Social credit in America - Politics invades personal finance

Wow! I joke about California, but are you saying this story represents the norm?

ETA: After reading your other responses, I’ll ask that you ignore the part about the Ukrainian girl. Is the rest of the article about classroom behavior, or lack thereof, normal?

1 Like

You are trying way too hard. The context is, whatever her previous school experience, this new experience was shocking. And that was weeks before any targeted bullying started.

2 Likes

The leftists at the social media sites like to have it both ways: they act as publishers by censoring Conservatives then claim the shield of Sec. 230 that they are not publishers when it comes to lawsuits.

Will be interesting to see how the Supremes rule

1 Like

No, I certainly don’t think that’s normal.

I guess I was paying attention to and reacting to the wrong thing. I was prompted by the title and the emphasis that onenote added in his post. But also I just realized that the article is much longer than what onenote quoted, and I only read his quote, not the entire article. That’s my bad.

2 Likes

Even allowing for some standard 13-year-old’s embellishment to the story, unfortunately that has become normal in some public schools. It goes hand-in-hand with the dismal academic results those same school systems are facing.

The only emphasis added was highlighting the fact this girl has concluded that her war-torn country is a better option than this San Fransisco public school. I think you missed the part where these things were an accounting of what she witnessed in school, not necesarily being done to her (it then proceeded to things that had been done to her, but also without specifying if she was being specifically targeted or if she was just fair game like everyone else). You assumed it was about a young teen refugee being ostracized all on your own :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

Some good schadenfreude news from NPR. Could not happen to nicer guys. Heh.

The layoffs are in keeping with an increasingly grim landscape for media companies over recent months. Vox Media cut jobs by 7%; Gannett and Spotify by 6%. The Washington Post , owned by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, eliminated its Sunday magazine and a handful of other jobs. After becoming part of Warner Bros. Discovery, CNN cut hundreds of jobs and killed off its brand-new streaming service, CNN+.

3 Likes

That makes no sense at all! According to their guests, they must spend more. Otherwise, they will be racists, sexists, bigots and homophobes.

Oh come on - how can anyone claim with a straight face that when little Johnny insists on being called Suzie and using the girls bathroom that his parents should not be notified?

It’s deeply concerning that a school, as an institution, would even consider that this is something that should be kept from the parents.

5 Likes

Or that an honest, unbiased media could call this a monstrous piece of legislation. It’s sad.

1 Like

Unfortunately, Kentucky has a democrat governor, so the bill will almost certainly be vetoed. He will be up for election this year. Double Unfortunately, the other Democrat statewide officeholder is the Secretary of State so expect massive voting fraud.

1 Like

The continued unsubstantiated and disproven claims of massive voting fraud are most unfortunate.

3 Likes

I know what you mean. My mother thinks the sun is unsubstantiated and disproven. She, like many, is blind. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Scott Adams gets cancelled

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1629833636446081024?s=20

2 Likes

This is starting to look like a pretty good way to retire, when you remain too popular to just voluntarily walk away.

1 Like

Negative mental health impacts of social media

3 Likes

I’ve said for years - smart phones are the root of all evil. The internet, and even social media, is fine, when you need to take the time to sit at a desk. It’s the easy nonstop 24/7 exposure that is the nexus for most of the resulting problems.

5 Likes

I disagree. As I’ve said for years – social media is the root of all evil. Smart phones definitely multiply the effects, but smart phones would be just fine without social media.

2 Likes

It is the virtually unrestrained access that smart phones allow people access to all things internet. Knowledge is power, but ignorance is bliss. So many things that people are happier and way better off not knowing, where the only thing knowing accomplishes is sparking outrage.

Even social media is fine, the problem is having it at your fingertips 24/7. If you had to sit at a desk, social media would instantly be severely neutered. It’s the time factor that allows everyone’s minds to run wild and spin off into wild conspiracy theory type stuff, or to stick their noses in other people’s business and “educate” them as to how things are unfair.

2 Likes

But all that would still be happening if you had to sit at a desk. It wouldn’t be 24/7 and there would certainly be less of it, but it would still exist. Which is why I’m saying that smart phones have a multiplying effect. The real problem is how social media promotes random internet. I don’t think enough people would ever come across the wild conspiracy theory type stuff so much if it wasn’t for social media. Conspiracies existed before smart phones and before internet, they just didn’t have the same reach.

There’s always been hermits, sitting in their bunkers writing their manifestos. It used to be that “normal” people had to allocate time out of their day to follow such things, and thus most had better things to do with their free time. But now that access is grafted onto all their other daily activities, no free time required.

Pre-smartphones, “did you hear abouts” were forgotten long before having a chance to look them up. Now, they’re looked up and responded to as you’re being told about it. Social media is just word-of-mouth on steroids, the difference is the ability to react and respond immediately.

I’m kind of thinking this a chicken or egg thing. They do go hand in hand. I just think that social media is pretty benign when users have to invest some tangible effort into accessing/participating.

2 Likes