Alliant Credit Union

I myself OWED taxes for 2019, like a good fragiledealer, so I guess my refund is coming by debit card like EIP2.

Like a better fragiledealer, I netted more cashback from overpaying than the cash would’ve earned sitting in a savings account those couple extra months. :wink:

3 Likes

EIP3 showed up in my Alliant checking yesterday. Pending for 3/17.

1 Like

Lucky. I have a pending credit from my federal tax refund for 3/17. Maybe the treasury isn’t capable of doing two deposits on the same day. lol.

Yeah, I did that in 2018, so EIP1 was DD’d. Not sure why I didn’t do the same in 2019. And in 2020 I… dammit I just forgot :blush:

Ooh, turns out it’s not too late, since I haven’t filed yet.

I have been overpaying my taxes for years by using my credit card. I always enjoy my tax refund earlier than most because as soon as those 1099’s arrive I’m ready to take everything to my CPA. Plus I also gain CASH from my Citi double cash CC. This is good business. IMO

How are you paying with a credit card that 2% cashback is worthwhile? Aren’t processing fees pretty close to 2%?

1 Like

Probably closer to 1.5- 1.87%
Sure I pay close to 2%, but it seems worth the effort to me. I like the payout when taxes are completed. A big paycheck when tax season is over for the year.

The three OFFICIAL processors that accept federal income tax payments charge 1.96% and 1.99% for credit cards, and they’re the cheapest as far as I know.

California’s official income tax processor charges 2.3% for credit cards. CA has other agencies for different taxes, so some of those are lower, but still > 1.9% IIRC.

So what are you talking about 1.5-1.87%?

3 Likes

Well, yer right!

Caught me by surprise, though, and possibly pattyb53 as well. There used to be a service provider at 1.87% I think it was. No longer.

Inflation

Helpful to have my Alliant Visa Signature card which still pays rewards of 2.5%. :wink:

Three cheers for Alliant!

I appreciate your interest!!!

Please… Works for me!! :relaxed:

1.9% vs 2%, As I said I like the payoff, no worries~~~ :wink:

There is no payoff.

I’ll gladly let you give me hundreds (thousands?) of dollars for me to hold until I give it back to you months later.

5 Likes

Tax refund is nice… :running_woman:

In today’s interest climate, it doesn’t make much difference, but I’ve been trained to owe Uncle Sam money, and to pay him at the last possible moment, prior to penalties and interest.

1 Like
  1. The only way to buy an extra $5K in I-Bonds :slight_smile:.
3 Likes

But there’s also the possibility of your return getting hung up on a technicality (one time my refund was delayed because my forms used numbers rounded to the even dollar, which then didnt match my payment amount that was to the penny.), and being delayed to the point of getting paid interest.

No doubt there are circumstances where it is still adventageous (I recently made a payment using my 2.5% Alliant card, because why not). But Patty was specifically referrring to using her 2% Double Cash card.

Yes I 've heard that story also.
I don’t like to owe anything, if I can manage. Only my way! :relaxed:

1 Like

According to posts at DOC, as part of their purge Alliant is closing down existing, high yielding, Alliant certificates of deposit and just sending back the money to members who have been kicked out. Obviously it is impossible today for those members to find a new home, for those CD funds, which pays a high rate of interest anywhere near to what Alliant was paying them.

Nice, convenient, way for Alliant to get out of having to honor old CD contracts. Just kick out the member!

Also, as already posted above by others, latest posts at DOC are confirming Alliant expulsions go well beyond just too much money order deposit activity. There is conversation about racial profiling, for example, and “whatever we feel like” kinds of stuff. Also everyone, both new members and very old members, too, can be targeted. It make no difference how long you have been a member in good standing. You are vulnerable. And the guillotine falls without warning or recourse.

So they require a picture? Or do they profile based on language … or pronunciation?

You’re about to be racially profiled. :rofl: