Lemonade from lemons--pay taxes with credit card

It’s all about how the specific merchant processes the transaction, not what is being purchased. Most of the time, the credit card has no idea what is being purchased (item-level transaction detail does exist, but it’s rare and I’ve never heard of it actually being used in this way).

In general, a purchase is a purchase.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the info. I appreciate it.

Thank you very much for the info. I really appreciate it.

For those wondering if pay1040 lets you use multiples, I just did this last week with two cards, np. You have to submit a separate payment for each card - you can’t list multiple cards on a single payment. I just did two separate payments on two different cards for the same tax bill. And yes, the site says it’s OK to do this.

3 Likes

See my post below.

What you’re describing can be done yourself online. People are looking for ways to use more than 2 cards per processor in the same tax period.

1 Like

Pretty good overall summary of paying taxes by credit card at DoctorOfCredit
pay taxes by credit card

2 Likes

I got the Alliant 3% (first year) card with a large credit limit then they yanked the carpet out from under me by limiting the rewardable amount to $10K/month. Their notice on when the new rule kicks in was vague but my reading is that charges in February are under the old, unlimited rule. So I charged my tax payments up to my credit limit. As they used to say on SNL, I am one wild and crazy guy.

1 Like

Visa GC (giftcardmall) did not work with Official Payments when I tried today.

1 Like