Investment impact of Russia Ukraine crisis

It’s not piracy when we do it. DOJ seizes $300M yacht potentially previously owned by some Evil Russian.

U.S. authorities believe that her beneficial owner is the sanctioned Russian oligarch Suleiman Kerimov, a billionaire with ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

1 Like

you can’t be too paranoid when they’re out to get you, the Putin bathroom edition:

bump

Fighting to the last Ukrainian, at a rate of 100-200 soldiers per day.

Mykhailo Podolyak told the BBC in an interview aired Thursday that the daily loss of between 100 and 200 Ukrainian soldiers is the result of a “complete lack of parity” between Ukraine and Russia

You don’t say.

2 Likes

A rubble update. In the chart below, higher is worse for Russian currency (more Rubles/$), lower is better / stronger.

The ruble has recovered mightily against the US-$ after the initial shock in which short-term interest rates were yanked up to over 20% and emergency measures implemented by the Russian National Bank. Successive subsequent easing measures have had the effect of strengthening the currency most specifically against the background of Russia’s insistence that all commodities, especially energy purchases from the country must be made in Rubles.

Effectively Russia has created a “Gas Standard” for its currency and is cocking a snook at the US in a way that creates serious problems in its future ability to weaponise the USD. Russia has shown that in a battle of the balance sheets, the asset-rich, well-capitalized, gold and commodities-backed schedule looks better placed than the over-leveraged, hyper interest rate sensitive version, no matter how much bigger the latter might be than the former.

2 Likes

Political protests in Libya results in shutting down 90% of their oil output, around 1M barrels/day.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-13/libya-s-oil-output-plunges-again-on-new-shutdowns-says-minister

Meanwhile, Ukraine “agrees” to not export oil or gas. Not quite sure what they’re doing, except admitting they can’t.

UKRAINIAN GOVERNMENT AGREES TO SUSPEND EXPORTS OF UKRAINIAN GAS, COAL AND FUEL OIL BECAUSE OF RUSSIAN INVASION

1 Like

So in other words, we should expect even higher oil/gas prices?

1 Like

Well supply is going down, the question is whether the market falling and the Fed tightening will destroy as much demand, or more, or less. I’m long about half the oil I had at one point, and will be looking to buy more.

1 Like

He’s a media guy, and possibly no idiot. He’s making the best of bad situation.

Joseph Robinetta Biden has obviously lost control of the White House to evil Conservative Ruskies.

How do I know? “her beneficial owner” - obvious Republican male-speak.

No Way, Hosea!! BITE YOUR TONGUE. Our magnanimous, fearless, youthful, energetic, mentally adroit, non-Corvette stealing leader will open up oil leases so that our downtrodden, hopeful, ever-fearful, poverty-stricken dreamers will have the opportunity to gain meaningful, high paying employment in the oil patch … and pay union dues to the Democrat Party (party in the political sense - not the Clinton sense).

1 Like

Gazprom reduced their gas supplies to several European countries by 30-40% yesterday. You demand energy independence, you might get it sooner than you want.

• EUROPEAN NATURAL GAS PRICES SURGE 20% AS RUSSIA CURBS S SUPPLIES

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-15/gazprom-halts-gas-compressor-squeezing-exports-to-europe

1 Like

What’s Berlin’s beef? Haven’t they been investing heavily in windmills and solar farms? What do they need gas for? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad I’m not in Europe planning for winter this year.

Maybe global warming will bail them out. Oops, it’s climate change now, right?

2 Likes

Well not one cubic foot of my natural gas will be able to help them. Here I sit (along with a great many other people) on what is perhaps the largest store of natural gas in North America. But none of our gas can reach Europe because of the climate change crazies.

And far from working to put this situation right, Biden is instead in bed with the climate change nut cases. So I hope global warming helps our European allies. They surely will need some help, and our hands are tied tight.

2 Likes

All they told me about were the big Russian losses, but now the mainstream is telling me that somehow Ukraine is losing 1000 soldiers a day, with deaths being perhaps 1/3 of that. Victory is at hand!

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/15/ukraine-1000-casualties-day-donbas-arakhamia

Meanwhile, from the gigantic (and hiring!) “not our fault” dept of the current administration, Biden is now blaming the impending loss of the war on Zelensky for not heeding his warnings.

We did all we could, almost time to make peace. $40B in taxpayer money should be enough to pay everyone off.

2 Likes

Really? Are you (your source) sure? Within the last week, I heard it was 100 soldiers per day, and most of them were deadbeats/Russian sympathizers … and “The” Ukraine was about to out them, euthanize/firing squad/gas (no Nazi relation here), hang (or lynch if you prefer that lingo) them.

Only with 10% back to the “big guy.”, plus a fee for inflation.

1 Like

EU views on peace in our time

https://rmx.news/european-union/public-opinion-on-ukraine-shifts-as-europeans-back-immediate-peace-over-a-resounding-russian-defeat/

1 Like

I know the War camp are happily, or perhaps grudgingly, paying $5+/gal for gas to stick it to Putin with sanctions, even tho they have actually increased Russian energy revenue due to rising prices so much.

But some places, like Sri Lanka, when gas prices get too high, the national gas company’s checks start bouncing and the whole country runs out of gas.

Sri Lanka’s Economy Grinds to a Halt as Fuel Supplies Run Dry

1 Like

Better let Russia win soon, the worlds climate is at stake.

1 Like