Colgate toothpaste - a "Total scam"

You make a great point! I just looked and today’s travel size tubes can actually be less than one ounce.

I was working from memory and going back fifty years. So sure, my 4 oz. recollection could be off. Don’t think so, though. 4 oz sort of sticks in my mind.

But given the tiny size of today’s travel tubes, the comparison with 5.1 oz. becomes more understandable. I did not consider their having reduced the travel size along with everything else.

I guess, moving forward, someday in future they will sell you only just an empty carton but charge regardless for a tube of toothpaste. Seems like some posters here would accept such a zero option deal with scant protest, and valiantly make effort to brush their teeth with cardboard. Do not count me among their numbers, but I’ll be dead by then anyway so what does it matter.:wink:

I don’t mind the changes so much, but it really pisses me off when companies try to hide it by manipulating the packaging, like adding big voids on the bottom of a tin.

Ultimately, though, the impact on me is negligible because I shop by unit pricing. The impact is the same whether they increase the price or decrease the quantity, and it makes it easier to compare prices between stores and types of packaging.

2 Likes

There is absolutely nothing I can do to control toothpaste size. It’s completely outside my control. :grinning:

3 Likes

Nope. Does not seem like that at all. Not one bit.

On the one hand we’ve got slightly less toothpaste.
On the other hand we had the mass systematic murder of millions of people by an insane dictator.

So no. Nope. Those are not similar things in any way. No.

5 Likes

Noooooo. It was ppl have been doing this forever to which it implies length of time doing something equates to morality.

So … no. Its not ok just because they have been doing it for a long time.

1 Like

Nope. Its not ok to make analogies about Hitler when talking about toothpaste.

11 Likes

Lol this what made me laugh the most this week.

1 Like

They know exactly how stupid we are.

6 Likes

Well then dont say because its been done a long time its ok. Because its devotive n its not ok

Cold makes shrinkage.

2 Likes

“No toothpaste for you!” - Seinfeld

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone said that.

I think the point was that this is “old news” rather than that its acceptable.

2 Likes

Now on the other hand if someone squeezes the tube from the middle and fails to put the cap back on …

4 Likes

Once you bring Hitler into the conversation, you can’t put that toothpaste back in the tube…

7 Likes

Hitler’s toothpaste:

Bastard reduced the size of tubes, too, and charged more for radioactivity!

[Doramad Radioactive Toothpaste - Wikipedia](Doramad Radioactive Toothpaste - Wikipedia]

6 Likes

Wow. I often underestimate exactly how stupid we are.

Changing the packaging size is often how companies try to hide inflation.

Notice when you buy a bag of potato chips the bag is like 50% air and more than half empty.

That’s to protect the chips from getting crushed! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hasn’t this always been the case though? I really don’t remember ever getting bags of chips that were 100% full or something.