CD Discussion Thread

Questions Argyll:
You ask a rep at NFCU to open a $$ CD for you.
How long do they give you to get the funds into the acct?
So you have a CD acct #, just waiting for you to fund the acct?

Interesting… I’d like to try this option, especially when it might take me sometime to have the funds available…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

PattyB35,

it is a small difference between the GTE and Navy, regarding the CDs. You can open them online if you have the funds available in the Checking/saving at the bank.
If you do not have the funds available at the bank, you can open them by phone.

At Navy, they will pull the money from the other bank (usually they ask another financial institution to issue a check on your name), opening the CD when you make the phone call. The check is clearing in a few days, but the CD is opened on the date when you made the phone call, starting to collect interest when the CD is opened.

At GTE, they will open the CD by phone and you have 30 days to fund the CD. If you did not fund the CD in 30 days they will close the CD. Have no idea if the CD start to collect interest from day one when it was opened, or from the day the CD was funded.

2 Likes

Interest commences to accrue on day they receive the funds.

Also at GTE I have made inquiry regarding penalty-free withdrawal of CD dividends. Answer I received was “yes” penalty-free withdrawal of dividends is allowed.

Interest rates do not now appear to be headed higher. But if things turn around during the next five years at least we will be able, at both NFCU and GTE, to seize our interest/dividends and reinvest same at the higher interest rate . . . . if there ever is a higher rate.:slightly_frowning_face:

ETA

The above applies to delayed funding situations, which is the situation in which I find myself. If you actually provide GTE a funding source they might commence interest payments earlier.

I didn’t do that. Instead I’m riding the no funding 30-day rate lock with no obligation ever to fund wave. It is absolutely the best deal in the USA, bar none. That said, at this point I totally anticipate funding the account once I have the money. Aside from NFCU, and possibly even including NFCU when you consider the add-on, that GTE deal is the best anywhere.

1 Like

Thanks Argyll, I really appreciate this info.

I have been around here for some time, actually several years. I never knew we could open a CD by phone without having the funds available at their site. I always ACH transfer the funds to the site savings or checking & then process the deal.

Learn something new every day! :blush:

1 Like

Actually this is even better than I was thinking. I can only ACH transfer a max $25K per day from Alliant CU to Navy FCU. By phoning a rep I could have more than $25K sitting in my checking & open a larger CD immediately. Is this correct?

In most cases a bank rep will override any ACH limits when opening a cd. At least every time I’ve done a rep initiated external to internal ACH they have (across various banks).

2 Likes

Andrews FCU is offering several CD specials of varying terms. These specials, annoyingly, cannot be found on Andrews’ CD rate page. However you may click below to view their special rate page, where their various current high rate deals are revealed:

Andrews FCU “Special Offer” CD rate page

Q: So shin, are the rates any good . . . . or just junk?

Answer to that will vary with the individual. Opinions will differ. I myself am not in at this time because I have no dough and because I’m still counting on my GTE deal for when my money comes in.

By the way, both the NFCU and the GTE jumbo promo five year CD deals remain available today, Friday.

1 Like

Many thanks for the info on Andrews FCU.

Even if I wanted to scrape for more funds I would not go for an 84mo CD. But it is a very good rate today. I have an Andrew CD that matures 9/1/19. I’ll be looking for a placement for those funds then.

Ally dropped rates on two of their no-penalty CDs -

11mo no-penalty CD w/5K minimum deposit now at 2.05% APY
11mo no-penalty CD w/25K minimum deposit now at 2.20% APY

2 Likes

Saturday CD maturities are vexing

I prefer it when certificates mature on a business day. But not all financial institutions provide for this, in fact many do not.

Tomorrow (Saturday) one of my CDs will mature in the central time zone. It’s a lot of money, at least it is to me. But fortunately (explanation follows) the size of the CD exceeds $25,000. Equally fortunate, the financial institution has staff working tomorrow and able to close the CD and move the funds to my savings account, whereupon the money becomes available straightaway. I have checked on this and the CD closure and funds transfer to savings are both prearranged.

The amount of the CD proceeds being in excess of $25,000, current rules exclude same day ACH from being applicable to my situation. Next year that maximum will increase to $100,000. But not yet. Also, a check with the financial institution holding my money confirms that their back office people will shut down completely and head home at roughly 6:00 PM CT this afternoon, will not be working over the weekend, and will not reopen until this coming Monday morning. So even a same day ACH withdrawal order for my funds, were it to arrive after 6:00 PM CT today, would not be fulfilled until next week.

Course I don’t want to have a lot of my money just sitting there in savings, earning virtually nothing, for two days. Enter our friends at PurePoint, saviours that they are. PurePoint allows initiation of ACH funds movements up until 8:00 PM CT, long after the folks at my financial institution have closed up shop and gone home. And PurePoint commences interest payment from the moment you enter the ACH on their website (“instant interest”).

So the plan is to wait until they all are home, initiate the ACH at PurePoint thereafter, and then tomorrow move the funds from the (by then) matured CD to savings, which account already has been linked to PurePoint. I expect the matured CD funds will be withdrawn from my savings, via ACH, early Monday morning. But meanwhile, courtesy of PurePoint, I suffer no lost interest.

Life is good. :grinning:

But Saturday CD maturities are still annoying.:frowning_face:

1 Like

shinobi, don’t your friends at PurePoint keep those funds for several days before you can move them out?

But, your plan sounds fantastic. You’ve got your bases connected. Are you interested in being “hired out”? :innocent:

Correct, pattyb53. But I do not mind because I’m earning at least a small amount of interest at Purepoint (2.15% APY) during that interval. Also:

Had I used Alliant instead, it would have meant dispatching the ACH at noon central. That is the Alliant cutoff. I am almost certain that would have been OK. But by waiting until much later today, all possible doubt is extinguished.

Also at Alliant, I would have the funds on Monday, Tuesday latest, having lost either two or three days of interest. But:

Trouble

It is because I can only move $25K/day out of Alliant and into Grow, which is where I want the funds to end up. Using PurePoint with their MUCH higher ACH limits, on the fourth day all of those funds can be moved to Grow at once.

PurePoint allows you to move a quarter million $$$ per day. My account is not that large.

Noted in passing:

Both the NFCU and the GTE jumbo 5 year CD deals remain alive today, Saturday.

Q: Shin, are you seeing anything else out there which might offer us some reasonable income from an insured CD?

I looked around. I found nothing else. I hope other contributors here, if you find something along the lines of a decent yielding CD . . . . . please post.

Q: Shin, are you begging?

Not gonna say

8 months @ 2.83% is pretty sweet.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree. There is serious discussion around, e.g. in the WSJ and at Bloomberg, about negative interest rates.

Personally looking to lock in the most I’m able for as long as possible.

At some point it becomes more profitable to look at dividend aristocrat stocks (stocks that have consistently increased their dividend every year for 25+ years) than low rate cd’s or bide your time until the market drops significantly and then buy in…if it lowers again significantly buy in again. Some of the money I have in cd’s is explicitly for that purpose.

5 Likes

Interesting. I’ve never reached that point. But then I’ve only been retired for 30++ years. Perhaps in future I will wise up.:grinning:

As of Monday, 12 August, both the NFCU and GTE jumbo five year high rate CD deals remain available.

Also a very minor point I only just noticed:

The GTE five year NON jumbo CD, which requires a reasonable $500 to get going, has a stated APR of 3.00%. This means the APY for this CD has to be circa 3.04% or 3.05% . . . something like that. And it is an add-on. That is not such a bad deal for savers who are unable to ante up a hundred grand, but still want a decent rate along with the add-on feature. I own one of these CDs, by the way, bought a while back.

1 Like

With assets exceeding $90 billion, NFCU is the largest credit union in the USA. NFCU has over twice the assets of the next largest USA credit union.

GTE Financial’s assets, by way of contrast, are just a bit less than $2 billion.

Bauer gives NFCU five stars for safety, which is Bauer’s highest rating. Bauer gives GTE four stars for safety, still a very high rating and within Bauer’s “recommended” category.

Big surprise for me… Got a notice Saturday that one of my CD’s is maturing soon. It is Andrews FCU 6Mo Military Promo. Maturing 9/1/19, & I didn’t have it listed on my cheat sheet.

Like shinobi, I have multiple CD’s & Savings etc. I can’t imagine not having noticed this one coming due. So what to do with this landslide? If NFCU decent rates are still available at months end I’ll probably go for it.

I might just hold off & go for our Grow Promo liquid. I think it is good until March or April 2020.