Which credit cards will cancel your bill if it is small?

Agree with Full_Disclosure. It’s one thing to cancel a $50 bad debt after 180+ days with a customer that isn’t doing business with you anymore. It’s a different thing to close an account immediately when a payment comes in $50 short. The latter doesn’t sound that common to me. I’ve never been an AR manager, but I’ve audited entities with AR and it’s more common to see bills going out for amounts close to the cost of postage than it is to see $20+ debts cancelled before they are even late.

1 Like

Agreed… but that’s not going to stop me from sending the payoff amount minus $49 before my final payment is due (on the off chance I ever get to that point) just in case.

2 Likes

US Bank just stopped canceling mine. Anyone else?

1 Like

There is a data point that in the month where you have “Annual Membership Fee” (even 0.00) there will not be a “Credit Adjustment” to cancel the small balance.

1 Like

D1sc0ver still cancels up to $2 ?

yes.

2 Likes

Thanks telflonmail, my $0 annual fee did post during that same cycle. I guess I’m the second data point for that

1 Like

Before that what were you charging on the US Bank card 1.00?

I’ve been doing 0.99. I just noticed 1.00 listed once in the OP for a USbank card. Anyone tried 1.00 with US Bank?

US Bank just cancelled $0.99. I don’t even remember if I had tried it before. I thought it no longer worked.

US bank cancelled at 1.00 for club carlson personal and business

Interesting development today. My Discover card statement cycled with a $1.99 balance, and instead of zeroing it out, they added another $1.99 to my balance due.

But I think I understand the quirk (it’s not like I’m going to call and ask…). I have a purchase from my previous (July 4th) statement that I just disputed. I’m assuming the dispute effectively re-opened the prior statement with that purchase on it, and now with the active dispute that statement isn’t eligible for the small balance credit I had received.

So at least for Discover, it seems an open dispute pre-empts any small balance credit, even retroactively. Maybe that’s old news, but I don’t recall that ever being mentioned (either here or a FWF).

US Bank cancelled $1.00 last month, but not this month.

1 Like

chase does not cancel $1 balance

Who said that it does?

just a data point

I charged $1 to my Fidelity Investments Visa last month just to keep it active. Didn’t expect to get $1 credit adjustment.

2 Likes

Is that the one through Elan?

Yes. Are there different providers?

1 Like

I don’t know, but presume there may have been at some point. I don’t find Elan, despite the $1 write-off, to be that high on the customer service scale. They are certainly not up to the standards that I have encountered at Fidelity.