The Bitcoin / Crypto Currency Thread

Allegedly, SBF disclosed that he made equal donations to Republicans but they were “dark money”. He was afraid of backlash if it became publicly known he had donated to Republicans.

1 Like

If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I’d like to sell you.

2 Likes

Sam Bankman-Fried could face years in prison over FTX’s $32 billion meltdown — if the U.S. ever gets around to arresting him

A duplicitous individual like him, I wouldn’t be surprised if he indeed leveraged both sides of the spectrum. After all, he was Mother Theresa, no? The most charitable self-made billionaire around. He was very good at sending all the right signals to charm the public, except it was all a scam. So, yes, it’s within the realm of his dubious character to cover all his bases but do so “strategically.”

2 Likes

We’re from the government and we’re here to help.

• SENATOR WARREN IS WORKING ON A COMPREHENSIVE CRYPTOCURRENCY LAW THAT WOULD GIVE THE SECRETARY OF STATE THE MOST REGULATORY CONTROL OVER THE MARKET - SEMAFOR.

• INTERCONTINENTAL EXCHANGE CEO: I THINK MOST CRYPTO TOKENS WILL BE REGULATED UNDER EXISTING SECURITIES LAWS FOLLOWING FTX COLLAPSE.

• DOJ SENIOR OFFICIAL MARSHALL MILLER: THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE IS BEEFING UP ENFORCEMENT OF CRYPTO AND DIGITAL ASSETS. TWO SEC LAWYERS WILL BE ASSIGNED TO THE DOJ’S CRYPTO TEAM.

1 Like

Am I missing something? What does the Secretary of State have to do with crypto currencies and crypto exchanges?

2 Likes

well, when you’re the government, you just decide who to put in charge of whatever I guess.

Meanwhile, SBF hires someone good at defending well connected criminals.

https://twitter.com/watcherguru/status/1600211854508187648?s=46&t=Er1heUbltWIwfLbgJmVLVA

2 Likes

Balwani was sentenced to 155 months (12 years 11 months); Holmes had received 135 months (11 years 3 months).
I feel these are fair sentences that will deter fraud in Silicon Valley going forward.

Summon a major democratic donor for a multi $B fraud? Nah, that would send the wrong message.

2 Likes

Perhaps they don’t want a spectacle? A guy that looks like he hasn’t showered or combed his hair in several days --or changed cloths for that matter-- repeatedly invoking the 5th under advise of his lawyers.

From your mouth …

With the length of people’s memories, it may be a detterent for 4 or 5 years.

No perhaps about it. Accept the “physical” cleanliness of the guy has nothing to do with it. :smile:

it makes sense to bet in a no lose situation, esp w/ OPM.

I guess jury/judge bought the damsel in distress and slightly lighter sentence for Holmes (not light) Guess they should have made more political donations :wink:

Balwani was found guilty of charges related to patients, while Holmes was found innocent of said charges. During sentencing proceedings, the judge mentioned Balwani hired his dermatologist to oversee the lab. That kind of highlights Balwani’s deliberate intent to deceive on matters related to lab procedures and lab reporting.

Something else, though this shouldn’t enter into the equation (I guess?)… Balwani through his lawyers still says the loses to investors should be valued at $0. I’m sure he’s remorseful but unable or unwilling to admit there was any wrongdoing.

Nothing like controlling the (crypto) media to make yourself look good.

https://www.axios.com/2022/12/09/bankman-fried-funded-crypto-news-site-block

2 Likes

I uh, don’t know for sure… but I will take a stab at it… since I don’t have the numbers in front of me… but what I think had happened was…

Sam Bankman’s answer to pretty much every question trying to portray himself as the most incompetent CEO in history.

Somehow he founded Alameda, he owns 90% of it, his company FTX is loaning it margin and assets, and he is living with all the people running it, many of them are in a polygamous relationship… but magically he doesn’t know anything about that hedge fund.

5 Likes

it’s human nature. Sad part is blockchain would have been a great way to transfer money from foreign countries w/o fees etc. But bubbles/exchange make it unreliable

subtle

2 Likes

SBF arrested

https://twitter.com/SarahNEmerson/status/1602448748109512704

3 Likes