CD Discussion Thread

This is Michigan only but I’m mentioning it because it’s the best deal I’ve seen for high balance accounts in last 6 months.

Arbor Financial Credit Union (MI) has a 34-month BOOST Certificate with tiered APYs, including 3.65% APY ($250k) and 3.40% APY ($125k min). Requires $25k in new money.

via Deposit Accounts http://bit.ly/2jmdVAU

1 Like

Per Ken, Connexus Credit Union raised their 60-Month CD rate to 3.40% APY. Nationally available, easy membership requirement. 5K minimum deposit.

2 Likes

Just saw Ken’s post on Connexus CU as well. Read the the reviews and there seem to be quite a number of negative ones. I am not a member thinking of locking some funds with the 60 mths 3.4% cd. Is there a hard pull to open? Experience anyone? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Pioneer Valley Credit Union (MA) has a 60 month Certificate at 3.50% APY. $1,000 Minimum deposit. It looks like you can join the MA chapter of ACC for free, which qualifies anyone for membership - need verification from someone who has done this.

** edit to add - appears membership is limited - "Joining ACC, MA Chapter is free which qualifies you for membership. You qualify if you are a consumer who lives, works, or worships in Massaschusetts or any of the following states: Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, or Rhode Island. "

I wonder what they consider “worshipping” in Massachusetts? Anyone who has ever driven in Boston has certainly prayed in Massachusetts.

4 Likes

Is a 14 month CD deal at 3.15% APY a good deal?

I’m not sure.

Anyway, NWFCU members can try for this deal if you like it. Call them, ask for the “inspire deal”, and see what happens.

Q: So Shin, you’re not sure whether this deal exists, or not?

It exists. Whether it is being offered to all members is the question. Ya gotta call if you like the deal.

Q: You got the number?

Sure:

ETA

And do not forget, the NWFCU “Opportunity CD” deal remains available for certain at 3.25% APY. This is documented up thread.

Good question!! Right now I’m beginning to add $'s to my United Bank Flex-add on CD 3.15%. I purchased it last year for minimum $500, & it matures 6/2020. So today, it would amount to close to a 1yr CD 3.15%.
So I would say 14 mo CD 3.15% is about as good as it gets today…

On the other hand NWFCU 36Mo 3.25% is longer but not much better rate. What say you?

I sure tried to get in on the Frontwave 4yr 4% CD. I’m located in CA & I have relatives in the mentioned counties, but I couldn’t manage, they were just “to pickey” to allow me in.

Ally lowered 12 month CD from 2.70% to 2.60% today.

1 Like

I have been ruminating with regard to the NWFCU deal for quite a long while. So far, no decision. Don’t know whether or not it even remains available.

Thng is, unable to foresee direction of interest rates. There are so many cross currents, especially with 2020 being an election year.

Will I figure it out? I dunno. Not so far, that’s for sure. Crystal ball is 100% opaque.

Got it right early in 2017. Guess everyone did. Tell me who wins in November of 2020 and I’ll have a much better clue as to what to do. Right now I have no idea.

1 Like

Yes I got in on 2-3 of those good deals early on. Now, things are pretty unclear.

I’m getting in on a deal in Indiana right now. I have close relatives in one of the counties mentioned on the Centra CU 10-Mo 3.25%. Not anything to “sit the world on fire”, but that’s what I have been working on this morning.

You can get 3.20% APR on a two year (ten grand minimum) at USPSFCU . . . except maybe not.

Q: Huh?

Sorry I only JUST found out about this. Rates re-set each month at the beginning of the month. You must join by mail and . .

Q: Can anyone join?

Yes, anyone is permitted to join USPSFCU if you first join the American Philatelic Society. But you cannot join USPSFCU online. You must mail in your application!

Q: Shin, are you in?

I will wait the two days until Saturday June first, or maybe even four days until Monday just to be safe. If the rate holds I will at that point reach a decision.

Sorry this news is coming too late in May to be of much use . . . unless you live nearby to one of their branches or (if not) unless they hold the rate into June. If the rate holds we will have all month to move on this (I hope).

Q: You gonna provide a link, or what?

Sure, here is your link:

USPSFCU

1 Like

This is pursuant to the USPSFCU deal I just posted immediately above.

Those who do not squeeze their nickels until the buffalo grunts might want to consider instead the current Hanscom deal at 3% for nineteen months.

Q: Why?

Your maturity will be much closer to the election. You will have your money back and simultaneously know the election’s outcome. Price you pay, of course, is a slightly lower YTM. And the Hanscom thrive account will even help you recoups a small amount of that shortfall.

Q: Link?

Always:

Link to HFCU

:rofl:

1 Like

It’s pitiful that we are getting excited over a 2yr 3.25% CD. But, I guess if we compare it to some accounts of old. (I still have that GTE add-on CD 2.15%)

We have to compare against what is available today. If you search for two year certificates over at Ken’s place, a yield of 3.20% APR is very competitive. Two year yields now are running circa 3%.

I do understand that the $10,000 minimum might be a problem for some individuals. But the rate itself is good, and $10,000 while high is not outlandish.

Speaking of which:

Ken still does not have this deal. The top seven CD deals on his blog are all local deals that almost nobody really can get.

Also the USPSFCU deal started on May first and Ken never put it up. He is a professional. Supposedly.

Word has just come down that USPSFCU WILL be holding the 3.2% APR rate into June.

Digging deeper now at USPSFCU

Warning possible problem and deal killer (you decide):

Renewal Process - Your certificate may automatically renew at maturity unless you advise us of your desire not to
renew prior to maturity, or your membership is not a personal membership. There is no Grace Period to withdraw
without penalty after automatic renewal.

Also

Word is this CU only permits withdrawals by mailed check.

Be very careful and investigate thoroughly. You have been warned timely. Please note I have not telephoned USPSFCU so there might be mitigating information I do not have.

Hmmmm

Hanscom looking better now :wink:

1 Like

I got an offer for a 2.75% 10-month from Navy Federal:

" Open a Special 10-Month Certificate (Share/IRA/ESA) and earn 2.75% APY. Start with as little as $50 and make additional deposits anytime for 10 months, up to $100,000."

Definitely considering this, at least for the $50 just to keep it as an option.

The big thing that I don’t like here is; you must move your monthly interest out of the CD & into something else, like savings or taking a check etc.

There is no compounding of interest!! Compounding of interest is where you make your $'s. At least that’s the way I feel about it.

It also refers to the collection, appreciation and research activities on stamps and other philatelic products. Philately involves more than just stamp collecting, which does not necessarily involve the study of stamps. It is possible to be a philatelist without owning any stamps.

I am relieved about the last bit. I haven’t owned any stamps in years.
:slight_smile: