Current Priceline Visa Rewards Card Question

Is anyone currently using the new priceline Visa Rewards credit card? I just booked a cruise through priceline, saw that they had a 5 percent cashback credit card, and applied for it. While I’m waiting to recieve the credit card I put the deposit for the cruise down on another credit card and noticed that the purchase was not keyed into that card as “priceline” but rather the name of the cruise company. Does this mean that if I pay off the balance of the cruise to priceline using the priceline Visa card I will not get the 5 percent cash back because it will not be keyed as “priceline?” Thanks. Edit: I read the Terms & Conditions of the Priceline Card and it does state cruises ARE a category that is eligible for the 5 percent cashback, but I guess I just don’t fully trust it given how the purchase is being keyed.

While I cant give you a specific answer on this I can tell you that Barclay who runs this card is the absolute worst company to deal with. I had to fight them in the past on rewards with many phone calls including formal complaints. I have a strong feeling that they will try and deny this reward since Priceline just keys things as Priceline. I think you should get documentation together and try to contact Barclay. In the tiny mice ype it might say only on cruises booked directly with the cruise lines. In that case you are out of luck.

[quote=“jman220, post:1, topic:1876”]
While I’m waiting to recieve the credit card I put the deposit for the cruise down on another credit card and noticed that the purchase was not keyed into that card as “priceline” but rather the name of the cruise company.[/quote]

Generally speaking, “priceline” purchases are those that you pay priceline for, and then they in turn pass payment on to the company they contract with. Typically, these are so-called “opaque” situations, like “Name your own price” (NYOP) and express deal trips.

My guess is that for your cruise, priceline was simply the online broker (like expedia would be), for which they get a commission. In such a case, there’s a chance you’d get 5%, but I don’t think it would be gaurunteed–unless your T&C is more inclusive than those on the legacy 2% card.

I think that’s probably right, per the above.

[quote=“robertw477, post:2, topic:1876”]
I can tell you that Barclay who runs this card is the absolute worst company to deal with. I had to fight them in the past on rewards with many phone calls including formal complaints.[/quote]

I’ve had decent luck with them, FWIW.

Most recently, on my new Wyndham card, I had a las vegas property’s deposit post as 1% when it should have posted 5%. I called, explained the situation, and they processed an inquiry to get it corrected. About three weeks later, I got the 4% difference in points added on.

a) Earn five (5) points for every dollar spent on all eligible purchases made at priceline.com®. Eligible purchases include: cruises (as defined by merchant category code), Name Your Own Price®, Express Deals™ and Pay Now bookings, as well as purchases of Trip Protection products, made on priceline.com. A Pay Now booking is any booking that requires payment at the time of booking and Priceline.com is the merchant of record. For more information on Name Your Own Price and Express Deals, and Trip Protection, please see priceline.com.

The way I’ve always understood it, if Priceline performs the transaction you will get your points. If the merchant uses their own merchant processor, then Priceline only acted as a middle man and you won’t get your points.

What seems interesting is the T&C of this card does have a line about cruise MMC so I think this is in addition to the 3 basic categories (NYOP, Express, Pay Now). I’m thinking it should go through, if the merchant categorizes themselves correctly. (even if Priceline isn’t the merchant)

As with all MCC situations if they don’t categorize correctly you’re SOL. It would be the vendor at fault here for trying to skirt category fees, but there’s nothing you can really do about that.