Any way to file an IRS extension online directly with the IRS?

All I see is, “You can use any of the following Free File software companies to prepare and e-file an extension for free.” but I don’t want to set up an account with them just to file an extension. It’s easier to mail off a hard copy.
Why does the government make it so difficult? Just have a page to enter your SSN and amount you want to pay if any.

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

The closest you can get to free filing directly with the IRS is Free Fillable Forms. How are you planning to file your return? If you use the same software/system you won’t have to create an extra account.

The reasoning is probably two-fold - security and software functionality. When you e-file, your filing is transformed into an xml file and sent to the IRS in a format they accept. The IRS doesn’t have software which does this properly (on the one hand, it’s humorous, but on the other it’s annoying). A while ago the IRS determined it was more advantageous to pay companies to provide free filings to customers than it is for the IRS to establish their own system.

I file a hard copy by mail, easier then juggling 5 or 6 forms on a computer. Guess I’ll mail in the extension as well.

You can pay via CC at, and their fee is slightly under 2% so you can come out slightly ahead with a good card. Make a extension payment and they file your extension for you as well as processing the payment.


Agreed, xerty. I believe what you have posted is correct. Frankly, that is how I plan to pay tomorrow. :grinning:

However, solely as a heads up for some individuals, costs are higher for those who choose the integrated IRS e-file and e-pay option:

CC payment costs are higher if you choose the integrated IRS e-file option

I have never e-filed and I have no such plans. So if costs are not really higher perhaps another poster will correct me. To me they appear higher.

The online TurboTax extension is free.

1 Like

I’m not paying anything, just filing an extension. For payments I use the government site Welcome to EFTPS online Odd how they can set up a website for making payments, but a simple extension to file form is not possible.

The closest thing directly with the IRS online is probably paying $1 for 4868, which is applied to your tax anyway.


FreeTaxUSA also offers free online extension

1 Like

There are three ways to request an automatic extension of time to
file a U.S. individual income tax return.

  1. You can pay all or part of your estimated income tax due and
    indicate that the payment is for an extension using Direct Pay,
    the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, or using a credit
    or debit card. See How To Make a Payment, on page 3.

  2. You can file Form 4868 electronically by accessing IRS e-file
    using your home computer or by using a tax professional who
    uses e-file.

  3. You can file a paper Form 4868 and enclose payment of your
    estimate of tax due.

So you’re saying I could have paid a dollar and filed the extension electronically on EFTPS? Will have to remember that for next time.

1 Like

IRS says it will give US taxpayers an additional day to file returns after “system issues” Tuesday; new deadline to file is now Wednesday: “Taxpayers do not need to do anything to receive this extra time”

1 Like

One happy side effect of this is that you can still contribute to 2017 IRA’s today. Your custodian might need to do something manually. Schwab was able to manually backdate for me.

So pay1040 isn’t letting me use any additional cards to pay under the 4868 extension option. Any recommendations to get the additional funds in via Credit Card?

You’re bumping up against the limits from pay1040:

You’ll need to use another processor:

I need to file an extension, and pay taxes. Can I use Pay1040 and utilize multiple credit cards to pay the amount? I assume I can just keep sending payments attached to the social and the irs will see the multiple payments attached to my social?

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

Might find info here: