New CC account reported to Equifax which is not opened by me

I’ve spoken with many banks about accounts, credit cards and others, to determine the details and such. They don’t need to speak about the account, just to stop reporting it. There are legal ramifications for false reporting to credit bureaus, identity theft, credit card scams, etc.

In my experience, banks and credit unions are eager to stop any kind of fraud, and have always been extremely interested and proactive if there is any question of fraud or ID theft.

1 Like

The consumer has legal protections, starting with a credit report dispute. Legal ramifications for the bank don’t start until much later in the dispute process.

Sounds like you’ve had good experience, and that’s great. You asked why they could be hostile and I provided my answer. It might also be difficult to find the right person to speak to.

I can’t even imagine calling Citibank, for example, to tell them they’re reporting to my report an account that is not mine. Their customer service and fraud departments are in other countries and they require account information before they speak with you. Their lower level reps don’t always know what they’re doing. They’ll also transfer your calls to wrong departments and hang up.

1 Like

I mostly deal with credit unions.

It’s different when you are cold calling a bank without an account number to reference. There’s a good chance he won’t be able to even provide an accurate name, or at least accurate address/contact info.

1 Like

You can try to get through to a department or person that can handle it. It’s what the credit bureau will do. If the credit bureau can contact someone at the bank, so should the person whose credit report it is in and who is claimed to have the card. Maybe even ask the credit bureau for their contact number. I usually call, but sending an email might work, detailing the bank is reporting to the credit bureau in error.

An email is certainly worth a try to tell the bank they are misreporting.

Post was deleted by the author.

3 Likes

Yea, but the banks and the credit bureaus have a relationship, and the credit bureau knows exactly whom to contact. We don’t. Sure, you should try, just be prepared to waste many hours and get nowhere.

2 Likes

I prefer to resolve things quickly. As I and other posters have pointed out, these things can be done.

For changing things on my credit report the last 20 years or so, it has been primarily through contact with the financial institution, not the credit bureau.