Cheap easy ways to save on gas

What makes you think that they sometimes have TopTier gas?
I thought any (Top Tier) additives are mixed in by the fuel truck, so that one truck can refill different brands.

I wouldn’t recommend this on older cars that weren’t designed for it. How many 100’s of gallons would one have to save to pay for a new starter, that has prematurely worn out. The car’s battery life will also be reduced since starting the car draws a lot of electricity, without giving it a chance to fully re-charge if this is constantly being done. After each start, the alternator will have to work harder to re-charge the battery, so there will be an increase in gas consumption after each start.

A better way might be to put the transmission into park; you’ll be surprised how little gas is being used while idling.

3 Likes

How do you manage to earn that many points for the $1 off?

Almost all Gift Card purchases made with your account earns 2 points per $1 spent. Excluded are Albertsons Companies Gift Cards, Chevron, Texaco, Shell, American Express®, MasterCard®, Visa®, NetSpend®, PayPower™, Green Dot®, Green Dot® Reload and Reloadit, Univision Mastercard® Prepaid Card and T-Mobile® Prepaid Debit Card.

So, in my market, there are only 2 local processors of fuel used by stations. The way I have seen the video is that the fuel trucks load the mix which already has the additive into the blend. The trucks typically carry the two octanes and sometimes also diesel. There was definitely no additives being done at delivery point.

One of the main independent chains essentially buys capacity from week to week based on who is offering the best price. He has indicated in interviews and via GasBuddy that it is always TopTier, just not a consistent variant (could be Chevron one week, then Shell, then 76, etc.).

Is it possible that the grocery chains are buying fuel from these processors and leaving out the extra additives that all other retailers in the market use? Fuel Stations - TOP TIER™ Yes, it is possible. Is it possible that the grocery chains are buying the same formula, but do not pay the TopTier license fee? Yes, that is possible too.

I find the grocery chains have much more wild swing pricing versus Costco (who probably is one of the biggest volume buyers). This to me indicates spot market buying which is less predictable, but also indicates buying fuel processed for another marketer (very likely to be TopTier).

Great question. So, it looks like you are reviewing the Safeway/Albertsons side. As we have all seen with the entry of Aldi and more discount grocery chains, the supermarket wars are only getting bigger. In the past few cycles, this chain has been doing 4x on many grocery items (essentially $25 for 10 cents off gas). Also, I regularly get 20 cents bonuses stacked on J4U when I spend $30-$60 (it has been happening weekly). One can focus on sale items and should be able to clear 40 to 50 cents gas rewards a week easily (without buying gift cards).

On the Kroger side, it is not as lucrative, but with the receipt survey, getting 10 cents a week should be very easy.

Rasheed

2 Likes

As for Kroger, they regularly have 4X rewards on gift card purchases.

The fuel costs >10 seconds has been measured and verified :

Lots of restarts could wear out the starter faster. Not sure how to quantify that.

Hybrids with the technology built in have better starters able to handle it.

What I have noticed while traveling out of state is the gas prices advertised in some places on the signs are for “cash” prices. Once you take the pump off the cradle and swipe your debt/credit card the per gallon price increase can be 5 - 20 cents.

I wouldn’t turn off the engine of my car while idling for a short time (i.e. drive thru) because of the wear and tear on the starter, engine, electronics, and other components driven by the engine (water pump, fan, a/c). My car does NOT have any sort of stop/start feature. Cars that have the stop/start feature are specifically designed to be able to turn the engine off and on while not affecting those other items. If you really want to know if it’s a good idea, ask your mechanic if he thinks you should turn your (non stop/start) car off when you’re going to be idling for about a minute. Use the “turn your car off while idling” strategy at your own risk.

2 Likes

Mechanic might tell you it is a good idea to make you one of his regulars :wink:
Turning off the engine will save you gas, but will end up costing you more in repairs.

2 Likes

Agreed. I have a very high credit score and applying for the Fort Knox card was the most difficult process I have ever gone through. It was similar to applying for a mortgage. The upside is that you don’t get points that you need to redeem, the 5% is applied as a credit every statement period.

Find out if you have coworkers near you and car pool. My brother started doing this and reduced his gas consumption, cut his parking expenses and toll costs, lowered his insurance rate (less miles) and gets to sleep a bit longer during the ride on the days he’s not driving. Just make sure the people in your group are dependable.

5 Likes