Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

All credit for this success to pattyb53, a very plucky lady if I say so myself. Again, for EMPHASIS, all credit to pattyb53. I hope that is clearly understood.

Based on her post, above, I applied and gained entry into Grow with no issues. My funding was via credit card . . . made a few bucks on that. :grinning:

After logging into my new Grow account I was not able to locate a path to open a new MM Promo (Grow’s name for this) account. Did find ways to open other sorts of accounts, but not the one I wanted.

Q: So Shin, what did you do next?

I telephoned Grow, spoke with a rep, and explained what I wanted to do . . . . namely to open a new MM Promo account. Keep in mind my savings was already open, awaiting funding from my credit card.

The rep said “no problem” and he opened the MM Promo account for me straightaway. But there was the matter of funding. It takes at least $1000 before you can earn the high 2.75% APY promo rate.

Rep said not an issue if the MM Promo funding takes a few days, long enough for me to set up an ACH link and then send in the dough.

So bottom line, thanks again to pattyb53, am happy camper sitting here with a MM account that pays 2.75% APY rate locked for one year.

Life is good!:joy:

shinobi, Thanks for the credit.

After I read your post I thought I better give Grow a call to make sure I had done everything correctly. I had added the MM acct on my own & it showed no % rate. It is a little confusing. The rep told me that it was correct & would show the % of interest when I transferred funds into Savings & moved the money over to the MM act.

You know that after as many Account openings that we have all made, each one can be different. :wink:

How did you & Shinobi join the GROW CU?
Shinobi , was cc funding not a cash advance…may I ask which cc?

Different people are choosing different paths in. I went with the Friends of US Military Families. Cost was $5 and a good cause it seems to me. I posted up thread a link to the starter page for membership application. In that drop down menu you find there I made my choice and then went forward from there.

After gaining Grow membership I went over to the Friends of US Military Families website and paid my $5 using PayPal. Kept a copy of my receipt as membership proof on chance it might be requested by Grow. You never know. :wink:

Dunno yet. Will not know for a few days. Used Freedom CU CC. Have had good luck with that card elsewhere . . . . but you never know.

Should it turn out to be a CA I will just flip the money to Freedom CU and pay off the charge very quickly. They do not charge a lot of interest in any event. This morning I had to pay all of eleven cents in interest for a CA from February of the same size that I paid off quickly.

You earned it, pattyb53. So happy I listened to you instead of Ken Tumin!:grin:

Only thing remaining a mystery for me is how you were able to open the MM Promo account on your own, without calling them. I could not find the way to do that. Oh, well. We both have the account and that is what really matters. 2.75% APY is a high interest rate for liquid funds. And the one year rate lock is nothing short of amazing! Where else can you find a deal like that with NCUA insurance to boot and no maximum.

One more thing shinobi.

How does your MM acct on your online site list the account? Mine says Money Market. Does yours say MM Promo? If that is the case I’m going to have to call again.

Forget that last post shinobi.

I checked my account again & now it says… Money Market Promo.

Happy Days are here again…:wink:

1 Like

RE:“No ACH transfers directly out of the Money Market account. Funds must be transferred from the Money Market account to a Grow Financial checking or savings account, and then an ACH transfer can be initiated. There are no dollar limits on ACH transfers.”
Is this only for xfrs initiated at GROW FCU? Anyone know if transfers out &in of the GROW 2.75apy promo money market could be initiated at an external bank?

So I’m in the same boat as shinobi and pattyb53 as far as membership and MM account. Did you all also open a checking account for ach transfers? I am not seeing an easy way around the $5 monthly fee for that which is annoying.

zzz, I’m going with the savings for my ACH transfers. One is probably as good as the other.

1 Like

The rep who assisted me gave me their special account number, for ACH purposes, to allow me to transfer funds via ACH directly into my new Grow MM Promo account. Here is the structure of that special ACH account number:

00010XXXXXXX8

In the above, the X’s are my seven-digit Grow account number, the one I received at time of joining the credit union.

I cannot be absolutely certain the last number, 8, will be the same for everyone. It probably is, but it might be best to telephone them and double check.

