Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

There are some scattered small studies in disagreement with the larger ones (that have also looked at pre exposure and early usage), but the
consensus has not changed at this time, this includes the Administration’s health officials and the CDC and FDA. It would be great if the weak studies in disagreement were backed up and found a flaw in the larger studies.

The emergency usage authorization being pulled reversed allowing Doctors to prescribe it for those situations. It was never available OTC, so self-prescription was always advised against.

Not sure how this also covers the advisement against masks, alien dna in vaccines, and demon sperm being now pushed by the president. (Yes, he doubled down in continued praise of the “doctor”, backtracking from the initial statement he didn’t know anything about her.

That “consensus” exists primarily because Trump mentioned the therapy.

1 Like

You said not to use common abbreviations and ranted about “screw you” and gibberish. And you just repeatedly used an uncommon one (“HCQS”)… That you made up yourself and isn’t even the actual abbreviation (HCQ).

But then again, it’s more fun to just assume maybe HCQS is a new miracle combination drug. HydroxyChloroQuine diSinfectant? Or HydroxyChloroQuine Sunlight? So I choose the fun option.

It really didn’t matter so I didn’t ask or investigate before.

Edit: corrections made

I apologize for possibly having created confusion. HCQS and HCQ, for our purposes here, are the same thing. The “S” merely stands for “sulfate”, which is what the compound actually is. It is a sulfate.

However, perhaps I should have used the more commonplace abbreviation, HCQ, which is less technical but is more readily understood.

Linky

No. It exists because others mentioned the possible therapy. And then Trump enthusiastically pushed it (which was not so much a problem initially). Then the consensus was formed and remains because the CDC, FDA, and the rest of the health community continues to evaluate all available data and the available data does not currently support the efficacy.
And Trump chooses to ignore his own health officials and the CDC and FDA and instead elevates “doctors” as “respected” who sat there’s dna from aliens in vaccines and demon sperm causing babies to abandon religion.

What you view as a consensus and what I view as a consensus are not the same.

1 Like

The flaw is that they all conclude that once sick enough to be hospitalized, HCQ will not help make you better. Which no one disputes. You simply cannot study already-hospitalized patients to determine a drug will not help prevent hospitalization.

4 Likes

Which is why there have been large studies looking at prophylaxis such as:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638

There are more than 30 randomized trials listed here as well, most ongoing Systematic review of registered trials of Hydroxychloroquine prophylaxis for COVID-19 health-care workers at the first third of 2020 - ScienceDirect

If the data indicates so, the consensus will change

Well, you can if you are doing the study solely to cast shade on Trump and make him look bad. :wink:

That specific study didn’t have enough power to tell if the earlier use of HCQ was statistically significant, and most of their cohort was given the drug on day 3-4 after showing up for treatment rather than day 1-2. There was a clear trend towards better outcomes the sooner HCQ was given. Check out the picture below from page 17 in their supplemental materials.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/suppl/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638/suppl_file/nejmoa2016638_appendix.pdf

I would hazard a guess if they upped the size of the day 1 group, they would see a statistical benefit. The average was a benefit for days 1-3, with the mean benefit improving the sooner it was given, but the error bars were too wide to be sure.

1 Like

Yeah. I was gonna post on that. What a stunner! Cain was a great guy and a wonderful, prototypical Conservative. I used to listen to him on the radio. Very smart individual; mathematician with a computer science masters degree from Purdue. Huge loss.

I’m older than Cain so why am I still here and he is gone?

The good die young.

But he went fast. He was one of the ones where you know early the virus is gonna win quickly. Scary stuff.

This is the internet.

1 Like

Thanks. I was wondering what this is. :rofl:

1 Like

The fact that you’ve done a A+ job self quarantining and isolating yourself the past 4 months is why you’re not dying from Covid.

2 Likes

No. THIS is the internet.

<Insert witty remark about shinobi’s attributes causing others to isolate himself>

I’ve made that same remark for years. I’m 1 year older than my only sister. My sister has been dead for over 10 years. She was much more kind, sweet, nice, decent, than I.

So true, so Why do the good Die Young. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It is God’s will. He gathers to His side the good ones early on. He leaves the rest of us out here with the hope that maybe we, in the fullness of time, will become better people.

1 Like

In over 2 decades of participating in online discussions, this is the first time I can recall anyone saying anything like this. It is generally accepted to CHANGE THE ORIGINAL QUOTE IN PLACE and add something along the lines of FTFY next to the changed quote, attributed or not. People have been doing that here for almost 3 years now, on FW before that, on SD, reddit, you name it.

I do sometimes use FTFY and assume that everyone knows the meaning, but other times I spell it out because by itself it may be considered too short by the forum software, and because I think the spelled out sentence just reads funnier.

I disagree with your outrage. There are a bunch of abbreviations used frequently in forums, and this one is very common.

2 Likes

You have never done that to me. What you customarily write is:

“There I fixed that for you”

Hence everyone knows you altered my post and it is all good.

1 Like