Woman Wins $10,000 by Reading the Fine Print

Woman wins $10,000 by reading the fine print in her insurance contract:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2019/03/07/how-this-woman-won-by-reading-fine-print-her-insurance-contract/?utm_term=.d592e423d7d8

2 Likes

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

Why do I get the feeling it wont be long until the social justice warriors start complaining and threatening lawsuits over how unfair and discriminatory it was for this reward to be buried in the fine print…

1 Like

If they wanted people to read the entire contract,they wouldn’t have any fine print.

“Fine print” is slang for “the entire contract”. Look at the article, there’s a picture of the lady holding the “fine print”. This isnt some 1/2-point typeface hidden in the bottom corner on the back of a flier. She merely read her policy.

1 Like

Sounds like a $10,000 marketing campaign gone well. A quarter page ad in their local newspaper or a billboard wouldn’t get nearly as much visibility as a viral story like this will.

6 Likes

This has been done before… in software EULAs in 2005 and 2015… at least.

3 Likes

It took one day… Not saying that these other people would have read their contracts, but the fact that they sent out however many contracts over the past day isn’t really indicative of how many people don’t read the contracts. In fact, since it only took one day, it seems to suggest that people do read the contracts…

Also, credit card companies provide this insurance as part of the card benefits.

2 Likes

I’m not super impressed with the lady. She read the contract AFTER she bought the EXPENSIVE insurance. I bought a warranty on my car last year and I made sure I read that thing BEFORE I bought it.

2 Likes

Because you’re imagining strawmen.

3 Likes

or written. :smile: What about all of the immigrants who can’t read English … or the college educated citizens who are too lazy.

Good point. In general it’s best to read before you sign. And she was still ahead of the 72 others who, not only did not read their contracts before signing up, but not after either so I’ll give her some credit for that still.

Also on some of the travel insurance companies I’ve shopped, they make it very hard to get to the full fine print unless you actually sign the contract. They often just give you an extensive summary of the coverage, what’s not covered, etc… but not all always all the gory details about how to file claims, your recourse if claims are (partially) denied and all that good stuff in the fine print.

And also to be fair to this lady, these type of travel insurances almost always have a review period, in my experience 7-10 days depending on the insurer. So as long as you make sure you have a rescission period, you can sign up and then dig into the contract details during the review period.

3 Likes