Are business credit cards a viable option for individuals

The advantages of business credit cards, for those not really engaged in business, are pretty darn overwhelming! :heart_eyes:

Just the outsized bonuses and inflated rewards alone boggle the mind!

But are there any risks at all? Is there a downside?

Can I Get a Business Credit Card Even if I Donā€™t Have a Business?

The Requirements for Opening a Business Credit Card

1 Like

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topicā€™s highlights.

No downsidesā€¦ I have read that the consumer protections are not present in business cards. ie compared to consumer cards.

However, you cannot beat the points and other benefits. I have done 2 Chase biz cards in the past 6 months. Will use the UR points for another trip to Europe in 1-2 years! :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are if you can get them. Some have pretty decent features. Especially if youā€™re already way over 5/24 and still want a new Chase card.

Really? Ink Cash is the only card I can think of with highest category-specific rewards.

• A wasted inquiry if you donā€™t get approved.
  • Some business cards are reported on your personal credit report.
  • Personal purchases are technically not allowed (some issuers write this into the agreement, not sure if they all do), and usually thereā€™s no consumer protections for personal purchases. It may be a non-enforceable technicality, just keep it in mind.
  • Chase started limiting rewards opportunities and cracking down on rewards churners.

I think youā€™re right. Perhaps I should have used the word ā€œhandsomeā€ in place of the word ā€œinflatedā€. However:

Do not myself have any focus whatsoever on category-specific rewards, so this is a blind spot for me. I cannot make any money with category-specific rewards. My entire ability to profit relies on across-the-board rewards. And the business cards do offer opportunities in that regard.

Changing your tune on a business card without a business?

2 Likes

I was researching, trying to find a ā€œsafeā€ way. ā€œSafeā€ in this instance refers to application of my own, personal, criteria regarding safety.

After consulting the aforementioned references, and after further consideration, I do not find a ā€œsafeā€ way to go forward with a business CC.

And I have not gone forward. For me personally, and only for me, it is not a prudent course of action. However, I am respectful of the different conclusion arrived at regarding this matter by others, folks for whom a business CC (without a business) is a ā€œgoā€.

I have a legit freelance business so getting business credit cards is not an issue but aside from double dipping for some cardsā€™s signup bonuses (Chase SW say) or getting around the anti-churning rules (5/24 Chase or 2-yr from closure Citi), the terms are so similar to personal cards that itā€™s not worth messing with them for the non signup rewards.

1 Like

I founded Qcumberā€™s All-Natural Lawn Care LLC just for business credit cards.

2 Likes

Is it a Member-Owned Organization?

4 Likes

I see what you did there.

Chase ink is the main exception. I donā€™t use it that much though. Additionally business cards are nice if you use balance transfer/cash advance offers. You can 95%+ the card limits and it doesnā€™t affect your credit score. It would have been nice though if Iā€™d have obtained another personal Southwest card (when there was premier and plus) instead of 1bus+ personal before they recently instituted the ā€œonly can have one Southwest cardā€. Two Southwest priority cards would have been nice :/. I couldnā€™t have guessed the trend shift to credit cards with high annual fees that are negative effective annual fees.

Now I have two with negative effective fees. Southwest priority and amex aspire, at least until theyā€™re both gutted.

2 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised that the Chase Ink Cash had an intro APR. I have a couple thousand parked there. It is nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, this is a nice sweetener if you have a high APY reward checking. The WF business card has a great bonus ($500), plus 0% APR for 9 months. Iā€™ve been very happy with this one.

Also comes with checking, savings, and money market accounts whether you want them or not. Sweet!

2 Likes