Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Card

This thread continues the discussion about the Better Balance Rewards card started by kintro, often referred to as BBR. The card has been discontinued, but was so popular on FWF, that a continued discussion is warranted.

The card pays $25 per quarter as long as you pay more than the minimum payment (balance in full counts as well). You get a $5 bonus if you have an eligible Bank of America or Merrill Edge Account.

Program rules here: https://www.managerewardsonline.fiacardservices.com/cms/published/root/dcb/PDF/BAC_BetterBalance_PR.pdf

Original thread archived here: https://web.archive.org/web/20171008185950/https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/textthread.php?catid=52&threadid=1260381

I converted an old BOA credit card (no idea which one) back when I first found out about this card years ago. Put my gym membership ($29.99/mo) on it and haven’t touched it since. I get the $30 quarterly into my BOA checking account like clockwork. Every quarter I am still kicking myself for never converting my wife’s BOA card she never uses.

I put our icloud subscriptions on this, set up autopay and collect the $30 each quarter into a savings account. I also hate that I didn’t convince my wife to convert her BOAR to this before it disappeared.

1 Like

Received an email that EBanking checking account is being converted to Core Checking. Don’t want to tie up $1500 x 2 and don’t have any “real” direct deposit to use for this so I was wondering if anyone had any experience using a joint savings account for the purpose of collecting the extra $5 (x 2) for our two Better Balance Rewards cards.

I use a regular savings account to collect and for Paypal, it’s free with $300 min balance.

Has anyone successfully used one joint account for rewards from multiple BBR cards?

You can also use a Merrill Edge CMA account which is fee free. If you don’t want to go that route, then the savings account with the $300 balance requirement is the best option.

For future reference, the answer to my question is YES. A joint savings account will do what we need, per the rep who opened the account over the phone.

1 Like

same here :“Received an email that EBanking checking account is being converted to Core Checking. Don’t want to tie up $1500 x 2 and don’t have any “real” direct deposit to use for this” but would like to know if any bank or pypal transfers qualify for the direct deposit. I’ve been searching everywhere but found zilch answers so any experience greatly appreciated

off topic: same question for qualifying or the the citibank $300 bonus offer taht ended 12-31-17

this sounds promising, any known bonuses for opening a Merrill Edge CMA account ?

My 3 BBR credits posted to my Merrill CMA account on 1/5.

any non- targeted bonuses for opening BANK OF AMERICA savings account?

Looks like the only thing is up to $600 for $200k deposit, starts at $100 for $20k.

I don’t think it’s cumulative like discover’s is. So probably better off just opening the account.

My better balance credits arrived to my BoA account a few days ago.

Coincidentally, I just noticed that Bank of America does not allow transfer from savings to checking via the web or their app. The reverse is allowed. Is that just my setup, or does BoA really not allow everyone to transfer out of their savings accounts?

I’ve never had that issue. Always been able to transfer from savings to checking via the web or the app.