Taking an unneeded college loan for fun and profit?

Assuming you can do a lucrative CC signup offer, I’d go for that until a believable path appears for the student loan forgiveness. Take it one semester at a time. It’s not popular with GOP and Pelosi just shot down Biden’s authority to do it unilaterally. If the forgiveness needs to go through Congress, I don’t see it happening this Fall since Dems won’t use their last budget reconciliation on it. So I’d take the sure thing now, and keep my options open for following semesters.

On that note though, I could see it becoming extremely difficult to get a new Federal loan if a student loan forgiveness law becomes a near-term certainty. I’m pretty sure rates would spike to basically unsecured personal loan levels.

1 Like

I had not thought of that angle, but it’s a very logical observation.

1 Like

Followup: Ended up getting a scholarship that covered about 85% the bill. Still took out a loan for “living expenses”. I have the option of returning it within 120 days with zero fees or interest owed, so I’m gonna wait and see.

2 Likes

That entire article is merely procedural. She in no way said that she would not forgive the debts, she just commented on how it must be done. Translation: she wants a piece of the credit for doing so.

1 Like

Interest accrues for grad school while you are in school. This takes a lot of people by surprise. The sticker price for grad school was 120k. I owed over 150k by the time my first payment was due.

2 Likes