Is Costco membership worth it?

I’ve never heard that phrase before, but I absolutely agree with it!

“Que” is a personal pet peeve because we use “cue” and “queue” often at work, which is confusing enough when talking about them and extremely frustrating when people write “que” and it’s ambiguous which word they mean. And, as qcumber98 notes, it’s not even an English word.

I don’t think the hostility is about unionization.

I’m in OR and we’ve been hostile to Walmart expansion too. But what I recall the hostility being about how Walmart was the evil giant company that ran all the mom & pop stores out of business, pushed suppliers to cut rate Chinese factories at the expense of US jobs, locked their own employees in the store, etc It certainly wasn’t just “they aren’t union”. Target is spread all over the West and they’re not union and they didn’t/don’t get the same hostile reception as Walmart.

Amazon ran out companies much bigger than mom and pop and they’re not union either… yet. How’s that going in Oregon? :smile:

With Walmart the opposition was visible. They would have plans to build a store and then there would be vocal local opposition. Then the store wasn’t built. I think that happened a couple times in the Portland suburbs here. They now have a couple stores and we all moved on.

Funny thing is that we have one of the worlds largest Costco sites and a Fred Meyer larger than any Walmart ever planned here and nobody balked at those. Costco is deemed acceptable and Freddy’s started here local. … and a big Target and a muliple Home Depot and every other big box that exists. Any ‘mom and pop’ still clinging to life wasn’t going to be killed just by one additional Walmart

Amazon’s presense was online before /while they became ubiquitous and didn’t lend any way for local opposition to a local B&M presence like with Walmart. No real way to protest to “keep them out” when its just delivered to your neighbors mailbox or porch. And before Amzon got realllly big I don’t recall any hate towards them. Also in Oregon they never undercut local business by being tax free since we have no sales tax, so its a different situaton than most places as far as that aspect.
Now that Amazon is everywhere we’ve got their warehouses too. I didn’t hear any opposition but that battle was already lost after every other porch gets a daily or weekly amazon box on it. I’d imagine people in Portland hate Amazon but you can say that about most things corporate.

How often can one do the Groupon Costco deal?

Your previous membership had to end sometime this spring. Check the link in my post above for the exact date.

To join Costco, you can go through Top Cashback to Groupon and receive an additional 5-10% off.

My membership expired July 31 but I’ve been able to get gas for the last two months with a warning to renew my card.

Two months is the limit. It wouldn’t let me pump gas today so I renewed my card.

2 Likes

I thought it meant cheese. And “so” means dip, right?

4 Likes

I suspect they don’t get the hostile reception because there is a Walmart.

1 Like

NO Not here. We had Target a decade before Walmart.

Thats my point, walmart got a really hostile reception even though we already had every variety of big box store that exists. Ikea was after the fact but they were cheered when they arrived.
Now I’m talking about Urban Portland and the reception to Walmart in the rural areas of the Northwest was different (I’d presume)

1 Like

They can always go up to Vancouver WA and use their OR ID to not pay taxes. There are 4 of them up there across the bridge. Portland as big as it is has always been a bit different with things. Think organics and free range meats…

No need to cross the river, we can just go here. Theres like half a dozen Walmarts in Portland metro now (not counting Vancouver).
I’ve been referring to the initial ‘push back’ against WMT when they first expanded into our area but that was many years back and we’ve had Walmarts in town now for many years.

Portland is known for the highest concentration of gent’s club.

yesssssss!

1 Like

Many food courts are inside the warehouse anyway.

1 Like

Costco is the greatest and treats it’s employees the best :roll_eyes:

Our food court is outside and is boarded up due to the pandemic.

1 Like

Costco is not going to allow returns of Covid-19 related items (toilet paper, hand sanitizer, etc.)

4 Likes

Stores in general should suspend accepting all returns. Seems like a lot of unnecessary exposure risk.

2 Likes