Any photographer or camera aficionados here?

I really liked my old Kodak digital camera’s (12MP & 14MP very intuitive, easy to use, reliable) but it’s time to get a camera(s) with higher resolution.

Ideally I’d like 20MP, but 18 is fine. I need point-and-shoot simplicity because for some reason my computer-techiness doesn’t cross-over to cameras :stuck_out_tongue:
Maximum optical zoom is my next requirement. DS19 runs cross-country for college and I (he) would like decent shots.
I’d like a compact “purse” camera for the times I forget the “good” camera.
I guess I slightly prefer Canon over Nikon. Sony is out. Panasonic might be okay?

Right now I have a Canon Rebel T6i - which seems a bit overkill, but DS wants me to have a non-wimpy looking camera, lol. I have no problem selling this if there is something cheaper that still meets my needs.

I’m also eyeing up a [Canon PowerShot SX620]
(https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/long-zoom-cameras/powershot-sx620-hs) for my purse.

1 Like

Resolution is overrated. Some of the best pictures I ever took was on a 1 MP HP digital camera.

Nikon 1, for example, isn’t that high res but is known to be very well respected semi-pro camera.

3 Likes

Can’t beat Canon for point and shoot digital. I’ve upgraded probably 4 times in the last 15 years and currently have a 330HS. And unless you print out enlargements, anything above 5MP is academic.

3 Likes

Reason I want 20MP is for enlargements.
Our high school does lifesize standouts of each graduate, two years ago when middle son graduated I thought my “good” Kodak 14MP would work, but our local Walgreen’s that does these for us showed me that the quality wasn’t there. I tried a Sony 20MP and the quality of that was similar to my Kodak 14MP (thus, no Sony for me).
I tried a Canon 16MP and it was a lot better, but the Nikon 18MP that I finally used had the correct resolution they needed.
I found the Canon slightly more intuitive over the Nikon, and if I remember correctly years ago I also found a Panasonic camera easy to use.
Youngest son graduates next year, so I want a camera that can handle the 20MP (I’ve sold all of our camera’s except for a Kodak Easyshare Mini and Canon T6i)

1 Like

J have an older model, Niko L810 that i LOVE. not sure of megapixels offhand (you can look it up), but optical zoom is GREAT (26X OPTICAL). I use it for nature pics.

Just looked, camera sticker says “921 K dots”… don’t know correlation to megapixels.

I bought this a few years back, as part of a factory REFURB sale… I THINK I paid $79 bucks for it, while retail was $399 or similar… U can try searching old emails for link or receipt… IF INTERESTED. i not, let me know and I’ll go away.

PS, I won several phot contests with this, taking pictures (Raw), no manipulation or photoshop… just sayin’…

1 Like

Ditto to the previous posters. 12MP is more than enough, unless your trying to print banners. If you’re happy with the pictures the Kodaks have produced, why not keep them? If you need more zoom, that’s a whole nother story. Just remember that the zoom trade off is speed/light and depth of field.

Good luck.

1 Like

Take photos in RAW.

Take photos in low ISO (<= 400 ISO)

Post process it afterwards.

Use a noise remover software.

If you’re looking for Canon point & shoot cameras… check out Magic Lantern

3 Likes

I suggest taking a look at DPreview and seeing what is said in the various reviews there.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2017-roundup-consumer-long-zoom-compacts

Your canon suggestion might be a good solution, but keep in mind the sensor size in your selections. the MP aren’t always the most important number, sensor size can trump MPs in making less noisy shots.

Having said that, there are certainly good sensors and bad sensors smaller than full frame or crop sensor, it just is something to be aware of. Small superzooms have their place, but you definitely need cooperating light to have usability.
My parents have an older version of the Panasonic ZS that I recommended for them that is in this article and have had good results. I probably would be considering your Canon or the Panasonic if I were set on a superzoom.

I still would consider if you’re looking for zoom with the best results your Rebel with a zoom lens on it would be the better choice, but definitely understand its a pain to have all the time.

3 Likes

If you’re concerned about enlargements, try taking zoom photos rather than wide angle and then enlarging. A good compact superzoom is probably your best bet. Your son will be happy because it “looks” like a legit camera too. Not the type you can stuff in your pocket.

Start with Sherlock’s link.

1 Like