Let's Compare: 5% Credit Card Rotating Quarterly Rewards

minus the fees

1 Like

Oh yeah. In my enthusiasm, I forgot that one of us would be the recipient and would have to pay the fees. So it is just a net of $31.20.

But it still works out for a lot of purchases that you can route through Paypal instead of paying directly with your credit card. In fact, the fees make this method probably the better way, just use P2P transfer to top off the for the quarter I guess.

2 Likes

This is icing on the cake for the occasions that PayPal (PayPal Digital Gifts) offers those 15% off of $100 iTunes Gift Cards via eBay. So if you pay with PayPal using your linked Discover, you get the 5% on top of the already discounted iTunes GC.

If you’re really not sure what to do… do Kiva loans (and hopefully benefit the world via micro loans - debatable as per recent blog posts), and hopefully recoup >95% of your principal.
Or pay your taxes via Payusatax.com via Paypal (1.96% fee). Maybe lower your withholding during this time period so you don’t have to wait till next spring to get your refund.

1 Like

Bump! Chase Q3 bonus announced: gas and streaming services (Apple Music, Hulu, Netflix, Pandora, SiriusXM, Sling, Spotify, and Vudu). Registration opens on Saturday.

If you’re not sure how to use your gas bonus… 7-eleven sells $500 visa/mastercard gift cards. 7-eleven stores code as gas, regardless of whether they have a pump or not. The system lets you can buy 1 per transaction. Whether you’re allowed to use credit card, or whether they will allow 2 back to back transactions… YMMV depending on clerk/store.

1 Like

Does that work with Discover as well, which has 5% gas this quarter?

Yes, Discover codes 7-eleven stores, including those without pumps, as gas. And then you get 5% cashback (if you are registered for the promo and within the $1500 of spend/quarter cap)

I concur. Chase Freedom & Disc It code 7/11 as gas…even if no pumps. We are a lucky bunch. Been doing this category for years at 7/11.

Sign up available now for 5% Discover cash back at Amazon.com, Target, and Walmart.com in Q4

2 Likes

Q4 Chase bonuses updated (Paypal, Chase Pay, Dept Stores)

3 Likes

Thanks. It looks like I can put my Freedom card in the sock drawer for Q4. :frowning:

PayPal can be easily used for federal tax payment.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, but paypal will never get access to anything of mine, including a credit card number, but it’s a great idea if you are okay with paypal.

1 Like

Paypal has the Paypal Giving Fund by which you make Charitable contributions, and Paypal absorbs the credit card fees. You designate the charity. When Chase makes this a category (and Discover was last year) you can route donations through them and earn say $75 on a $1500 donation.

If you have cards that do not have dollar limits you may wish to make larger donations this ways. The BOA travel can yield 2.625% back. I found this useful when Freedom was giving 5% on all purchases, but I had to argue with them since they presumed I was Paypaling the money back to myself.

My favorite charity, the Foundation for Metabolic Cancer therapy has the donate button on their web site set up to use the Paypal Giving Foundation.

3 Likes

For those with Platinum Honors status with BOA (requires $100000 in assets with them, including those with Merril), the 3% in a chosen category becomes 5.25% (1.75 multiplier), which is higher than 5%. The most valuable for me is online purchases. Theirs has the benefit that the category need not change every three months. If the family has several such cards (wife and I each have a Cash rewards card and a Komen Breast Cancer one, with the same terms). These can cover several of the categories.

The quarterly potential is then $131.25 which is higher than the cards with 5% categories that change every quarter.

In some cases one may keep the category into a quarter, and then switch part way through if it is desired to use the full $2500 in spending. For instance, I may keep one card for gasoline, and if I do not spend $2500 on gasoline that quarter, change to Online Purchases near the end of the quarter and perhaps buy Amazon gift cards to use in the next quarter (our spending on Amazon and such is very high).

2 Likes

Discover 2020 calendar is now posted.

5 Likes

Groceries, Wholesale clubs/Gas, Paypal, Walmart/Target/Gas pretty decent categories… now hopefullly they aren’t overlapped with Chase.

1 Like

Chase Freedom Q1:
Gas, streaming, internet, cable, phone. Wiki updated.

5 Likes

Terrible q1. Oh well. (Chase ink already covers all of those except gas. And I only use less than 16 gallons of gas in 3 months)