Student-loan-debt-forgiveness plans by --biden-administration

sounds like oral arguments at SCOTUS didn’t go well for the “free money” Biden team

3 Likes

People don’t appreciate things that are given to them “free”…

Particularly post-secondary education: if you couldn’t do well in high school, or didn’t want to put the effort, free money for (community) college isn’t going to change things much. It only adds to the tax burden of those who did put the effort to improve their lives.

6 Likes

Nor do they apparently appreciate the work required even if they pay for something …

A couple of department heads said something similar a little over a decade ago. I guess it’s now widespread enough that the media’s “discovered” it.

3 Likes

Payment set to resume this summer as part of the debt ceiling negotiations. The Supreme Court is still reviewing Biden’s debt cancellation plans.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/debt-ceiling-deal-locks-in-restart-of-student-loan-payments-5ec24f99

Under the deal, normal payment schedules for federal student loans would resume by Aug. 30,

2 Likes

Biden will veto it, but…

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/01/politics/student-loan-forgiveness-biden-senate-vote/index.html

1 Like

Yep, Democratic Sens. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Jon Tester of Montana voted for the bill, as well as Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, an independent.

I wonder if Kyrsten Sinema will continue her “Prada” liberal maverick traditions here in AZ .She avoiding being primaried by changing her label, but a 3 way vote will be interesting

In any case I’m now firmly in the anti broad forgiveness camp, now that they are counting my 20 years of payments towards forgiveness, and not the “gotcha” it wasn’t on the right plan.

Debt forgiveness pandering politicians prepare to blame the Supreme Court for not delivering.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-house-prepares-for-possibility-supreme-court-could-kill-student-loan-forgiveness-plan-8c17d89f

Backup link

While White House officials maintain publicly they are confident the Supreme Court will uphold the program, some in the administration have expressed concerns in private that the conservative majority will kill it. Administration officials have been discussing policy options that could help the tens of millions of borrowers who are at risk of not getting the loan forgiveness that Biden promised.

That could be a disaster, or just another talking point to get voted in 2024. Elect me and I’ll forgive you again.

The Education Department is weighing additional ways to help borrowers discharge some student debt, the people said, building on targeted loan forgiveness for disabled people and those who work in public service or were defrauded by for-profit schools. The White House is planning to emphasize the changes it has proposed to income-based payment options, which are set to be finalized later this year. But payments could resume before the plan is finished, preventing borrowers from immediately enrolling in the program when payments resume.

2 Likes

Sure, lets just blame the “conservative majority” on the Supreme Court. The only one victimizing those tens of millions of borrowers is Biden himself by making promises he has no ability to fulfill.

Is this seriously journalism, to report about the risk of not getting something they never had in the first place?

It’s becoming more and more blatant how the Democrats are the ones politicizing the Supreme Court, when the Court is just deciding cases based on the rule of law.

3 Likes

Really? Are you serious? It seems pretty obvious that the Big Guy is kicking back half of his 10 percent to the Supremes so they can block it so that he will have another carrot dangle in the next election. It’s well worth it to him, since he has already learned his lines.

“The rule of law” is subject to interpretation. The Court is VOTING on how to decide the cases. Few decisions are unanimous, meaning that all others could have gone either way, dependent on what the majority of justices prefer.

Right, and their votes are based on their interpretation of the law. It isnt political, unless you need a convenient excuse to throw a tantrum when you dont get the decision you want.

2 Likes

I wonder how Clarence feels about student loans. I guess it helps if a rich GOP donor takes care of family tuition bills

Hey, I appreciate your service, but …

Probably the same way he feels about people who prefer the nightlife/boogie and cruising to paying their student loans.

Wow! Generalize much? Care to back that up with specifics?

ETA: Read his autobiography (not the audio book), and I think you will have a higher appreciation of him.

1 Like

Will be sure to read his autobiographical explanation of this :wink:

2 Likes

Post was deleted by the author.

2 Likes

Their interpretation is guided by their beliefs in the same way that politics are (supposedly) guided by politician’s beliefs (or at least by the constituents, since all politicians are chameleons). So it’s not political in the sense that their decisions are made to support or oppose any party, but it is political in the sense that it usually aligns with one of the parties beliefs. This is especially pronounced now, because every issue has been politicized and the parties are split on all of them. The only thing we can all agree on is that we can’t agree on anything :frowning_face:

1 Like

Come on goose, how do you not know this already? Did Fox News conveniently forget to mention this? Do we need to inform you of the Dominion lawsuit settlement? Since they said almost nothing about it.

1 Like

I did not say anything about his autobiography commenting on the “fair and balanced Propublica report. Although I am certain that @slappycakes will shortly post a devastating revelation of how Probublica is not only a leftist organization, but funded by anti-Ukrainian Russkies, I’ll focus on my comment that you completely failed to address - You stated that a rich GOP donor took care of his family’s tuition bills.”

I presume that you’re talking about Trammel’s kid, Harlan. Are you saying that he picked up all the Thomases’ tuition bills? Is that correct?

Also, how much to you want me and other taxpayers to subsidize your partying, cruising and other entertainment?

1 Like

I’m aware of all sorts of comments and reports that use all sorts of hyperbole and donor triggering words. Since @jesselivermore said that a rich gop donor paid for their family’s tuition, I want specifics.

Is that too much to ask or too hard to comprehend?

1 Like