Tesla Model 3: Pre-order to Ownership Discussion

But it doesn’t. I know someone who drives a Volt back and forth to work daily, and around town, and has yet to use a drop of gas. I mentioned that if they’re not heading out on a longer trip anytime soon, they ought to add some Stabil to the gas tank.

Not to mention a hybrid literary refers to the ability of the wheels to be driven by either gas or electric.

Yet another example of the major problem with Wikipedia.

Nasty news from Elon:

Musk: Somebody seeking to destroy Tesla from the inside

1 Like

That is an important distinction, but @TeslaModel3 is right in that, to the general public, the distinction that the drive wheels aren’t ever powered by the ICE engine doesn’t matter. It’s more that we got used to “hybrids” as having ICEs that power the wheels and electric motors to supplement because those were the first hybrids. Now it’s the opposite, but we haven’t replaced the term “hybrid.”

Tes, no one is arguing that Tesla makes better looking cars. But looks aren’t the only reason people choose cars. Chevy isn’t looking for Tesla owners to buy Volts. Chevy is selling to people who want an electric car, but don’t want to worry about range or don’t have a second ICE car for long trips.

Why would we replace the term hybrid ? A hybrid vehicle is still a hybrid vehicle. Just as an electric vehicle is still an electric vehicle. Just because some electric vehicles have ICE range-extenders, it does not make them a hybrid, and it doesn’t not make them an electric.

The dumbing-down of the populous by the likes of Wikipedia and others spewing inaccuracies is no rationale for mislabeling.

I suppose that’s fine, but what do you call them? What does the automotive press call them? What do the manufacturers call them? So far, I haven’t heard anything besides “hybrid” or “plug-in hybrid” that has caught on.

Eh, exactly what they are ? Electric vehicles. They just happen to have an on-board range-extending powerplant, which doesn’t need to be an ICE, it could be a fuel cell with no moving parts.

The BMW i3 REx is an electric vehicle with an optionally available on-board range-extending ICE.

The Cadillac ELR is an electric vehicle with an on-board range-extending ICE.

Not sure what is so complicated ?

“Electric vehicle with an on-board range-extending ICE” doesn’t quite roll off the tongue as easily as “plug-in hybrid” so I don’t think your preferred term is going to catch on. But I am in agreement with you on that name being a better descriptor.

2 Likes

It’s not my “preferred term”, it simply is what it is. You’re still over-complicating it.

They are electric vehicles. Plain and simple.

The ‘on-board range-extending powerplant’ is merely a feature, like air conditioning, power mirrors, or heated seats.

The one thing they are definitely not, is a “plug-in hybrid”.

Regardless whether a car is EV or Hybrid EV, I am still going to prefer Tesla Model 3 over Volt. Volt concept is great. But Model 3 can go 310 miles on a single charge and supercharging networks is growing. So the idea of pumping a gas into my EV car is not very appealing. I rather plug it before going to bed and wake up to a full charge. For a long distance driving, I don’t mind stopping to recharge and take a break after driving over 250 miles.

Just curious…is gas powered engine capable of recharging battery faster than Tesla Supercharger? I bet the answer is no.

Yes. While you’re waiting at the supercharger the volt is driving another hundred fifty miles and then filling up in 5 minutes and driving another 375 miles

4 Likes

Why would you say this and make yourself looks silly when 1. the answer is out there and 2. it is obvious that even if it were slower than the supercharger, you’re still moving while it is recharging rather than sitting still.

This is simply you making excuses for a major inconvenience of an electric vehicle. Stopping to take a break is one thing. Stopping for 1 hour and 15 minutes (the amount of time it takes to fully recharge a Model 3 at a supercharging station) is something completely different

4 Likes

That also assumes there are open spots at the station.

1 Like

To be fair to @TeslaModel3 I think GM has done as bad a job as possible marketing and selling the Chevy Volt. Many, many people have no idea it is a full electric car with a ~400 mile ‘range.’

The idea that people could buy the car, save $150 or more in gas a month and be in the carpool lane is nowhere to be seen in their few ads.

2 Likes

Yep. They should have marketed it as an electric car, which the vast overwhelming majority of people could drive daily and not use any gas, BUT if you wanted to take the kids to visit Granny, there’s the onboard range-extending ICE, which would allow one to go coast to coast.

1 Like

Yes. While you’re waiting at the supercharger the volt is driving another hundred fifty miles and then filling up in 5 minutes and driving another 375 miles
[/quote]
So if Volt’s battery is completely drained, ICE will immediately recharge the battery and give another 375 miles without any recharging delay?

Think of the ICE as a generator–it creates enough electricity to power the car without plugging in. Ever. Or you can plug in, drive 40-50 miles and never use the ICE.

2 Likes

Yep. They should have marketed it as an electric car, which the vast overwhelming majority of people could drive daily and not use any gas, BUT if you wanted to take the kids to visit Granny, there’s the onboard range-extending ICE, which would allow one to go coast to coast.
[/quote]
If they want to market it better, then do some cosmetic plastic surgery on Volt. It’s simply ugly. Frankenstein at it’s best! Putting a red lipstick on Meed18…opps I meant…Miss Piggy ain’t going to make it look attractive.

Right…so on a drained battery, ICE engine with a full tank of gas will immediately regenerate the drained battery and give 375 mile range without any delay?

So you are claiming that ICE engine can recharge a battery faster than Tesla Supercharger, is that correct? So on a completely drained battery, ICE engine will immediately recharge the battery and give 375 miles without any waiting period?

30 to 45 Minutes on Tesla Supercharger will be plenty to get another 250 miles on Model 3. Nice break for lunch and chat with admirers asking questions about Model 3.

You fill the gas tank up and get back on the road, the car has a range of 420 miles on a tank of gas. Think of the gas tank like a supercharger with a 200 mile extension cord.

The fact that you don’t get how this works is a testament to how badly GM has positioned this car.

4 Likes