Alliant Credit Union

Understood

Thank you. However, that is scary to learn. You went straight (from their standpoint) yet they kicked you out nevertheless. Sucks

Alliant Credit Union:

No forgiveness

No redemption

Within the past year 1) closed Alliant 2.5 CC 2) down to just savings at a pitiful rate. Use it open because the deposits from Alliant code as DD at my 3 Gobank accts to avoid the 8.95 fee Go Bank charges w/o DD. Only thing that is good there. I use Gobank to deposit those 200 VGC I get at Staples for no fee during the deals. Run about 3k in Alliant savings and shifted everything else to HM Bradley. Plus a deposit from Alliant to TD for a bonus did not work. had to use another bank that coded correctly.

I got the ax today! No warning, No nothing. :nauseated_face:

I tried to log into my account & a red error showed. I called an was told “you closed your account”, I said no way. I have told folks here that I had 3 Alliant accts, mainly so that if needed I could ACH transfer more than the $25k.

I have a Trust acct, a personal acct for spouse & one for myself. So they closed the 2 personals & the Trust is still open.

Angry is not the word for my feelings right now. After talking to a rep that told me my funds had been transferred to the Trust (which no funds were showing). She connected me to a Supervisor, poor guy.
He had no explanation, except he said, I should have received a letter. (which I didn’t). He said I could write a letter. I told him about being an Alliant member for 20+ yrs. But, but he said, the Trust is different. WHY, same people involved.

He was a nice guy that had nothing to say, except he was sorry. He did finish up with “I will try to get someone to call you with a better explanation”. I don’t expect anything.

Next, I’ll go to the PO to see if their refund checks are there.

6 Likes

pattyb53

That is absolutely shocking news. Apparently nobody is safe at Alliant. They close you down without excuse, satisfactory explanation, or any explanation at all!

For them to have done this without warning to a 20+ year member is astonishing!

Please keep us updated.

I am dumbfounded and completely at a loss to continue this post.

1 Like

So sorry to hear this @pattyb53. Thank you for sharing this with us as this is truly a warning to not become overly reliant on Alliant as they can no longer be trusted. Did you ever deposit money orders?

4 Likes

No money orders…

1 Like

Patty, I’m absolutely shocked. Really sorry to hear this.

You’re one of the good folks on here that don’t play any of the risky games. If you’ve been kicked out, it makes me really worried about whether I might be on the list next year.

2 Likes

I’m an idiot as far as trust technicalities, but is it even legal for them to take your money and give it to the trust?

Best guess (from the limited info provided), might they have sent your goodbye letter to your street address instead of your PO Box? The same could happen with the checks for your account balances.

Is this the first you’ve logged in since April 12? Or was your account still open more recently?

Needless to say, I apologize for giving you a false sense of security.

Agreed! Sorry to hear this also, @pattyb53

I just noticed a banner for my “alliant anniversary” recently. Only 6 years but it seems no one is safe. This is crazy.

2 Likes

When I talked to a Supervisor today he said the letter had been sent (he hesitated) to my physical address. When discussing that I only get mail at PO., he looked further & could see my mail address is PO & is listed on account. That would be their problem because all inquirer’s from Alliant have been mailed to the PO.in past.

The first Rep told me I had closed my account 4/26. Not true I only discovered the error when trying to log into my account .today When checking my PO this afternoon, still no letter or check from Alliant CU.

Yes, I actually moved funds from Trust to personal acct on 4/20 & no problem. I hadn’t checked the personal accts until today, when I discovered I couldn’t log into them.

The Rep did come back & tell me she made a mistake, she said instead they mailed the funds to me.

Confusion abounded today.

3 Likes

If so, it doesnt appear you were part of the supposed annual meeting vote-out. Keep notes of all your conversations - it’s close to the point where a lawyer might become interested, since mailing notice to an address other than the mailing address on your account doesnt constitute proper notice, and there’s a good chance your checks for your balances are going to go missing as well.

In other news, My checking and credit card were closed per the notice on April 12. But I can still log in, and my savings account appears open with it’s $9 balance still sitting there.

I’m guessing it is because that $99 annual fee is still charged on my credit card, and they cant close out my membership with a balance outstanding on the card. I’m tempted to try an ACH transfer, but I’ve moved on with anything scheduled and dont want to risk having more money get tied up there.

Try a $1 transfer :rofl:

1 Like

A trust is a separate legal entity, so I think that would be about as legal as transferring your money to the bank president’s ex-wife’s second cousin’s account. So clearly a stupid rep saying stupid stuff.

2 Likes

I don’t know why pattyb53 was ejected so abruptly at Alliant. Possibly it is because they detected her effort to exceed the $25k/day ACH withdrawal limit. But that is purely speculation on my part, and the real reason could be something entirely different.

I can tell you why I got the boot at Inova. It was a similar situation. They just threw me out abruptly and were certainly not at all unhappy to see me go:

In brief terms do not piss off the compliance officer, or any officer, of a credit union unless you’re looking to be guillotined. She gave me a direct order. I violated that order over a year later, thinking I could maybe get away with it. I was so wrong. The passage of time, contrary to my hope, had made no difference whatsoever to that officer, and the boot came swiftly.

Unlike at Alliant, though, I KNEW why I was getting the ax and I KNEW it was my sole fault. It is unconscionable that Alliant would eject members without offering an explanation!!

Would I like to blame Inova instead of myself? Sure I would. They dangled a sweet lollipop in front of me, told me it was forbidden, and I tried regardless to get a lick. Need to curb my appetite for lollipops. :slightly_frowning_face:

Gonna reiterate something here. If you’re already aware, please to not become angry:

Opened a new B of A Visa account and charged some stuff. Sent first payment last evening using Alliant bill payer. It was only a $10 payment, the intent being to get matters launched.

Alliant told me payment would go via paper check. They are still telling me that this morning! But my ten buck payment, dispatched late last evening, has already been received by B of A. That is pretty great USPS service. Right? :rofl:

Of course Alliant lied about the paper check and ACHed my payment instead. I figured that is what they would do. But until you run the test, and given Alliant is saying (even now) it’s gonna be paper, you do not know for certain whether the payment will take just hours or the better part of a week.

One time Alliant actually did use snail mail to make a payment for me. Boy did that ever take a long time, over a week, to be credited.

1 Like

I just made a second call to Alliant CU. I asked to talk to a Supervisor right away, because I wanted to get a clearer understanding of why my personal acct was closed. I explained to her the information the Rep had given me. I had closed my acct (not true), Alliant had transferred my funds to Trust. She sat me straight…Alliant had closed my acct & funds were mailed 4/26.

This Supervisor said they mailed me a letter early March with closing acct info. I did not receive that letter, she said she would send another. Case Closed!

I’m still angry about Alliant closing my personal acct. They didn’t close my Trust acct, so I guess I can be thankful for that.
I also think I was thrown into the barrel of members that use Alliant as a transfer hub. One other thing. I absolutely don’t know of any other distasteful thing I did to annoy Alliant CU.

I’m now wondering about going back to PurePoint for helpful ACH transfers. The only thing I disliked there is the policy of holding funds for several days before you can make a move.

Purepoint is certainly a possibility. But unlike at Alliant they still limit customers to a maximum of ten linked accounts. This would make my situation very, very difficult to manage. At Alliant there is no limit, or at least I’m unaware of a limit.

In my own worst case planning I’m also including Keesler, together with PurePoint., in the mix of places to go if Alliant kicks me out. Keesler is a really good credit union and, unlike Alliant, I don’t think they would jettison members for no reason at all.

I will be surprised if your letter actually specifies the reason you were ejected. Alliant seems generally to be keeping such reasons, whatever they might be, tightly held secrets. That way they create a situation where other members, after learning the reasons here on the net, cannot take remedial action and save themselves.

I think under its new president there are certain members Alliant would like to lose These are members who use credit union services liberally and who generate little or no profit for the credit union. I think I’m one of those members.