Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

Sorry to learn you are not feeling well and, most of all, I hope you are back at full strength pronto.

For whatever it might be worth, I STRONGLY support your thinking about discontinuation of the pseudoephedrine. This for the reason you state, but also for any number of other reasons.

Get well soon!!

Ok, now forget about prior discussion and arguments for a second. Honest, serious question - if he did get tested to confirm, what would really change? He’s still going to be as sick as he’s going to feel anyways, he’d still need to worry about being infected going forward, those around him will still need to take precautions with him and everyone else they connect with. So aside from the false sense of relief obtained from a negative test, what is the practical application of a test result?

Positive test would mean those that were around him would self-quarantine, possibly preventing the spread to dozens of others.

9 Likes

A lot, IMO. Everyone that person came in contact with need to self-quarantine for 14 days. Not only that, in theory the info can be used to trace back. I k now we don’t have enough test or resource to do much of these now. Korea, Taiwan, and a lot of countries are doing this successfully and keep most of the business and school open.

ETA: this is a work site that people has to show up to provide for essential services.

Here’s a story that dive into some of the back story behind the lack of test.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/opinions/where-are-the-tests-breining/index.html

2 Likes

Pretty far off topic, but there aren’t a number of other reasons I’m aware of. I have no high blood pressure problems. There is really no comparable decongestant that I know of.
Last year I was on it longer than before though (usually ~10days at the most) but last summer was insane I was on pseudo for over a month. I was barely functional part of that time even with the pseduo, I’d have been non-functional the whole time without.

I haven’t seen notes not to use pseudo with corona either (and some suggestions to specifically use it ). Ibuprofen has been warned against.

Drudge at this hour featuring (among many others) a WSJ article about coronavirus spreading in nursing homes. I would post link but cannot get you through the WSJ paywall. Drudge has a deal with them which gets you the article for free, so use his special link if you’re interested.

Speaking as one who could easily be in one of those homes, owing both to age and to a medical situation, can tell you I’m so happy to be at home, instead, I could spit.

Only a fool would want to be in a nursing home today, or in a jail. I don’t care how many times they sanitize this or that, it’s just a matter of time before the virus finds you.

You hear that Harvey Weinstein? Your actual punishment awaits you. And it’s a death sentence!!

RE: Test

I keep coming back to the lack of test as a huge failure. Let me give you my personal situation. A lot of people aren’t showing much of a symptom. Take me for example, I haven’t felt 100% for a while and I also have to take of my mom. She is in her 80s. Whether or not I got it make a world of difference in how I would handle things.

7 Likes

There’s other reasons it’s nice not to, but I don’t really buy that. IMO, seems like Washington got an early warning because the cluster of unexplained deaths and serious illness stuck out so they were tested. If they were all in their homes (as they are elsewhere), the same number could have gotten covid19 and died – they’d just all have been marked down as “natural causes” and/or “pneumonia/flu” because there’s zero chance they’d have been tested.

This is how you’re supposed to handle the flu. It seems that most people are too ill-informed, lazy, or selfish to do it. It’s amazing that a minuscule chance of death … oh wait, it’s probably the wall to wall media coverage can get people to do the right thing.

One of the few silver linings of the covid-19 disaster is that, hopefully , people will remember how to handle themselves when sick.

2 Likes

My daughter had a fever, coughing, and sore throat. Turned out to be the flu. :relieved:

Me ex-mother-in-law is in a nursing home where a patient got it.

Today? :pensive:

Which state, if you don’t mind me asking? Anyone else in that nursing home got it?

SC, and AFAIK, she was moved to a hospital immediately after diagnosis.

ETA - FWIW, I heard this second hand, but reliable.

If Kevin Bacon gets the virus, then everyone gets the virus.

4 Likes

I have never heard of asymptomatic people who are near people who had gotten the flu are to self-quarantine themselves for two weeks. Generally, it’s only if your flu is bad you go to the doctor to possibly (usually not) be tested. And then you return to work as symptoms lessen, not a week or more after full recovery of symptoms. Those who came into repeated contact with you before your symptoms got bad enough to go to the doctor are not quarantined for the flu.

Covid19 is not just a minuscule chance of death. It’s ~20% for over 80 and ~10% for 75-80. And for younger people who don’t “die” they can still have permanent lung damage. Additionally, completely overwhelming the healthcare infrastructure means we also lose the normal functions we expect from the healthcare industry. This has a significant cost on “everyone” even if they don’t personally get Covid19.

3 Likes

You’re absolutely right about that. I mis-read your original message.

AFAIK, the mortality rate was projected to be somewhere between 1 - 2 percent. If cancer had the same mortality rate, would there be a trillion spent on research, anti-smoking, etc.? After diagnosis, would people promptly review/update their wills? How many people would undergo the disaster that is chemotherapy or radiation? Would there be such a sense of urgency for surgeries and other treatment?

What about for red-headed step-children … or left-handed paper-hangers? :smile:

I’ve had an itchy throat and mild and infrequent dry cough for > 2 weeks without any other symptoms. I’ve never had a cough this long without a runny nose. It’s probably something else (worst case I think is bacterial pneumonia, as opposed to viral pneumonia), but I’m afraid to go see a doctor.

Here’s a good, practical reason for testing. In California, if you’re off work (for an extended period beyond your state-mandated paid sick leave) because you’re sick with COVID (and have proof), you can apply for Disability Insurance. If you can’t work because you have to care for a family member with COVID, you can apply for Paid Family Leave. Both DI and PFL pay something like 60% of income, up to $1200/week. But if you’re off work because you’re temporarily or permanently laid off, you can apply for Unemployment Insurance, which pays a maximum of $450/wk.

4 Likes

I completely support and agree with your thinking there.

For stock market mugglers out there:

It has been noticed that regions of the world where malaria is prevalent show a lower incidence of COVID-19. Chloroquine, an old anti-malarial drug, is being looked at as a possible help against the current, ongoing pandemic.

Chloroquine exists both in tablet and injectable form, the latter acting more quickly. Doctors know this drug . . . have for countless years. Side effects, at the proper dosage, are minimal.

Chloroquine might help us

They are working intensively on this path of attack on the virus. If it pans out, and some including Elon Musk are saying it already has, the stock market might be at or close to a bottom.

There is at least one other drug being looked at. But it is newer and would probably be more risky than chloroquine.

When I was younger, I drank a fair amount of gin and tonic, so I should be covered. Please don’t say that I have to start adding tonic to my gin now. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Tesla has closed down their production because of the pandemic.