Anti-woke investing opportunities

The article does not mention TGT’s woke problems, but they clearly had an effect.

2 Likes

I don’t believe it, but even if true, Republicans also wanted to run against Sick Willie in '96.

The people polled don’t want either of them to run by 70% to 30% margins

https://twitter.com/ByronYork/status/1692120723387560125?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1692120723387560125|twgr^309f6ac23937e946548261f7fd3ac79158d73ce3|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fhotair.com%2Fed-morrissey%2F2023%2F08%2F18%2Fap-poll-biden-approvals-still-tanking-and-the-rematch-no-one-wants-n57178

1 Like

This:

Does not support your previous statement:

because Democrats appear to be set on running Biden against Trump. If Trump is somehow disqualified, maybe they’d let Biden retire and allow others to run. One could only hope.

I should have been more precise. Democrat operatives want to run against President Trump.

Edit.

because Democrats appear to be set on running Biden against Trump.

It is the operatives who have not figured out a way to get Biden out of the race without making Harris their candidate. The poll I quoted shows that the Democrat on the street does not want Biden. Are you OK with Kamala being the Democrat candidate?

Yup - when talking about what Democrats or Republicans want, it [almost] always refers to the powers that be, not the general population.

I understood that you meant the party leaders and not the entire party. Goose said he doesn’t believe it, and neither do I. Your next quote was about what “the people” want, which does not support your previous statement about what the operatives want. It appears to be a separate topic, but you quoted goose’s “I don’t believe it” in your reply, so it’s not separate. So what are you trying to say?

I thought it was pretty clear - the people dont want either of them to run, by a large margin. Yet here we are, with both of them not only running but also [at this very early point] the presumed nominee. What you are tripping over as being a contradiction pretty much was in fact the entire point.

Still not getting it. It started with this:

which has nothing to do with the fact that that the people don’t want either of them to run. It seems unrelated.

New AP poll.

I doubt it, but does AP publish their entire poll? I’d like to see the entire breadth of questions in the order asked.

Also, there are a lot (all?) polls that indicate Trump has a huge lead over every other Republican in the race. Wouldn’t that mean that more people don’t want DeSantis to run than Trump?

1 Like

No, those are two entirely different questions.

3 Likes

Yes. Trump hatred is very real and prevalent. I’ve seen statistics that 2/3 of voters will not vote for Trump under any circumstance. As an anecdote, two people that I know could not sleep for a week before the 2020 election because they were so afraid of Trump winning.

3 Likes

Those folks that couldn’t stand the idea of Trump winning the 2020 election. Wondering how happy they are with Biden??

I’m going to be watching the R debate tomorrow night. Maybe :thinking: a breakthrough surprise.

2 Likes

Yippee for Ms. Patty!!! Your hammer found the head of the nail.

Thank you for … well, … having common sense!
I’ve got a pair of Benji bi-focals for you … somewhere.

1 Like

I realize that “under any circumstance” is pretty definitive, but think that when it’s nut-cutitng time, many Republicans will have a greater fear of the second round of Inflationomics.

Altria (MO);Despite these headwinds, Altria Group remains a dividend powerhouse. It has raised its dividend 56 times in the past 52 years, effectively making it a Dividend Achiever (an unofficial status because of its spinoff history). Management has set a target payout ratio of 80% of earnings per share, knowing that its dividend is the main reason that shareholders own the stock. As of July 2022, its dividend yield was an attractive 8.6%

Philip Morris (PM)

Like Altria, Philip Morris saw a decline in its cigarette sales volume in 2021, by about 0.6%. But its sales volume of heated tobacco units (HTUs) rose 24.8% in that same year, indicating that devices such as the IQOS have strong growth potential. In the first quarter of 2022, the company’s cigarette sales volumes increased 1.9% due to a post-Covid recovery in some markets while HTU sales increased 14.2%. Philip Morris finished the first quarter of 2022 with 17.9 million IQOS users. Sales of HTUs are still much smaller than sales of traditional cigarettes, so it’s likely that the IQOS brand still has plenty of runway.

As a dividend stock, Philip Morris does not disappoint. Since its split from Altria in 2008, the company has raised its dividend every year, and its dividend had increased by 172% as of July 2022. The stock also offers a healthy dividend yield of 5.1% of the share price. If its history as part of Altria were included, it would qualify as another Dividend Aristocrat

British American Tobacco

British American Tobacco (BAT) has become a titan of the industry as well, fueled by its $49 billion acquisition of Reynolds American in 2017. Today, the company owns a range of popular cigarette brands, including Camel, Newport, Dunhill, Natural American Spirit, and Lucky Strike, as well as next-gen products such as Vuse for vaporizing and glo for heat-not-burn smoking.

Like other tobacco companies, BAT is focused on substantially transitioning to next-gen products. In 2021, the company saw a 0.1% decline in its cigarette sales volume, although its sales

1 Like

Possibly an example of get woke-go broke?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-218-billion-rout-not-100858622.html

The world’s largest entertainment company is in the throes of a major upheaval, having launched an extensive cost cutting drive after the return of Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger in November. That included 7,000 job cuts and other reductions in spending.

Disney’s stock has lost about $219 billion in market value since peaking at $367 billion in 2021. It’s priced at a below-average 17 times profits projected over the next 12 months. That’s down from a peak of 77 times in late 2020, when rock-bottom interest rates and exuberance over streaming businesses sent the stock soaring.

1 Like

Perhaps. But the stock market hype over Disney+ was never sustainable, theme park attendance is down across the board, and ESPN/ABC is at a $2B/year crossroads with their cable cash cow. Disney is a hurting company even before considering any woke stuff.

1 Like

It doesn’t make sense to compare attendance numbers, because they’ve jacked the cost of attendance to a crazy level relative to other theme parks. Revenue should be the metric.

I’ve read that Disneyworld attendance is down, but not sure about the CA parks. I went to Disneyland on a weekday in May and it was packed. It’s worse on weekends.

1 Like

I’m just saying that the market reacts to attendance, along with other things. Disney’s financials may or may not be so bad, but the hit to their market cap is understandable without considering any “woke” factors.