I have in process, at Alliant, establishment of a direct ACH link between Alliant and my Grow MM Promo account. Soon as that link is finalized I will be ACHing money from Alliant to Grow. Funding for my Grow savings is proceeding on a separate track, credit card. Once those funds are available in savings I will transfer most of that money to MM Promo as well. But it’s not enough by itself to reach the $1000 threshold, so the ACH money is also needed.

I did not open a Grow checking account. I see no need for that account at this time.

1 Like

Please refer to my post just above. No question you can push money directly into your Grow MM Promo. Pulls? I dunno for sure. Am not at that point yet.

For certain, in either instance, initiation of ACH would be at a financial institution external to Grow.

Now I know. Charge settled into my Freedom CU CC account over last night. It is not a cash advance, but is instead on the credit side of the account. Life is good. :grinning:

OK, sure, it’s only five bucks. But you take your victories where you find 'em. That five bucks pays my fee to join Friends of US Military Families . . . . so I join Grow for free and contribute to a good cause at the same time. What’s not to like about that?

1 Like

As usual shinobi, you have all the good info.

I just called Grow about transferring funds directly into our MM Promo acct. This being Saturday the rep had never heard of their Promo MM account. It’s true as others at Ken’s site have said, there is no info on the site about this promo. (but we knew about it early from shinobi)

But back to my question to her. She didn’t know anything except “ACH funds to Savings then transfer to MM account” I would rather have that special acct # for ACH purposes. But I will call again Monday.

Actually I have already started the process for ACH Transfers using my Savings acct. I suppose that will work, but it’s an extra move. shinobi, how do you get these good, knowledgeable agents when you call?

Is being on the American Consumer Council by itself good enough for memebership? I saw some wording that said being on it and living in xyz so was confused whether I would have to choose another like the one shinobi did.

I thank zjts for this post. I believe those words might have come from Ken’s website. Whether thanks to this post by zjts, or just on my own, I’m not certain. But I have re-visited, re-thought, this matter as follows:

The rep who helped me, who worked with me, to come up with the ACH account number for my new Grow MM Promo account never said a word about withdrawals. The entire discussion at that point centered on account funding. Period. Obviously this means we were exploring a more straightforward means for me to deposit money into my new account in order to get it up and running.

Hence there is no inconsistency between the above post by zjts and my experience. zjts is posting regarding withdrawals from the Grow MM Promo account. Without knowing absolutely for certain, I have to allow it is entirely possible the credit union disallows such withdrawals to be done via direct ACH.

I may learn a bit more shortly. As I wrote above, I am in process of establishing an ACH link between Alliant and Grow, directly to my MM Promo account. As those of you familiar with Alliant are aware, they do both a test deposit and a test withdrawal as part of their ACH testing protocol. If the deposit executes and the withdrawal does not it will be a tip off, a confirmation, that Grow does not allow direct withdrawals from their MM Promo accounts. We shall see what happens and I will report back once there is something to report.

Dunno. But I recall when joining Sharonview, they wanted a regionally restricted version of ACC and all I had was the national version . . . . which I tried to use. Sharonview rebuffed my attempt and forced me to choose a different route entirely to eligibility qualification.

In a related matter, I am an HSBC customer . . . but not an HSBC member insofar as I’m aware. I do have, and use, an HSBC credit card. Does that make me a “member”? I do not think so, but cannot say for certain. Rather than possibly have to hassle my way through such as that, I simply bought a Friends of US Military Families membership for five bucks. I have the PayPal receipt, which I printed out and am keeping a copy in my Grow folder, as proof of membership should Grow ever challenge me. Grow is a military-oriented credit union so best, I thought, to join the team and cast aside all doubt.

shinobi,

Speaking of Sharonview, did you notice the lovely 4% rate of interest we just received. Love it, but it’s my only 4 yr CD, it matures in 2023 ( my DL ends that year). I never go for this long a CD, & I missed out on another one that was offered about the same time.

But back to this one, Grow FFCU. I can see my small deposits in the Savings today. I ACH transferred money from my EBSB to Grow this morning, so it should show up tomorrow. Then I will find out how you move those funds over to the MM Promo acct.

You’re at least one day ahead of me, pattyb53. I have nothing yet. Hopes are high for tomorrow morning, though.:grinning: