Inflation/stagflation Thread

Remember those supply chain issues? They’re getting better for LA, right?

https://twitter.com/AllVentured/status/1480077280160325634

2 Likes

Oh come on, dont you see how much that blue has gone down? That’s some pretty seriously successful problem-solving, in fact it’s better than when he took office! It’s how they’ve “solved” so many other problems, be it shipping, wining elections, education, and more - simply adjust the rules/criteria so that the unfavorable parts of the results are no longer included.

4 Likes

It’s worse for the environment too under the Biden / LA policies too, since if they’re close to port they can anchor offshore but if they’re far away (so they don’t count in the congestion stats), then they have to burn fuel to stay in some particular area since it’s too deep. Government solutions!

5 Likes

Coming to a Covid statistic update chart near you.

Here we go

GOLDMAN SACHS EXPECTS U.S. FEDERAL RESERVE TO RAISE INTEREST RATES FOUR TIMES IN 2022 VS THREE PREVIOUSLY FORECAST

GOLDMAN SACHS ADDS A FED HIKE IN DECEMBER; FORECAST FOR THE TERMINAL FUNDS RATE REMAINS 2½-2¾%

GOLDMAN SACHS SEES FED BALANCE SHEET RUNOFF STARTING IN JULY VS PREVIOUS FORECAST OF DECEMBER, “WITH RISKS TILTED TO THE EVEN EARLIER SIDE”

3 Likes

No inflation if there’s nothing to buy. Well, there’s always crypto, but it tastes funny if you don’t using enough gas and flippening sauce.

I have noticed that Walmart remains pretty well stocked, but the other local grocery stores (both Food Lion) are getting pretty sparse in some categories, like frozen chicken (fingers, patties) and frozen french fries. I also think Coke has shipped about 4 cases of Powerade to my entire county in the last 3 months combined.

Nothing remotely close to making anyone think they’re at risk of starving, but if you are very particular about certain items you might leave disappointed.

3 Likes

Congrats on having a Walmart that restocks. Ours had empty shelves long before the Chinese virus hit our shores.

I only hit Food Lion for sale items as their prices in our area seem exorbitant, but I will usually buy something else, just to assuage my conscience. I was there today, and their prices on snacks have almost doubled. For example, a cheap, guilty pleasure is their house brand potato chips. Last summer, they were 79¢ for a ~8oz bag. Today, they were 1.49. Neither of the prices mentioned were “sale” prices as these are never on sale, as they seem to use low quality oil and flavors.

1 Like

Besides Walmart being stocked (which sounds more like an operationsal issue than a covid issue), I’ve found the same as you. Except - the Food Lion brand chips have cost $1.49 for quite a while - they also introduced a new generic line a couple years back (the all-yellowish-orange bag), and those were and remain $.79. But are also hit or miss on what you find. Same with canned veggies, the FL brand is over a dollar, but the yellow cans (for the life of me I cant recall the actual name) are $.40 and competitive with Walmart.

1 Like

Gotta get the gas price down before midterms.

BIDEN ADMINISTRATION WEIGHING LOWERING PROPOSED 2022 ETHANOL BLENDING MANDATE OF 15 BLN GALLONS IN FINAL RULE LATER THIS YEAR - SOURCES

Why do they want to destroy the environment by having us burn more fossil fuels instead of all that “sustainable-but-much-less-energy-efficient” ethanol blended into our gas?

3 Likes

Around here, I have not noticed any shortages beyond the occasional random missing item. Maybe that was due to snow storm or they just live in the sticks.

Certainly nothing remotely close to the same galaxy as soviet stores I’ve experienced first hand many years ago. I haven’t heard of anyone having to line up hours before the grocery stores open just to get basic supplies. And it was just not one store having supply issues, it was every store (except the ones where you’d pay in dollars for foreigners since none of the locals typically had access to foreign currencies).

3 Likes

Fed recognizing inflation and that they need to do something about it.

FED’S MESTER SAYS THERE ARE MANY THINGS PUSHING UP INFLATION NOW, INCLUDING SUPPLY CHAIN ISSUES AND WAGES -WSJ

MESTER SAYS WE’VE MOVED FROM PANDEMIC DRIVEN INFLATION TO SOMETHING BROADER

MESTER SAYS THE CASE IS VERY COMPELLING THAT WE REMOVE ACCOMMODATION

Faster taper, here we come.

1 Like

CPI still running at 7% as of the Dec update released today.

2 Likes

Food Lion, that’s a new one for me. But out here (small town) the more popular stores do have some empty shelves.

However, Smart & Final, shelves are pretty well stocked. This is my go to store for items hardly available elsewhere like Mexican spices etc. I was there yesterday looking for my Taco ingredients.

Funny thing, this store just fills their shelves with different items as original items disappear. So no shelves are empty.

But definitely the prices of everything has changed, moving upward daily. Biden and his comrades are ruining life as we used to enjoy :wink:.

For those who remember the later 1970’s:

Biden is giving Jimmy Carter a run for his money!

So far Biden’s inflation has not equalled Jimmy’s. But stay tuned. Biden is only just getting started.

I have seen and lived through this movie before. It’s a long movie. :wink:

Wait! Since it’s transitory, why not just continue to twiddle their thumbs … or do something else with them?

Those appear to now be non-existent in the couple of FL’s that I stop at … when there’s Cherry Coke on sale. :smile:

Why do these supposedly geniuses of macroeconomics seem to always lag common sense opinion? Whether it’s to raise or lower interest rates, they always seem to only act once the shit hits the fan and everyone is screaming for intervention. Aren’t they supposed to be a bit better at this than a bunch of trolls on a finance board?

1 Like

I would not otherwise have intervened with a response, but I am forced to do so owing to the above obvious reference to my membership group:

While the Fed’s putative goal, and task, relates to employment rate enhancement and defense of the dollar’s purchasing power, that’s not reality. Their de facto numero uno goal is support of equity prices. Period.

It is tough to foster equity price support while simultaneously raising interest rates. Even the smartest finance board trolls would be hard pressed to accomplish that.

We finance board trolls, whether singly or jointly, have our limitations. :wink:

2 Likes

Looking for your lost package delivery? CA criminals aren’t helping.

https://mobile.twitter.com/johnschreiber/status/1481770722271760384

1 Like