Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

No, but it’s more subject to biases than if it was placebo controlled. However, given the outcome was a PCR+ covid test (or not), I don’t think there’s a big placebo effect there. If you asked people about their subjective symptoms, maybe. Plus the groups were very similar in demographics, which is good as well.

The main limitations as I see them are that it was a relatively small group and it was basically young healthy people (healthcare workers), so it might not generalize to others.

If you’re interested, they review the literature and prior findings, for example HCQs use in lab cells vs covid, animal models, vs other types of viruses, for why it makes sense to try this and why it might be expected to work.

2 Likes

This island is on an HCQ mine, and the entire population has remained free of the dreaded virus … and the story is from the AP so it’s gotta be true.

Support Italia

//tongue-in-cheek-mode off

With apologies to Trump supporters, I have a criticism. I support him too, overall, but the truth will out:

And the truth is Trump’s vanity and selfcenteredness have cost many lives where HCQS is concerned. This is because:

1. Trump knows HCQS can help in our battle against COVID-19 when administered early.

2. Trump knows he is passionately detested by a great many people, often to the point of absolute obsession.

Therefore Trump, if he cared about saving lives, would have kept his fat yap closed where HCQS is concerned.

Trump had other options. He could have made the good news about HCQS known covertly, without tying the treatment to himself. Other people could have put the good news out at Trump’s behest, were he not so selfish.

While I continue to support President Trump, I do wonder at times whether he has any self awareness, or situational awareness, whatsoever. Certainly in the case of HCQS, he failed us.

4 Likes

Coronavirus food acquisition update:

Do not read this if you’re still buying food at your supermarket . . . but do know our prayers are with you.

The Texas 1015 onions arrived yesterday, 25 pounds of 'em. They are a LOT different than Vidalias (which are now out of season) and they are not as good. However, I had one for dinner last evening and . . . . not too bad.

Each 1015 I received is roughly the size of a softball. There were 23 in all. They came in from Pittman Davis, where you still can buy them if you need onions.

Those with supermarket access can of course purchase (stored) Vidalias. It’s a really big temptation. But I’m resisting so far because I prefer to remain healthy.

Also yesterday oranges arrived from Staples. It was my fourth and worst shipment. They shipped in a huge box, far too large. About half the oranges received physical damage during shipment because of this. However, it was clear the oranges were in nice shape when shipped. Pity. I’m going to telephone Staples and ask for an adjustment.

My local supplier will be home delivering food tomorrow, to include lettuce, cantaloupe, potatoes, blueberries . . . all from a variety of local farms. It’s a nice service and it helps our local growers to remain afloat during these difficult pandemic days.

Anyway, doing OK obtaining food while remaining safe. It is an interesting challenge. Always there is one obstacle or another which must be overcome.

3 Likes

You keep pushing your theory that Trump is a cartoonish evil genius villain. Hiding proof of effectiveness from the American people and keeping it to just elites. Directing the CDC and his health officials to hide the facts.

The explanation that he’s selfish (and thinks he’s garnering support from a useful though minority base by elevating witch doctors that say there is dna from aliens in vaccines and demon sperm, rather than actually taking the crazy seriously) and incompetent is much more reasonable, straightforward, and (relatively) less damaging. The problem is the recklessness is damaging to lives, both through quality of life loss in creating this longer term virus quagmire as well as direct harm to health of Americans.

If we were collectively more responsible earlier in the year, things could already be much closer to the old “normal”, AND there would also be much less economic pain, loss of life, and reduction in quality of life. The past is done and is hindsight, but the same will be true tomorrow when looking back at today. The issue is ongoing.

7 Likes

Yes. There was another document were they supported a progerssive agenda.

But conflating the two documents is the gross lie.

e.g. here is some awful journalism :

Read just the headline. " Teachers Unions Want Wealth Taxes, Charter School Bans, and Medicare for All Before Schools Can Reopen

Now scroll scroll scroll all the way down down down to the bottom to see them tack on the correction that admits that their headline is actually totally wrong.

Then after SEVERAL right wing media propaganda wings spew this same lie accidentally we get people running around believing that teachers won’t go to work unless the police are defunded.

But they are NOT demanding medicare for all as part of their bargaining agreement.
I like chocolate chip cookies. This does not mean I demand chocolate chip cookies be provided to me before I will do my job.

Yeah there LA teachers union might be led by wack job liberals. That ain’t news and who cares? Anyone here have a kid in the LA schools ? nope? ok.
I bet the Cheyenne Wyoming teachers union and 8000 other school districts are not ran by liberals.

Runs both ways. Liberal media outlets should be held accountable if they spread outright lies. Their readers should also not just gullibly swallow anything the reporters claim.

2 Likes

Huh? He’s clearly been saying the opposite. That Trump’s promotion of that drug has turned others automatically against it. Had Trump kept his mouth shut, it’s very likely HCQS would be getting much more favorable consideration.

2 Likes

FTFY.

If people don’t ack that our leaders have utterly failed us, both nationally and in many states, then they’re just part of the state of ignorance that makes up a lot of America now.

3 Likes

Hey well there ya go.

Lets all start doing the things that Trump DOESN"T promote! Cause he’s clearly SECRETLY not promoting the actual good stuff cause he actually knows that if he did promote it then the liberal fake news would just prove him wrong. THEREFORE… he’s actually NOT promoting the actual good stuff secretly and the real insiders must know that AND so the only logical thing to do is exactly the opposite of what Trump tells us to do. Its pretty obvious if you think about it.

3 Likes

No, if Trump “knew”, that means there’s evidence supporting it. And since the CDC, FDA, and the Administration’s other health officials clearly say there’s not and advise against it – that means the only way he can “know” is if he’s intentionally hiding the evidence from the American people and directing government agencies to mislead the American people.

Obviously, the most likely explanation is not the above. Because that would require a vast conspiracy, and many of the respected health officials involved would resign rather than participate in such conspiracy.

GTFan is a liar when he purports to show the above as a quote from me. I did not write that. GTFan edited what I wrote without telling you. There is no disclaimer, only bolding which is meaningless (it could have been my own bolding).

GTFan’s post is a fraud. Only dishonest and dishonorable people pull stunts like that. I do not like what he did and I do not appreciate being lied about and having my words changed and misrepresented.

… He clearly indicated that the bolded portion was changed in both wording and intent. FTFY = [I] Fixed That For You.

If you don’t know what the term means, generally the reasonable course of action is to find the meaning (either searching yourself with minimal effort for 1 second on Google, or by asking in a reply and wasting everyone else’s time) rather than just pretend it’s meaningless and be outraged.

3 Likes

Really? That’s what you are going to choose to argue? That he said “know” instead of “suggests” or “thinks” or any number of other words that would convey the point he was making, rather than addressing the actual point?

That’s really petty. And such arguments are why you dont gain any ground with Trump supporters, no matter how ‘obvious’ you think it is that you’re right.

2 Likes

None of those is better in context, and they all suggest an evil genius villain situation. If he just “feels” it’s so, with no evidence, then he would have directed the skilled agencies he oversees to investigate, and they would have found such evidence (rather than evidence of ineffectiveness). And after learning his"feeling" was baseless, he would stop endangering the health of the public by continuing to spout nonsense, like continuing to retweet encouragement to violate local laws and not wear masks in public and advising to illegally use drugs for purposes for which they are not approved. (The emergency use authorizations were pulled).

Yeah, but you generally dont directly attribute the “fix” to the original speaker. You either edit the quote with no attribution, or you include the “fix” in your response to the attributed quote.

1 Like

This is as asinine as claiming a study about people already requiring hospitalization not being helped by the drug is conclusive proof that the drug doesnt help prevent healthy people from becoming infected…

1 Like

FTFY

3 Likes

Pot. Kettle.

4 Likes

I have no clue what you’re talking about. You’re nuts.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to post whatever HCQ studies I’ve run across regardless of their results and the late stage use is pretty clearly not helpful. The early stage use, either pre exposure like the India one or shortly after exposure still seem to have promise. It’s not all or none.

The CDC is just busy trying to tell you not to snort it on your own, protecting people from their own stupidity, just like telling them they definitely shouldn’t go hoard N95s because, “don’t you know? masks don’t work, except on hospital staff”. I guess we’ve learned they will at least update us when they next change their mind.

4 Likes