existing generators. Everyone knows the device as a portable “generator.” If everyone thought of it as a portable power source, maybe they wouldn’t have to use the word “generator” in the description.

They are providing batteries. Period. And everyone already recognizes batteries as being a highly portable power source. They use the word “generator” to try to obfuscate the part where this ‘new’ product is just a battery, and the fact it is still subject to the same limitations that have prevented batteries from being used to power construction sites all along.

2 Likes

No problem. They will just fire up their trusty windmills and solar power.

Edit. Son of a gun it’s contagious.

Some good news

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/12/23/japan-goes-all-in-on-nuclear-power-cancels-phase-out-plans/

2 Likes

Just be thankful that TX is not part of the national grid … or it wasn’t 40 years ago. I presume Texans are still independent and proud of it.

ETA: at least until a few more migrants move in. :smile:

1 Like

…although I’m not sure how anyone would think an EV would be a good choice to drive from Florida to Kansas even under ideal conditions.

3 Likes

And here is where your true colors of hate shine through. You, as a thinking person, know that the drive would be impossible. However, instead of offering to give the non-thinking idiots help in the way of a monetary donation, you point out their lack of brainpower and common sense.

To add fuel to the fire (and BTW, pollute the planet, cause global warming, and kill all fish stocks) you only offer to help educate them so they will no longer be morons. That is unacceptable. You have to be more accepting of diversity. Imagine if we all were productive and desirous of benefiting ourselves, others, and the planet. Then, where would we be? Huh?

1 Like

“Green energy” is not ready for prime time

How is it “mysterious”? A cursery inspection of the collapse site should reveal the likely point of failure.

This article is tripping over itself to try to avoid stating that such turbines are an inherently flawed and dangerous product. Because that’d mean manufacturing should be halted indefinitely.

Come to think about it, maybe that’s the goal. What better reason to retain traditional enegery sources without pissing off the green nuts.

2 Likes

Fool or knave? The odds are with fool.

Some funny comments and at the end a pitch for Glencore, the commodity trading firm, which trades as GLEN.LO or GLNCY otc in the US. No position.

3. Follow the money

The so-called fight against climate change has already sucked in resources amounting to about USD 5tr. No one has a precise figure, but it’s in the trillions in any case.

What is being bandied about as the energy transition supposedly cost between USD 10- 100tr, depending on who you ask. In any case, that’s more money than anyone can even begin to imagine. In comparison, the US government’s annual budget is USD 6.2tr, and that of Germany is USD 1.6tr. One study put the current size of the climate change industry at USD 1.5tr per year, which would make it the world’s 13th biggest economy and roughly on par with the GDPs of South Korea, Australia or Canada.

What’s more, you are supposed to give these unprecedented amounts to entities that have a history of not even being able to reliably achieve basic measures of good governance, such as balancing their budgets (the US government last balanced its budget 22 years ago). However, you are not supposed to question the need to hand over these resources to them because… “climate change!”.

Shamed be he who thinks evil of it.

2 Likes

The article also has three investment ideas in energy

1. Fossil fuels- he thinks they still have a way to run, despite the huge increase in the last year, compared to the fall in the broad indexes like total market.

2. Green energy innovation, but doesn’t give any specific examples.

3. Emerging markets, but most of them inexplicably put China and Taiwan in the category.

Of the three, I like the investment in fossil fuel companies. Buy the dips as they say. Maybe in country specific emerging markets.

An evenhanded article. Long but worth reading

1 Like

See the latter half of the linked article, on how many various metals, rare and otherwise, will be needed in a transition to an electric powered economy. Case made for both fossil fuels to power the transition as well as commodities being in increasing demand.

1 Like

Lots of nice charts here

http://www.chrisleithner.com/global-energy-transition-fact-or-fiction/

1 Like

Interesting article but I agree with one of the commenters:

I agree with the thrust of the article. I am cautious about basing my investment decisions on your analysis because governments appear hell-bent on financing this stupidity.

The money on the government spending will most likely be made by the insiders and grifters. Not much chance for little guys to participate.

I continue to buy VDE on the dips.

1 Like

Overall a good article. I applaud research to develop ways to reduce the actual cost of “green” energy.

+1 for using the right physical units. Energy is measured in power times time. That is, megawatt-hours, not megawatts.

-1 for not putting the capacity of the battery storage in perspective.

The total electrical energy generated for use in California and delivered by the grid is 277,000 Gigawatt-hours.

https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-reports/energy-almanac/california-electricity-data/2021-total-system-electric-generation

That is about 2.8x10^14 watt-hours in a year. There are about 3x10^7 seconds in a year. So the CA grid delivers about 10^7 watt-hours in a second.

The battery capacity of the system in the article is 2.5x10^7 watt-hours.

That is enough for about 2.5 seconds. More than I expected. Looking at the size of the installation in the picture gives you an idea of the magnitude of the effort required to replace the power delivered by the grid for periods such as cloudy no wind days.

2 Likes