! WELCOME NEW USERS ! Ask your questions here! (flame-free)!

I am just wondering if i need to stack 2 years of property taxes into one calendar year. But my property tax is 11k. Max tax deduction is 10k. There is no point in trying to pay 2 years of property taxes in one calendar year.
Thanks

You should have stacked it last year. And you should again in 2026, unless the SALT limit is made permanent.

Hi,
My mortgage lender pays every year property taxes in Dec. There was no 2018 property tax statement to stack it in last year. As we are paying more than 10k property tax this year, there is no need to stacking with max 10k limit right?

When I say “you should have stacked it last year” I mean you should have paid 2016 and 2017 property tax bill in 2017 calendar year (2016 bill in January 2017 and 2017 bill in December 2017).

Correct.

My wife keeps getting an offer from Citi to open another card. The odd thing is that it is a card she already has. Does anyone know if Citi allows you to have 2 of the same card? I would assume not…

It is attractive due to 21 month BT period.

Thanks for any input.

About 15 years ago I had opened two Dividend cards about a year apart. Usually people end up with more than one card by product conversion / discontinuation, that’s definitely allowed.

My threshold for new cards is a $500+ profit, which has long been in the form of a signup bonus. BTs will make sense again if/when the spread between BT fee and short term deposit rates is high enough. It’s not as easy to reallocate lines on Citi cards as it used to be, so you might not get as much BT as you think.

1 Like

I am quite sure that Citi allows multiple of the same card to the same person.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies guys!

Citi certainly will allow (and most all banks do) two of the same card. The main issue is getting signup bonuses (usually a wait period when you can qualify again - and when you have last opened or closed the same card or received the reward - depending on issuer rules) or if there is a maximum allowed number of cards with the issuer (amex/barclay). I don’t think BT signup bonuses have ever had these restrictions.

1 Like

I got a weird email from Credit Karma “According to your TransUnion credit report, someone added you as an authorized user for their BK OF AMER credit card.”
There is a link to see the details of this new account “Confirm the Details” in the email.
But when I click on the link it takes me to my TU credit report and I don’t see any new accounts.
Can someone tell me what may be going on here and further course of action?
Thanks

Don’t know but you probably shouldn’t click on any links in a “weird email”. Instead, open your browser and go directly to Credit Karma’s website.

5 Likes

I actually received the same email a couple days ago. Went to creditkarma website and didn’t see any new accounts or unexpected activity. Just deleted the email. Usually I would expect a notification within CK if a new account was added but there were none. Not entirely sure if being added as an authorized user would be indicated in the “new account” section. I just dismissed it. Seeing as you have also received the unexpected notification as well, this seems a little more ‘phishy’.

3 Likes

Citi does indeed allow the same person to have the same card. Posting in case someone has the same question down the line.

This isn’t exactly a finance question but it is most problematic for me on finance sites (banks, personal capital, etc).

Does anyone know if there is a way to stop Firefox updates causing sites to think you’re on a new computer? It is really annoying when FF releases frequent updates.

Thanks for any advice!

It’s so rare for me to see the “new computer” issue that I never narrowed down the cause to browser updates . Usually it is caused by deletion or expiration of cookies. I now use the Cookiebro extension for cookie management (used CookieCuller before v57). I also think getting a new IP address from your ISP could trigger this, and there’s nothing you can do in that case.

One obvious solution is to disable automatic updates and just do periodic updates manually. The risk of catching something from a known vulnerability is fairly low if you don’t visit risky websites or have other protections in place. Another is to use the ESR version, that way you get all the patches without a major update (assuming that patches do not trigger the “new computer” issue). You can also install two instances of Firefox (and create separate user profiles for each) and disable updates in one just for use with the problematic sites. Assuming you’re on Windows, I think the easiest ways to install two instances is to install one 64-bit and one 32-bit, or one regular and one from portableapps (Readme) or a FF spinoff like Pale Moon.

1 Like

Thanks @scripta! I hadn’t considered it a possible issue with cookies. Is the idea that the cookie for say Alliant CU is expiring every 30 days or some interval, and that just happens to coincide with a FF update? Leading me to a faulty conclusion of FF updates being the problem… I don’t normally mess with my cookies but I will check out Cookie Bro.

My IP has remained the same for several years so I don’t think that is the issue but that is a good idea for others to check.

If you don’t delete your cookies, you don’t need Cookiebro. I like to automatically delete cookies on exit, but there’s no built-in white list, so Cookiebro allows me to select which cookies to keep and deletes all others. It also has a cookie editor which will let you change the expiration dates, but I’ve never tried it. All the Alliant cookies I have saved expire more than 8 months from now. However, I too recently saw the “new computer” message from Alliant, but it’s definitely not a monthly thihg. It’s possible that they’re keeping track of the browser version or they changed their website / renamed the cookies / invalidated all existing cookies.

1 Like

It’s tax time… I have been using TaxAct for years but I am disenchanted with their pricing. It went up significantly last year (I believe) for state and fed. It looks like the pricing is about the same this year. I saw someone recommend FreeTaxUSA on another board. It is much cheaper and seems to be a good product. Anyone used it or have any feedback?

How complex are your returns? If just W-2 income, maybe some taxable interest and dividends, no credits, I doubt you’d see much difference among the different programs.

1 Like

Not too complex but I have some of the FWF / FD gimmicks going on :slight_smile:
I hate to keep forking over so much to TaxAct…