Bank of America Cash Rewards

I haven’t seen it mentioned before, but the Bank of America Cash Rewards that was 3% Gas; 2% Groceries; 1% everything else, now allows you to choose your 3% category (up to $2,500 in quarterly spending on all categories and then 1% on everything). the categories are:

• Gas
  • Online shopping
  • Dining
  • Travel
  • Drug stores
  • Home improvement and furnishings
5 Likes

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

Are there any more details on what BofA considers “online shopping”? Some B&M retailers with a website charge your card for .com orders as if you were in the store…

It;s a good question, all I can find is " Eligible merchants would include merchants whose primary line of business falls under the following Choice Categories … Online Shopping", so I don’t know if you have to be online only.

It looks like it’s basically all online “retail” type stores. Here’s a screen shot of what I saw after I picked it as my 3% category…

2 Likes

And there’s a big list of what is excluded…

5 Likes

It would be great if people could post data points for things that count as “online shopping” that are not on the list. Maybe we could have a wiki here?

2 Likes

For anyone considering this card, please consider the Susan G. Komen or WWF variants of the card for the same exact cashback benefits, plus BoA shares a small portion (0.08%) of your spend with a good cause:

Susan G. Komen Cash Rewards Card
World Wildlife Cash Rewards Card

2 Likes

Doe anyone know if you can still get one of the two charitable cards if yoiu already have a cashback card.

My wife managed to get a Komen card even though she had a Cash back card, but that was several years ago.

I have the cashback card (mine is a visa, not a mastercard) and the WWF version. Was approved 2 weeks ago. Also applied for the Komen card a few mins after applying for the WWF card but was denied.

All info is in the comments right now.

Thank you for posting that link, scripta. And I agree, those comments are most valuable and revealing. They are surely worthy of a read.

I can offer a data point, but it is worth VERY little at this point. I’ll know so much more in one month:

Anyway, I charged an item which coded as “online purchase”. But at time of making that charge I had failed to switch my 3% choice over from “gas” to “online purchases”. However:

At moment my statement closed the “online purchases” selection WAS in place. I was not awarded the extra 2%, so assume your selection must be in place at moment of purchase, not good enough if only at time later when reward is calculated.

No bigee for me owing to the $2500/quarter limitation. I will charge way more than that again this month, and shall learn whether or not they give me the 3% reward a month from now.

Off-topic here, but related to the discussion. Any pointers for the reverse question: which websites of big department stores qualify as Department Stores for AmEx BCP 3% cash back?

Amex BCP Dept. Stores:

The list seems to be limited to 16:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/rewards-info/retail.html#MDS

“Eligible purchases include those made in store and online.”

1 Like

Thanks Argyll. So it appears that Amex goes by name for department stores, not category code. Good to know.