Social credit in America - Politics invades personal finance

I’ve never said that in my life. I may have said that if you don’t pass, you shouldn’t net promoted, but that was regarding education, and was abandoned 50+ years ago.

Again, you are mistaken, misinformed, etc.

Only if she is pregnant and sneezes. :smile:

ETA: If you’re incapable of recognizing it, that was a joke.

2 Likes

Who is “they”? Do foreign restrooms have security guards at the door, and no complaint process?

Because domestically, such a thing generally only happens with a random busybody who can simply be ignored, and if they dont allow themselves to be ignored then you complain with whoever’s restroom it is. Her appearance may be no fault of her own, but clearing up misperceptions about her appearance is her burdon - simply because if the person who is mistaken about her gender is aware that they’re mistaken about her gender, there would be no mistake about her gender in the first place.

You asked if she should just pee her panties when other “keep trying to push her out”, yet say that this always happens to her - so maybe you should be answering that question instead of asking it? In fact what does she do in such instances, since she supposedly finds it to be such a common occurance?

2 Likes

I’m showing the problem with your approach. The edge cases don’t get handled and you try to pretend they don’t exist.

You’re not showing the problem with our approach because we are talking about the United States and you are talking about somewhere else. And even if your sister-in-law did have the same experience here, I already pointed out that the policies for which you are advocating could unintentionally make it worse for her. The transgender policies for which you advocate don’t have anything to do with females like your sister-in-law and they aren’t meant to address females like her, whether she’s considered an edge case or not.

If you want to show the problem with our approach (segregate female only spaces based on sex, not gender identity), you’re going to have to actually show something. So far, you haven’t done that at all and just went off on some tangent about your masculine looking sister-in-law in another country.

3 Likes

In addition to what Meed said, I’ll just add - since when do we set broad policy based on edge cases? Especially when that broad policy adversely affects a large majority of the population (actual women who expect privacy in the woman’s restroom)?

Besides, your SIL isnt an “edge case” - and edge case would be a hermaphrodite. There’s nothing edgy about where your SIL belongs in the restroom equation. If you really want to show a problem with our approach, you need to show an actual problem with our approach and provide the context for what you are showing rather than outright ignoring it. Your argument is getting really close to the notion of chopping off your arm being the solution to having a broken finger.

4 Likes

And some background if you hadn’t seen it

3 Likes

This is my kind of burger joint. As they say in biz school, you gotta know your market. The county voted 80+ percent for President Trump in 2020.

Roland Beainy, a second-generation Lebanese American, opened Trump Burger just before the last presidential election, serving meals like the “Trump Tower,” which is a 16-ounce burger with American cheese, lettuce, tomato and “Trump” sauce.
Every burger comes with “Trump” branded on the bun. The menu also jokingly features a “Biden burger,” which is just one ounce of beef for the tall price of $50.99.

3 Likes

But what do you want to bet that now they get sued for copyright infringement?

1 Like

As they say in Texas, the chances are slim and none and slim just left town. This is too good publicity for the President. Now if they named one of their creations the Trump Tower …

2 Likes

Speaking of Texas, …

The guy turned in some 3-D printed guns that cost him $3 each and got $50 for each one of them. About $3000 total. LOL

5 Likes

That’s what actually happens with gun buybacks–most of what you get is garbage that’s not worth the buyback amount. The rest is mostly people who have old guns (likely inherited) with no use for them and no understanding of the value.

They do nothing to get the guns out of the hands of criminals.

5 Likes

Similar as gun control laws and regulations. Criminals, well, are criminals so they don’t care about what laws say.

3 Likes

The Supreme Court decision in the New York case is already having repercussions

1 Like

Why is the AP “warning” about anything? Isnt their job to report actual news, not speculate about what the future news might potentially be?

3 Likes

Seems to be working in UK, Australia, New Zealand… It’s too easy to become a criminal. All you have to do is make it harder. Not going to deter everyone, but it’ll deter some, and reduce gun-related deaths.

PS: I’m probably the most liberal gun-owner you’ll ever meet. Mine are legal and properly stored. I had to take a safety class, go through some background check, and a waiting period. Why shouldn’t everyone go through this?

1 Like

I agree that it will reduce some “crime of opportunity” type shootings. But those arent really the type of shootings that prompt everyone to rally in support of gun controls - most of those shootings, the shooter either snaps after they already purchased their gun (and would’ve passed any backgrounds checks at the time of purchase), or they’re motivated enough that they’ll acquire the gun regardless of any restrictions or legalities.

1 Like

And maybe some marksmanship training too, along with safety class? We definitely want it so the criminals who skip this are at a disadvantage compared to law abiding citizens. Unlike the current structure where many anti-gun places put up all sorts of barriers, costs, delays just to make it hard for you to get a legal gun while somehow the criminals are shooting each other (and other victims too) every night in Chicago, NYC, Baltimore, etc with their illegal guns.

3 Likes

Before those guns became illegal they were purchased legally, right? I’d think that making the legal purchase more difficult would also make the illegal transfers more difficult, expensive, rare.

2 Likes

aside from imported ones from Mexico, I guess so. A criminals-in-prison survey showed they got their guns 43% black market, 6% theft, 10% retail gun purchase at a store, gun show, etc.

so tightening up the restrictions on legal sales is ignoring 90% of the ways criminals currently get their guns and is unlikely to impact crime while harming legal rights.

4 Likes