Tax changes / proposals - discussion

Official IRS confirmation of 2023 inflation adjustments

2 Likes

Summary of changes looking ahead.

1 Like

What happens if I consult on occasion for one of these states? List somewhere? Doubt theyā€™ll go after or itā€™s worth their time for small fees

glad to see AZ is heading in the opposite direction by lowering to a flat tax 2.5%. Our DOR is actually friendly, answer their phone and have taken care of issues w/o penalty. Wish theyā€™d go TX property tax routeā€¦

If the company you are consulting for sends anything to the state income tax authority telling them how much they paid youā€¦

ā€¦ they will.

1 Like

Taxation w/o representation! Most stuff Iā€™ve done so far is de minimis but there is a big one that has offices in high tax states Boston | Chicago | Columbus | Dallas | Los Angeles |
Miami | New York |** **Phoenix ** San Francisco.

Hope theyā€™re smart about it vs onus on employees like me :frowning:

I bet more co.s incorp in TX etc to avoid this mess.

1 Like

Estate planning

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping a fellow FatWaller can clarify this situation. I purchased several 26-week T-bills not long ago. Iā€™m trying to make last minute decisions in preparation to filling 2022 federal taxes, and would like to know if the interest is recognized in 2022 --when the T-bills were purchased-- or in 2023 --when Iā€™ll get the principal back from TreasuryDirect.

Thanks a bunch for any info.

PS. If this isnā€™t the correct thread, please feel free to move my post somewhere else.

The interest is recorded for the year in which the T-bill matures, 2023.

4 Likes

Thanks, Onenote!

how to lose by winning the lottery. tax fraud

1 Like

Pigs get slaughtered, as the saying goes.

I wonder if thereā€™s a market for cashing tickets in states that donā€™t collect state income tax on lottery winnings, like CA :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The IRS is getting sued over their leaks to Propublica ahead of the last big Democratic tax hike push. Of course you canā€™t do anything when the IRS leaks your info or screws you over, but when youā€™ve got a few billion, you can have your lawyers give them a hard time.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ken-griffin-sues-irs-over-tax-privacy-breach-that-also-affected-other-billionaires-11670942150

ā€œIRS employees deliberately stole the confidential tax returns of several hundred successful American business leaders,ā€ Mr. Griffin said in a statement. ā€œIt is unacceptable that government officials have failed to thoroughly investigate this unlawful theft of confidential and personal information.ā€

1 Like

Vote with your well heeled feet

1 Like

No doubt income tax is a huge factor, but thereā€™s nothing new about it. NYC was in a bit of a healthcare mess when the pandemic started, so leaving was the smart thing to do for anyone with resources and ability to leave. Lots of people (or so Iā€™ve heard) moved out of the city, but stayed in the state or in neighboring states. And sure, Florida was a big destination too for those whose politics werenā€™t aligned or just needed another excuse to leave. The fact that so many more people are working remotely and the ā€œdowntownā€ is not what they used to be is probably a huge factor for not moving back.

1 Like

The porkulus 2.0 bill includes some big changes to retirement plans.

• Automatic enrollment into new company retirement plans.
  • Increasing catch-up contribution limits for people 60 to 63.
  • Financial incentives for contributing to a plan.
  • Expanded access to retirement plans for long-term, part-time workers.
  • Expanded access to the Saverā€™s Credit (a tax credit for contributions) for lower- and middle-income employees.
  • Easier access to retirement accounts for emergencies.
  • The program considers student loan payments when determining the companyā€™s 401(k) contribution.
1 Like

All of those bullet points sound good to me. Are you complaining?

Lots of people donā€™t enroll into retirement plans because of ā€œfriction,ā€ and auto-enrollment would take care of that.

Hereā€™s a similar article discussing how there is middle class departures from high tax states as well.

One recent study, for instance, found that income taxes take, on average, nearly 10 percent of family earnings from high earners in the Golden State, but just 1.2 percent from middle-income residents. Even high taxes elsewhere, such as on gasoline, donā€™t offset these advantages.

My first reaction to this cheery news about California was to wonder why, if itā€™s such a tax haven for the middle class (and even more so for low-income households), so many people are rushing to leave. Californiaā€™s net domestic outmigration ranks highest among the states, which means that more residents are departing than arriving thereā€”and they are exiting by the hundreds of thousands every year. You canā€™t have that kind of exodus just from upper-income earnersā€”certainly not from the top 1 percent, the target of the highest tax rates. In fact, the biggest leavers by far are lower- and middle-income people. And middle-class losses have grown in the last five years to about 200,000 adult residents

1 Like

You omitted the relevant quote:

But correlation is not causation. I bet the biggest reason, at least for CA, is housing costs. Itā€™s really expensive to buy or rent in the major CA metros. BUTā€¦ is the grass greener on the other side? My thoughts:

Texas and Florida have no state income tax, but that makes little actual difference to the middle class because they donā€™t pay much tax in California. Texas property costs 50% less, but the property taxes are 2-4 times higher and arenā€™t protected from rising with prices (CA has Prop 13). Florida real estate may be a little cheaper and I believe property tax is similar to CA near 1%, but property insurance is 3-4 times higher in most areas. Arizona is the only place that makes financial sense, except their RE prices swing up and down like crazy too, and if you buy now you may end up under water for the next decade. And not everyone wants to live in the desert.

1 Like

I believe your definition is flawed for Bidenā€™s America.

I suspect ā€œwhich means that more legal residents are departing than arriving thereā€ would be a more accurate definition of net domestic outmigration.

1 Like

So, Iā€™m not sure of what point youā€™re making. You start by saying the biggest reason is housing costs, but then use 10x the space to explain why thatā€™s not the case.

1 Like