Why the hell can't Capital One email me my new credit card number and details?

I’m not sure of the Microsoft feature you’re describing as I don’t use any of their personal apps or services (LibreOffice & Thunderbird FTW). If you are talking about sandboxing, then it’s a built-in feature on Android – apps don’t have access to other apps. When it looks like they do (for example, you can get to Uber / Lyft from Google Maps), they don’t, it’s just a link / shortcut to another app.

There’s 12 million results on google about installing Android in VirtualBox. I haven’t tried it.

As far as taking any extra precautions on Android besides the obvious (like turning off bluetooth and NFC), I replace the launcher to get rid of the built-in Google features (news feed, search bar, voice spy), use Startup Manager to disable unnecessary apps from auto launching on startup, and NoRoot Firewall to prevent offline apps (or non-uninstallable apps that I don’t use) from getting online. We’re getting way off topic tho :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Way off topic, or not, thank you!

1 Like

Plus Android is open source, so you can inspect the source code. Most apps rely on the built-in security features, so if you’re confident in the OS I would think that would be sufficient. If you have a carrier-unique version of Android that you’re not confident in, you can replace it with a version you are.

2 Likes

Thank you! Just made me nervous when you said apps could see a list of other installed apps.

The Microsoft thing gives us access to work emails through outlook exchange, teams, sharepoint sites, time reporting, etc. Kind of like remote connect/VPN into the company’s network.

They say that the work apps can’t access the personal apps that weren’t downloaded through the work app store. Admittedly I’m probably not explaining this right because I don’t fully understand.

Haven’t used virtualbox, but may try that. For VMWare I tried 6 times with instructions from 4 different sites, but it required command line modifications and I’m sure somehow, somewhere, I screwed something up that was common knowledge to most people trying to do this.

This is a standard feature of all package managers on all operating systems (that I know of) and I’m not aware of any easy way to “silo” this (the hard way is to create multiple VM instances as you wanted).

Probably not, because AFAIK there’s no difference between work or personal “apps” themselves. Access is usually associated with your account / sign-in credentials. You can have more than one account.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t go this far, because I’m not sure if Android even provides security around client-server communications (Windows and Linux do not, you have to bring in other packages and write a lot of it yourself). Things like SSL/TLS are complicated and require great care, especially when it comes to certificate validation. Even if Android contains the API for everything, it does not mean that the application developer wrote the application to make all the right API calls correctly.

1 Like

I realize this is an old topic, but it helped me.

When Alliant CU closed my account I needed another Visa card. I had this old Capital One opened, so I applied for the Venture One Visa card.

After a couple weeks waiting for the card, I called to ask. After discussion I found out it was mailed to physical address which I got no mail.

So new card number assigned with last 4 numbers given. New card is in the mail.

I followed the instructions for getting a Mobil app.
Get card info, check Re: Account ending in 1122.

Perfect instructions, I can make payment without waiting for card to actually arrive in the mail.

Good Site!

1 Like

My Venture One Visa card arrived in the mail today.

Yes, I can shop Costco again now. (Cash or Visa card)

What a rude awakening when Alliant CU cancelled me.

1 Like

Why would you get Venture One when you could have gotten Venture? Much better sign up bonus and rewards. Could have downgraded to Venture One after one year to avoid the second annual fee.

1 Like

I actually was thinking “no fee” Visa card. Only looking for card, not realizing bonus issues at the time.

Seems like a decent card for use at Costco. As usual I have my Citi Double Cash for everything else.

Not my usual Bonus Gal Self… lol

Venture One is only 1.25 “miles” per dollar in rewards, or 1.25% if redeemed for travel, less if redeemed for other things. If you spend enough at Costco, you’d be better off with a no fee and 2% cash back card. Lots of those around, including Costco’s own from Citi or the Fidelity Rewards Visa. No (or not much of a) signup bonus on either one.

2 Likes

Only if you have a Fidelity account (not 401k, not IRA, not HSA).

This one should do:

3 Likes

I actually do have a Fidelity account. I don’t check on the account often, but keep $3k+ in it.
A decent account which I use mostly if I need a “direct deposit” to open some new account requirement. Fidelity does work.

Now after reading what you wrote above, I’m going to dive deeper into the Cash Management Account. It sounds interesting.

Live & learn…I could have picked up a Visa card from Fidelity… dum, dum…

It is a good account. ATM refunds, free checks I believe and other benefits.

I just noticed that Chase will let you add newly issued cards to Apple Pay immediately, even though the physical card takes a week or so. Good for online vendors that support it, and the zillions of brick and mortar places that do.

2 Likes