Getting around News Paywalls - All Sites - (WSJ, Forbes)

It depends on how they block you from reading the page. Sometimes a reader view works.

3 Likes

In some instances, certainly not all, I’m able to access paywalled material simply by turning off javascript.

With Bloomberg I’m able to view paywalled pages, one at a time only, by clearing my Bloomberg cookies prior to each attempt. They allow everyone one shot at them. And with their cookies cleared, when you come in they think you are a Bloomberg first timer. :wink:

5 Likes

Yep, but since it strips out all the script it often works for all articles like the papers I mentioned. Even if the full article is not visible, Tranq works fine for those. It depends on how the sites code the pages.

1 Like

try https://phoenix.overdrive.com/ for library access to Economist etc.

2 Likes

Sign in is required, and I did not go through the exercise of “signing up”, but presume it is restricted to Phoenix residents.

March Madness!

Are there any sports fans here? You can watch the final four games right now for free if you go here

and fiddle around a bit. The secret is to turn off javascript at the right moment and move your cursor off the part of your screen depicting the game. That will light up the screen for you.

Who needs TBS when you can watch for free!!

I suspect this will work Monday night as well for the national championship game.

And for the record, I do not receive TBS because have neither cable nor satellite. So I do not pay. But free is cheap. :grinning:

Enjoy!

1 Like

Google should give you a slew of sources that do not require any “fiddling”.

Many library systems have overdrive. Mine does and I have read economist through it. FYI.

I would still prefer the paper copy but it’s too expensive.

1 Like

Sorry, are you responding to the used car/manny-tranny discussion or specifically to paywall avoidance? If the latter, I’m unfamiliar with overdrive. If the former, one of my cars has 6th, and my truck has 5th.

@Honkinggoose My reply was in reference to this.

1 Like

Thank you, kind sir. I will now see if my redneck suburb still has a library. :laughing:

1 Like

Bypass Paywalls Clean v2.6.3.0 - this plugin works on Firefox for many sites.

Chrome (Desktop and Android): magnolia1234 / Bypass Paywalls Chrome Clean · GitLab

Firefox (also Android/ FF Nightly): Bypass Paywalls Clean – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

5 Likes

I was curious about how it works. Description says:

Pretending to be a web-scanning bot or overwriting the referrer is clever. Can’t believe I didn’t think of that :slight_smile: . I have other extensions to change user-agent and block the referrer, they’d have to be changed to fit this equation. Or I’ll just keep using archive.*

2 Likes
1 Like