Student-loan-debt-forgiveness plans by --biden-administration

great solution. Also claw backs from execs at the for profit scam schools.

2 Likes

Although I think your “question” was facetious, just in case … Because the current administration benefits from the inculcation that is funded by those endowments and government largesse.

1 Like

The benefits of twoforship … or, for the haters, Twoforship privilege.

verb. : to teach and impress by frequent repetitions or admonitions .

indoctrination

teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.

HMMMMMM! :innocent:

1 Like

Two legal reviews highly critical of Biden’s government by edict regarding student loans. If it was wrong / illegal for Trump to divert $10B of military funds to Build the Wall, what does that say about a $1T giveaway that was never authorized by Congress?

4 Likes

even if 20K is struck down, I hope this part/PSLF survives:

Various states plan on taxing the student loan forgiveness as income. This may also give various people standing to challenge the legality.

2 Likes

hmm I guess it’s not just young whippersnappers:

There are nearly 9 million federal student loan borrowers who are over the age of 50. They account for nearly 20% of the roughly 43 million federal student loan borrowers.

And the number of older borrowers with student loan debt has been on the rise. About 1.6 million more borrowers over the age of 50 have federal student loan debt now than in 2017, according to federal student loan data.

This begs the question - is this 1.6 million mostly 20-something borrowers who have eventually aged past 50 with debt still remaining? Or is it from new debt being incurred by 50 year olds?

1 Like

my guess (my situation carrying it over 19+yrs) is that it’s the the former.

1 Like

If they are including Parent PLUS loans here, those were probably issued recently if you are 50.

Hope its spreads to other endowed schools, this is the real fix to the problem at the college level.

Previously, only families earning less than $65,000 received full financial aid coverage. Over 25% of the university’s undergraduates, or 1,500 students, will now receive financial aid that covers the full cost of tuition and room and board, according to a Thursday news release.

At full price, a year of tuition at the Ivy League university costs almost $80,000, says Princeton’s website.

The university’s financial aid expansion will also help out families earning up to $150,000, according to the news release.

“One of Princeton’s defining values is our commitment to ensure that talented students from all backgrounds can not only afford a Princeton education but can flourish on our campus and in the world beyond it,” Christopher L. Eisgruber, Princeton’s president said in the release.

“These improvements to our aid packages, made possible by the sustained generosity of our alumni and friends, will enhance the experiences of students during their time at Princeton and their choices and impact after they graduate.”

Students starting at Princeton in fall 2023 will be the first to benefit from the[ new and improved financial aid scheme] Princeton will enhance its groundbreaking financial aid program

1 Like

This table is key. It’s not a cliff benefit cut off like the Biden plan, but phased as it should be: I dont agree with no work study contribution either (I had work study)

Average Family Contribution by Income (based on Class of 2026 data)|Income Range|Average Parent Contribution|Standard Student Contribution|Total Family Contribution|
| — | — | — | — |
|$65,000-90,000|$5,000|$3,500|$8,500|
|$90,000–110,000|$9,400|$3,500|$12,900|
|$140,000–160,000|$20,175|$3,500|$23,675|
|$190,000–210,000|$36,025|$3,500|$39,525|
|$240,000–260,000|$45,825|$3,500|$49,325|
|$290,000–310,000|$62,000|$3,500|$65,500|

New Financial Aid Methodology

Most families with income under $100,000 will qualify for grant aid to cover full tuition, room, board, books and personal expenses.

Family Contribution by Income|Income|Total Family Contribution|
| — | — |
|$75,000|$0|
|$100,000|$0|
|$150,000|$12,500|
|$200,000|$25,000|
|$250,000|$37,500|
|$300,000|$50,000|

1 Like

But how can poor, deprived students work for tuition AND play on their phones afford a Eurorail pass?

Warren and Pressley cited Insider’s report in the letter to Remondi and said the "tactics are unconscionable: just weeks after President Biden announced his plans to provide student loan relief for millions of borrowers, Navient is attempting to place them into refinanced loans that are ineligible for relief

"If these reports are accurate, they reveal a particularly nefarious and harmful last-ditch tactic by Navient to profiteer off of the hardship of borrowers that finally are within grasping distance of obtaining relief from their abusive student loans,

That’s a pretty funny claim, since anything being mailed today is part of a marketing campaign planned months ago. Such refinancing solicitations are pretty standard, and have nothing to do with any loan forgiveness.

In fact, my takeaway here is to ask why borrowers can get a better interest rate than they’re paying the government by refinancing with a private lender. Doesn’t that make the federal government the predatory lender handing out abusive student loans?

Following President Biden’s life-changing action to cancel student debt for millions of Americans

Oversell? I’m thinking that $10k is truly life changing for a very small fraction of those millions of borrowers. For a vast majority, $10k is either making their life a little easier, or it isn’t even making a dent.

1 Like

you’re right about he federal government the predatory lender handing out abusive student loans. I’ll be sure to move to Navient, after forgiveness, for their “low rates” :wink:

satire roundup

4 Likes

Hot off the presses. A lawsuit with legit standing filed against the department of ed asking for an injunction to stop the student loan jubilee.

Here’s how they found standing:

Several states tax student loan forgiveness as taxable income. Indiana is one of them. However, Indiana has also passed a tax law saying that Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) is not taxable income. A man from Indiana that is in line to receive PSLF in 4 years has filed suit saying that if he gets Biden’s forgiveness, as it is currently written: 1. he will not benefit, because a) he is planning to get PSLF which would wipe out all his loans even if he didn’t receive the $20k from Biden, and b) he is on a certain payment plan that will not reduce his payment if he gets Biden’s $20k; and 2. he will be adversely affected because he will get a state tax bill of ~$1,000 for the $20k Biden is going to wipe out, but he wouldn’t get that $1,000 tax bill if he just continued with his PSLF.

Filed Lawsuit

3 Likes

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bidens-student-loan-forgiveness-plan-could-cost-400-billion-cbo-says-11664227318

“CBO’s new estimate confirms the outrageous cost of the White House plan to cancel large amounts of student debt, by executive order, to nearly all borrowers almost regardless of need,” said Maya MacGuineas, the CRFB’s president.

The CBO estimate “shows this administration has lost all sense of fiscal responsibility,” Ms. Foxx said. “Rather than working with Congress to bring down college costs, President Biden has opted to bury the American people under our unsustainable debt,” she added.

3 Likes

I am still waiting for someone to explain to me how an executive branch agency can spend (at least) 400 billion additional dollars without congressional appropriation. Was it written into the HEROS act that they had unlimited spending power? Is that even a thing? If so, how?

2 Likes