Pay Federal tax with a debit card

I paid my Federal tax with a credit card. There was a 1.96% fee. I get 2.5% rewards from my credit card (made $4.90).

I paid state tax with my credit card as well, but there’s a 2.49% fee for the state payment (60 cents ahead!).

1 Like

Same here.

My Citi Double Cash Card is working overtime. I pay my Estimated Income Tax, Insurance payments, Property Tax, PG&E bill, every kind of bill is paid with my credit card. The small fee charged to use the credit card is certainly managed by my CASH check payout every so often. When I pay this months upcoming Citi CC bill, I will be expecting another $500+ check to arrive soon… :wink:

Metabank Visa and Mastercard work again. It took them about 3-4 weeks to fix the problem.

Can anyone help me by providing an answer to this? I well realize this question is a little bit “down in the weeds”. But maybe someone will know:

Tomorrow, 15th of June, is estimated tax payment day for us estimated tax folks. When paying estimated tax with a credit card, how many separate payments are you allowed to make? For example:

Suppose I owe $999 in tax. Would a single payment service permit me to make three separate payments of $333 each?

Obviously I’m aware I could make two payments, one at each of the lower cost service providers. But that’s not my question. I’m wondering how many estimated tax payments I can make at only a single service provider.

2 per processor, per quarter. However, you may have to wait for some time between the 2 transactions. Could be a few hours, up to a day.

4 Likes

Thank you, 3c3, for your most helpful counsel. I went forward with it in mind and came out OK.

I did a total of four payments, two state and two Federal. Both Federal charges were executed at the slightly less expensive PayUSATax website. They did issue me a heads up before processing the second payment but allowed me to continue regardless.

Was able to establish needed activity on two credit cards, which is most helpful to my overall needs and goals. Any spending opportunity is welcome, and taxes are a very nice, and large, non-hustle charge to my cards.

Bad as I hate to pay those estimated taxes. We do get a payback on the credit card.

Tax consultant said this time we can skip June. But have to pay September.

Guess it’s better than the alternative.

1 Like

So I want to earn my Discover 5% quarterly cashback by using Paypal to make an esitmated tax payment at payusatax.com. But it doesnt want to work.

When selecting the paypal option, a window pops up, then immediately closes. But when I chose “current 2020 tax due”, then select paypal, it works as it should.

Is this a unique glitch, or a universal bug that has developed? It worked a year ago.

But more importantly - all these payments go to the same (my) IRS payment account. Does it really matter if it is designated at payusatax as a balance due or an estimated payment? Or will it all work itself out as the balance zeros out? I want to think it doesnt matter, but I also dont want to end up stuck filing an amended 2020 return to claim this late additional payment.

1 Like

Why don’t you just make a 2021 payment?

Well, your “shoulder angel” is anti-paypal. I can’t argue with that. :smile:

The window closes in both cases for me. Have you already paid 2 payments this quarter, for the 6/15 due date?

You could consider giving the IRS a call after a few weeks and requesting they move the funds from one of your accounts to the other. Or just request a refund for the overpayment in the account which contains too much money, saying you messed up and made a mistaken payment.

No, just one in early June. But that’s interesting that all options fail for you. Google finds a few instances of others complaining about this same thing, but it never advances to any sort of answer.

I’m not so sure the $45 net gain is worth having to call the IRS with the need to accomplish something…

No dispute. I, too, have heard the horror stories. However:

When I needed to contact the IRS several years ago regarding a matter related to my payment accounts with them, the call went very well. I was even offered helpful counsel by the lady who fielded my inquiry.

I concede, though, that things have deteriorated since then.

You didn’t answer the question. If you apply payment to your 2021 taxes, then you don’t have to worry about what’s going on with the 2020.

1040-ES does not work with PayPal at this time.

I did answer the question - it doesn’t work when applying it to 2021. But it will work when applying it as a 2020 payment. That’s the whole problem, the only reason I brought it up in the first place!

They only charge 1.96% for paypal? That’s less than paypal charges for anything these days…

1 Like

They may have negotiated lower fees, since tax payments are typically large transactions.