How to Protect your Privacy -- Personal, Financial, Digital

LOL. Amateurs.

2 Likes

Travel will be somewhat less annoying than it could be for a bit longer.

• BIDEN ADMINISTRATION PLANS TO EXTEND REAL ID FULL ENFORCEMENT DATE BY TWO YEARS TO MAY 2025 – HOMELAND SECURITY DEPT
1 Like

Most likely this is because of the millions of illegals that the Regime has welcomed into the country. Instead of a real ID they will be able to use their notice to appear in an immigration court years in the future.

1 Like

‘Eufy’s “local storage” cameras can be streamed from anywhere, unencrypted’:

1 Like

Apple iCloud

https://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-plans-new-encryption-system-to-ward-off-hackers-and-protect-icloud-data-11670435635

planning to significantly expand its data-encryption practices, a step that is likely to create tensions with law enforcement and governments around the world as the company continues to build new privacy protections for millions of iPhone users.

The expanded end-to-end encryption system, an optional feature called Advanced Data Protection, would keep most data secure that’s stored in iCloud, an Apple service used by many of its users to store photos, back up their iPhones or save specific device data such as Notes and Messages. The data would be protected in the event that Apple is hacked , and it also wouldn’t be accessible to law enforcement, even with a warrant.

2 Likes

//Premonition mode on//
Except in China

2 Likes

To perhaps no one’s surprise, Twitter is a hot mess of bad coding practices, security, and privacy.

https://twitter.com/AvidHalaby/status/1602127460677844993

Backups were so bad some of the senior engineers thought if the system went down entirely, it might never be able to be recovered (which only almost happened a couple times).

3 Likes

Well, not anymore:

Hackers got the customer database, with unencrypted names, phone #s, email and billing addresses, as well as encrypted usernames and passwords. Hopefully their customers are sophisticated enough to (1) not fall for a targeted phishing email (say one pretending to come from LastPass and asking to update their master password :wink: ), and (2) to stop using the service. Fool me twice kind-of thing. They don’t deserve to remain in business IMO.

5 Likes

That’s pretty bad, but something in the article that makes me glad that I’m not a LastPass user …

Lastpass published the August advisory days after BleepingComputer reached out and received no response to questions regarding a possible breach.

1 Like

This is almost enough to get me to switch from my LG android to an iphone. Almost

Meta and Alphabet lose dominance over US digital ads market

Long-held duopoly that rules the $300 billion market is hit by growing competition.

Meta chief executive Mark Zuckerberg has blamed recent revenue falls on Apple’s privacy changes that make it harder to track users and target advertising, as well as the growing popularity of viral videos app TikTok, owned by Chinese parent ByteDance.

More from the article.

Meta and Alphabet have lost their dominance over the digital advertising market they have ruled for years, as the duopoly is hit by fast-growing competition from rivals Amazon, TikTok, Microsoft and Apple.

The share of US ad revenues held by Facebook’s parent Meta and Google owner Alphabet is projected to fall by 2.5 percentage points to 48.4 percent this year, the first time the two groups will not hold a majority share of the market since 2014, according to research group Insider Intelligence.

This will mark the fifth consecutive annual decline for the duopoly, whose share of the market has fallen from a peak of 54.7 percent in 2017 and is forecast to decline to 43.9 percent by 2024. Worldwide, Meta and Alphabet’s share declined 1 percentage point to 49.5 percent this year.

I’m not sure what is relevant from your quoted sections that encourages you to switch from an Android phone to an Apple phone ?

1 Like

I’m not sure what is relevant from your quoted sections that encourages you to switch from an Android phone to an Apple phone ?

Meta chief executive Mark Zuckerberg has blamed recent revenue falls on Apple’s privacy changes that make it harder to track users and target advertising, as well as the growing popularity of viral videos app TikTok, owned by Chinese parent ByteDance.

A whopping 10.8% swing in market share of two companies over a 7 year stretch. Stop the presses! No way technology could cause such HUGE swings in ONLY 7 years! How could this have happened? lol slow news day I guess.

You don’t have to switch from Android to iPhone, you could just uninstall the facebook app AND install a web browser with uBlock. That should prevent facebook tracking you off-facebook, and will allow you to use facebook from the browser (I think… I’ve never used it on a phone).

It would seem to me that Apple’s prvacy changes apply not only to Facebook but also other apps. Do you have a link or source for your discussion of the Apple privacy changes?

My understanding is that it applies to all apps. I don’t have a link, and my discussion isn’t about Apple, but about preventing third parties from tracking your web activity. uBlock is supposed to block third-party tracking, but it can only be used in a web browser (there’s no system-wide version of uBlock that would work for all the apps). There may be a way to do a system-wide block, but it’s more complicated. Something like NoRoot Firewall could probably be set up with filters that block specific trackers, then you configure your phone to use the NoRoot Firewall as an “always-on VPN.” I do the latter to prevent offline apps or ad-supported free apps from establishing connections (to download ads), but not to filter trackers.

OP of this thread on password mgmt and 2FA for email accounts and such that might be useable to reset passwords on other sites.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7015425#p7015425

1 Like

A pretty good write-up. I only have one suggestion he didn’t mention, which we already have in the wiki – using different email accounts or aliases for different purposes is a good protection against getting hacked through your email account. My personal contacts have addresses only used for personal emails, not for retail or banking (with the exception of Zelle, which unfortunately uses the same email address as the bank account). When my friends’ “address books” get into the wrong hands, which happens all the time, those wrong hands couldn’t possibly gain access to any of my retail or banking accounts.

2 Likes

A good article by Harry Sit about how to use hardware devices like the Symantec VIP and the Yubikey for two factor authentication at financial websites.

2 Likes

NSA and big tech spying on the public admitted