The 2020 USA POTUS election politics, the civil war, and the world war (Part 1)

Orthodox Jews are the alt-right of Judaism. They’re ultra conservative in all of their ways, so it’s no surprise that many (I’d even guess most) of them vote Republican. I don’t think you can call it anti-semitism though – they are targeted for being ultra-conservative, not for being semites.

The friend I mentioned was not Orthodox. The point of my story was that he had the life experience of two oppressed minorities, yet he sided with the party that has a poor track record when it comes to the issues important to minorities, especially gay rights at that time. He’s definitely one in a million.

1 Like

What’s your fascination with Columbus? He didn’t discover America as we were taught in grade school. And apparently he was not a good person. Why do we honor him with statues, street and city names, and a national holiday?

1 Like

I’m not so sure of that . . . not certain at all.

1 Like

Betting you never have set foot at L’Anse aux Meadows. I have.

That settlement beat CC by four or five hundred years! But it started nothing. Chris’s new world visits much later actually got the ball rolling and that is a big deal worthy of all the statuary.

Besides, who says they get to tear things down without a vote? That is not how America is supposed to work. That is third world style lawlessness and unlike yourself, I do not support it.

2 Likes

“Third world” you say? The Eastern Block was “second world,” and statues of former Soviet leaders came down pretty quickly without any votes after the union fell apart. That was during/after a real revolution though, so it’s not a perfect analogy.

I don’t support destruction of small business, but I’m fine with taking down statues of people who do not deserve them without a vote. I draw the line at Washington and Jefferson, and I hope nobody is dumb enough to try.

1 Like

Try to keep up. It’s already happened.

I’m betting this comes as no surprise to any participant here.

Do you require it of others to draw their line precisely where you draw yours? Such a requirement as that will lead to your being disappointed.

I’m using this thread to keep up. Help me out.

Sorry. Not my turn today.

Both of them knew that slavery was terrible and should be abolished (this is well documented and should be no surprise to anyone). There’s a huge difference between them and other targets (like Columbus or the Confederacy). Attacking them would alienate a whole lot of people who might otherwise support the cause. IMO.

"But in middle school in 1935, the only thing I remember from history class is that Columbis was a hero! You can’t take that away from me! You’re trying to erase MY personal version of “history”. "

It’s actually white people pulling down a lot of the statues, too, not the “black thugs” as painted in this thread. See video from baltimore of mostlly white people.

It seems to be having the desired/stated effect (of the people doing the actions) of other places pulling them down voluntarily. It is hard to argue against the effectiveness even when few agree with them about the vigilantism of people pulling some down destructively.

Wouldn’t you know another dam Democratic Mayor that would happily tear down a statue. Joining the crowd of radical political movement. That should make him so proud… :smirk:

That’s pretty much the point. It’s not the lack of a vote by the general population, it’s the pure vigilantism that is doing it.

We are similarly falling apart.

I draw the line at Washington and Jefferson, and I hope nobody is dumb enough to try.

If you choose to look the other way, you don’t get to suddenly put your foot down when you think it goes too far - that’s not how unruly mobs work. Either mobs tearing down public property is ok, or it isn’t.

Both of them knew that slavery was terrible and should be abolished (this is well documented and should be no surprise to anyone). There’s a huge difference between them and other targets (like Columbus or the Confederacy). Attacking them would alienate a whole lot of people who might otherwise support the cause. IMO.

Maybe I’m just dumb. Or maybe I’m extra-super “woke”. But while there’s typically a name attached, I always see these monuments being as much about remembering the event as part of history. The name is just a tangent detail; it’s not making them into heros, the person is just part of the event.

Wasnt there a push a while back supporting/protecting “art” that some deemed to be indecent? Shouldnt those same standards apply here?

1 Like

Well, nobody ever discovered anything. But Columbus was the catalyst for the start of Western Civilization on this continent.

1 Like

Except no one has tried to paint that picture. I couldn’t care less who is doing it, it’s wrong for anyone to take it upon themselves to do. There are official channels to make this happen; I’d still disagree with the sentiment, but would respect the process (my only recourse being to help elect different people to those positions).

You might. Others don’t.

Defunding success, de Blasio edition .

This is lawless New York – a city that was once America’s glittering crown jewel but which risks descending into mob rule.

According to figures released by the New York Police Department, for the first six months of this year, there were 176 murders, an increase of 23 per cent on the 143 killed during the same period last year.

The number of shooting victims has gone up 51 per cent to 616 this year. In June alone, there were 250 shootings compared to 97 in the same month last year. Month-on-month, burglaries are up 119 per cent and car thefts up 48 per cent.

With the city life attractions basically shut down (arts, many restaurants, bars, etc), who wants to work from an overpriced Manhattan apartment when you could work from anywhere with less virus risk, less looting and shooting risk, and a vastly cheaper cost of living? Even without their virus-related budget problems, NYC was in trouble financially and now work from home is going to wreck both the office and high end residential RE markets in the city. Only two more years of de Blasio, but never think there’s not a worse choice waiting in the wings.

1 Like

It’s no more radical than the Tea Party or the Freedom Caucus.

I don’t think so. It does not have to be so binary. I’ve always found confederate statues an aberration and Columbus for a few years now.

I don’t know what you are referring to and I already mentioned my position multiple times – preserve them in museums or private collections like any other art. Better get on with preserving what’s left before rioters take matters in their own hands.

2 Likes

Thanks. I guess some people ARE dumb enough to try. Honestly if I was in the area and knew it would happen I’d try to stop them.

1 Like

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/972/972-h/972-h.htm#link2H_4_0002

ARRAYED, pp. Drawn up and given an orderly disposition, as a rioter hanged to a lamppost.