Investment impact of Russia Ukraine crisis

Excellent and thoughtful post, xerty. The plight of third world nations would be less worrisome and dismaying were we not transforming apace into one ourselves.

1 Like

Agree the Russia-Ukraine war made matters a lot worse. However, countries like Argentina and Sri Lanka were already broke way before the war began. Turkey has had a foreign reserve mess for almost a year, with Erdogan lowering interest rates in an effort to lower inflation. Nuts!

2 Likes

Holy mackeral! This article should have been written in the native language of the writer. It sounds like he is a feeler.

Thank you for pointing out the part about medvedcuck and shaytonaov. Although I abandoned the article, for cause, prior to reaching that portion, I went back and looked, and found that lead-in to be misleading.

I found almost all of the article to be untrustworthy, which is why I stopped after the 3rd or 4th paragraph. Anytime someone talks as much about feelings as this writer does while supposedly reporting facts is a blue flag for me.

BTW, did you find similar issues with the Ritter article? I am genuinely interested, because I may not have read it with the same eye.

A less than charitable assessment of the Russian military hardware in the war.

https://www.hudson.org/research/17754-the-russian-defense-industry-a-distressed-brand

Certainly US and other military analysts have been watching with keen interest to see how well their various equipment performs in a real life conflict.

BTW, did you find similar issues with the Ritter article ? I am genuinely interested, because I may not have read it with the same eye.

My immediate issue with it is the claims they make about the apparently verified satellite imagery of the bodies being invalid.

I don’t think they are taking the local temperatures into account when he was making claims that the bodies would have been putrified by the time Ukraine retook Bucha. Basically, they were all naturally refrigerated during the entire Russian occupation.

So then it becomes a question of whether you believe eye witness accounts of the locals, or not (who all say that Russian occupiers were responsible), coupled with whether you believe the satellite evidence.

I don’t see any credible sources that support the claim that Russian soldiers weren’t the responsible party for the atrocities.

1 Like

“some very fine people on both sides”

That is an explanation that would make sense, if the temperature was that low. I don’t know that it was, but it at least is a possibility.

I can’t vouch for their weapons, but their ammo has been great. Their 45, 380, and 7.62s have shown minimum misfires/jams. With the shortages we’ve seen over the past two years, I’ve had to dig into older (but not too old) ammo and it’s weathered storage well.

Despite the overly friendly, helpful, kind, courteous dealings with Israel in the current administration and for the 8 years he was VICE-President, they’ve done President Joseph Robinette Biden no favors here …

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/israel-adds-yuan-206-billion-093856435.html

Where do you find these sources, and do you even attempt to avoid purported propagandists?

1 Like

So now the far left is shilling for Putin too, not just the far right? Or was the far right against Putin and with the Ukraine Nazis? It’s so hard to keep up.

There are lots of citations and links in his article, so you can check if you disagree with his claims. Do you disagree with the headline regarding Zelensky?

outlawed his opposition, ordered his rivals’ arrest, and presided over the disappearance and assassination of dissidents across the country

1 Like

So now the far left is shilling for Putin too, not just the far right? Or was the far right against Putin and with the Ukraine Nazis? It’s so hard to keep up.

Well, certain elements of politics are more of a circle than a line, so the extreme “far left” and extreme “far right” meet back together on quite a few opinions…

But you really need to drop the bullshit rhetoric about “Ukraine Nazis”. Acting as if that is a remotely widespread issue, in any meaningful context, is purely Russian propaganda, and not at all reflective of actual opinions and beliefs of actual Ukrainians living in Ukraine.

You claim you post this stuff because you distrust the “mainstream media” account of events – but you seem to have almost a total lack of incredulity when it comes to pro-Russian sources.

EDIT: read the article - I would say that the author has a clear political-bent of anti-Ukraine/pro-Russia that leads to specific choices of language and characterization of events that intentionally doesn’t acknowledge the realities of having to deal with treason and other material support for invaders/occupiers.

2 Likes

Speaking of not acknowledging reality, here’s our Dear Leader

“There is no evidence yet that Mariupol has completely fallen.”

Why would he even say this? It just makes him look dumb.

1 Like

“There is no evidence yet that Mariupol has completely fallen.”

Why would he even say this? It just makes him look dumb.

Well, the Russians definitely don’t control the steel plant and associated bunker/tunnel system, and are definitely still taking losses in the area.

https://mobile.twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1517197199351943168

here’s verification

• Cause of latest fire unknown, just hours after weapons facility blaze killed seven
  • Scientists seen jumping out of windows at research hub in Tver, also near capital
  • Defence Ministry site is where Iskander missiles were built before use in Ukrain
3 Likes

You put a couple of nebulous qualifiers on this (probably not on purpose), that I would like defined before responding.

What does remotely widespread mean?
What does meaningful context mean?

ETA: Sorry, for not indicating what I see as “not nebulous” – for remotely widespread, numbers, either total, or percentages of population, and over a specific area (the widespread part). Sadly, I can’t suggest a quantifier of meaningful context, because I’m uncertain of what non-meaningful context means.

Western sabotage? Three times is enemy action…

headlines this am

• RUSSIA’S MILITARY SAYS IT PLANS TO TAKE FULL CONTROL OF DONBAS AND SOUTHERN UKRAINE AS PART OF SECOND PHASE OF
    MILITARY OPERATION - IFAX

• RUSSIA’S MILITARY SAYS CONTROL OF UKRAINE’S SOUTH WILL GIVE RUSSIA ANOTHER GATEWAY TO BREAKAWAY TRANSNISTRIA REGION OF MOLDOVA - TASS

I’ve been there. I am in active communication with friends and colleagues over there from a region that speaks Russian more commonly than they speak Ukrainian. And the Russian narrative for why they claim to be invading is complete and utter bullshit, through and through.

The fact that otherwise seemingly intelligent people think that the views of the founders of a particular militia matters, at all, as to whether the world should allow Russia to rape, loot, and pillage Ukraine, is just an absurdist demonstration of how effective the Russian propaganda machine really is.

Are there some people in Azov battalion that are neo-nazis? Quite probably. Are they majority viewpoint of Azov battalion? Quite probably not, based on what I know from speaking to actual Ukrainians. Does any of that even matter as to whether Russia is justified in their action, or to whether Ukraine should be supported in defending themselves against an outside aggressor? Absolutely not.

It is a total red herring.

3 Likes
  • RUSSIA’S MILITARY SAYS CONTROL OF UKRAINE’S SOUTH WILL GIVE RUSSIA ANOTHER GATEWAY TO BREAKAWAY TRANSNISTRIA REGION OF MOLDOVA - TASS

I guess they forgot about Odessa.

1 Like