Alliant Credit Union

Only if you were to ever close your accounts could you withdraw it.

I thought they’d just take it back :slight_smile:

"Five dollar savings deposit

1. You must open an Alliant savings account to be eligible to receive the complimentary $5 savings deposit, which will be deposited directly into your new Alliant savings account. One complimentary $5 savings deposit per new member. Member will forfeit the complimentary $5 savings deposit if account is closed within 90 days of establishing Alliant membership."

https://www.alliantcreditunion.org/disclosures

After the 90 days, you get the $5 if you close your account. We can ask craig10x because I believe he has closed his account a couple times.

2 Likes

Yes…as long as it’s been more than 90 days since you joined, you will get the $5 back from the savings account which they deposited…And they do pay the $5 for the charity contribution which gets you to qualify for the membership…

By the way, since i can no longer access the online banking i was wondering if they ever upgraded the online banking like they said they were planning to do this year?

How many times have you joined and left?

I’m not sure the last time you were there but it looks upgraded to me. Also,long-time members now get 10% on savings, 5% cash back on credit cards, a $1000 bonus at the end of the year, and a partridge in a pear tree. Don’t you wish you had stayed?

5 Likes

Oh, if only all that was true…LOL :wink: i’'d be back in a “flash”…:grinning:

My guess is they didn’t do they online upgrade yet…they told me during 2019 but boy are they dragging it out…So, seriously, nothing has changed in the online banking as of yet, correct? When you terminate your membership, you can’t log in anymore…that’s why i was asking…

I think i left twice since my original long stretch of being with them for years…at the present time i am a non-member…

Banking wise, i have Citibank for my local, Purepoint for most of my cash and AMEX Savings for the rest…And no Alliant CU presently…

I decided to re-join…I’ll use Alliant CU as my secondary bank for my cash (Purepoint has the big bucks…lol)…It will replace AMEX Savings…With AMEX Savings i don’t have atm access and with Alliant i do…and i figured it would be a good idea to have a second bank that does provide the access…

Interesting thing is that my new checking and savings was opened instantly, i was immediately assigned a member number and the $5 deposited to savings PLUS Immediate Online Access…it wasn’t like that in the past…So i see they are making a LOT of changes…The actual online banking has not changed yet, but i guess it will be done sometime this year based on what i was told…meanwhile, i guess you will be seeing interesting changes here and there…:wink:

I also set up the Mobile Banking and i see that’s been improved quite a bit…seems fast and snappy now…it used to be kind of sluggish…Looks like they are really getting their act together…very glad now that i decided to re-join :grinning:

craig 10x,I’ve had Alliant CU since 2003. No problems, I use their checking to pay all my credit card bills. I have a home-town checking acct for all other bills. But, if I need to write a large check for farming expenses, Alliant is ready & easy. The Savings also has a decent % rate.

Hi Patty! Good to see you again…I think it will work out well and very glad to see that they are making improvements as they told me they would be doing…It’s nice to be back…

You can pay credit cards from the savings account. I use two credit cards mostly so I keep most of my funds in savings and pay the cards directly from savings.

You get 6 withdrawals per month from savings.

You’ve got a good point Argyll…
I only use the checking acct because of the 6 withdrawals per month on savings. But I’m going to try your way. You certainly make more interest leaving the funds in the savings acct.

LOL, this was @craig10x circa October 2018(approximately 6 months ago) the last time he re-opened his accounts.

But in all seriousness, as much as I joke around about @craig10x’s adventures in account opening and closing, I’ve been reading his posts for years and years. I remember posts about Delta Community Credit Union and Bank5Connect and all kinds of other banks and credit unions over on Fatwallet. @craig10x you, my friend, are a true Fatwallet finance legend! Please don’t ever change!!

6 Likes

Don’t forget craig10x is profiting $5 each time he closes the account!

3 Likes

Thought I missed a big announcement. So many posts in the past 24 hours…

Should have known it was just craig re-joining!! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

LOL…yeah, i’m back…must admit i was very impressed with their new Instant Approval membership application which not only approves you (if you answer the soft pull security questions correctly as i did) but assigns your membership number, account numbers and puts you right into Online Banking immediately…

And after downloading the Mobile app, was very impressed with all the improvements (including new features) and the speed of the responses on it…Even the check deposit feature was working great…

Now if they could just get that Online Banking revamp going :wink:

1 Like

Not only $5 each time, but don’t forget that i get a free box of checks with each new opening…lol
I think this time i may be back for good as i do notice the many improvements (on things that use to frustrate me) that they are doing now…

I was just curious, but for those that have the Alliant Visa Platinum Rewards credit card, I see no mention of Extended Warranty or Purchase Protection (90 days coverage for damaged, lost or stolen items)…So, i assume it doesn’t include those features…Is that correct?

FYI all: My annual fee billed yesterday, 5/3, at $59. I will defer this big decision another year. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Countchure blessings.

It’s not the new fee that is wrankling me. I cannot afford not to pay that. Instead it is the Alliant bill payer service. I’ve about had it and I’m ready to switch to another bill payer service if only I knew of the one I need.

This morning I discovered I had had a senior moment and paid the wrong payee. You might reasonably classify that as payer error. But if Alliant had not forced me to divide up payments to that payee into three separate payments, perhaps I would not have made the mistake!

Alliant’s bill payer daily pay limits are two in number. They limit the per diem payment to a single payee. They also have an overall per diem pay limit across all payments for that day. Both limits are too strict, at least for me. I need more generous limits.

Problem is, Alliant bill pay has never let me down . . not one time. When I make a payment it arrives the next day at the payee’s place of business, just like clockwork!

So there is good and bad with the Alliant service. It’s a quandary.

Argyll I use Alliant bill pay to pay off my monthly CC bills. I have found the Alliant service to be 100% reliable. When I request a bill be paid, it is paid, with never a glitch or failure so far. And that I something upon which I heavily rely and very much appreciate.

My only problem with the Alliant bill pay service is the dollar limits, which for me are severely restrictive.

Let me analogize:

At Alliant the overnight ACH funds movements are equally reliable as bill pay. But the dollar limits, since they were reined in several years ago, can at times be problematic.

I finally found, at PurePoint, equally great ACH funds movement reliability without the dollar restrictions Alliant now imposes. Sure wish PurePoint would do for bill payments what they have done for ACH. But PurePoint does not even offer a bill pay service.:frowning_face: