Is Covid-19 a used car buying opportunity?

Debating whether to wait for year end “deals” is a good strategy. Looking for a PHEV and maybe fed tax credits to sweeten the deal

It may be unrivaled, but then again …

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/wild-bidding-wars-erupt-used-141507973.html

Granted, it’s Yahoo, but that seems to be accepted here, or at least used a lot.

But it is a Bloomberg article.

1 Like

That graphic for tractors doesn’t seem at all alarming to me.

They say ‘record high’ but I look at that and I see “back to the level of prices from 8 years ago”.

Did you read the article? The guy that created the metric says the tractor prices we’re seeing now have reached the level they hit “during the commodities boom a decade ago.” The difference is there is no commodities boom right now, there is a lack of supply in the tractor market and inflation. He created the metric during the commodities boom, so there is no data going back further than that to show that then and now are anomalies and the stretch between 2015-2019 is “normal.”

2 Likes

No I didn’t read the article. I was commenting on the graphic and its headline. The headline ‘record high’ as a takaway wasn’t really consistent with the graphic. IMO.

1 Like

Can anyone explain to me how a used car dealership connected to a new car dealership could advertise these used car prices and expect to sell them?

Maybe they’re doing it on purpose to sell more new cars?

The new ones probably aren’t in stock. You probably would have to order one and wait 2-3 months. With a used one, you can have it immediately. People make terrible decisions sometimes to have instant gratification.

9 Likes

To be fair, sometimes you need a car immediately. For example, your car gets totaled in an accident, or you or your spouse get a new job that now requires that person to have wheels when you previously didn’t need them.

I agree though, anyone taking the bait on these used car prices that has the ability to wait should put their order in and just wait.

4 Likes

The car market is just crazy and all the dealers are busy making money hand over fist with ADM and used car/trucks selling for more than original msrp.

I’m going to keep my car going with repairs until dealers have more inventory and will cut me a deal under msrp or deals like costco auto program where I can buy the car at $500 over “invoice” without any haggling.

Need a car now? buy a $1000 car off craiglist and keep it going until your car is ordered or market falls back to reality.

2 Likes

And then sell your Craigslist beater for $1500. :slight_smile:

So actually turns out that in a way 2020 was a car buying opportunity. If you’d bought a car in '20 and held it you’d probably be able to resell it now for a 10-20% profit…

4 Likes

Car shortages continue

3 Likes

Wow! I can’t ever remember when “above sticker” was across all manufacturers. I recall the early 80’s when Honda, Nissan, and Toyota were all “above sticker”, but this is nuts.

2 Likes

yes Good time to sell my 2010 Highlander. Any site recommendations?

1 Like

are there any manufacturers that allow direct MSRP/online purchases? (other than TSLA)

Check the ‘new’ online sales sites. Easy to get a quote… carvana, carmax, vroom, etc

Nowcar is good.

2 Likes

tried all them only 5K :frowning: . Might try nextdoor for direct