Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

Added Betterment to the wiki.

If they add decent billpay to their not-yet-released checking account, it could become the best checking+savings combo.

Does anyone know what 4 banks betterment uses?

I found this but there are more than 4 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Thank you! I don’t know…I would normally jump at these rates but something about these broker promo accounts is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Why? Do you think it’s temporary? Wealthfront, betterment and robinhood, which is expected to relaunch the cash management account, are all competing. And they might not even be losing any money on these accounts. I’m betting their rates will stay relatively high for a while.

Also I jumped in protest as my other accounts started lowering their rates, and weren’t near the top anyway :wink:

1 Like

Just signed up for Betterment. Quick and easy process. We shall see…

Credit for this useful information to Ken Tumin. The following is a lift from his website:

Below is a list of the noteworthy no-penalty CDs and promotional savings/money market accounts with rate guarantee periods:

• 2.55% APY Ultimate Savings with rate guaranteed for 3 months - Northpointe Bank
  • 2.50% APY Money Market with rate guaranteed through 12/31/19 - Northern Bank Direct
  • 2.35% APY 13-month No Penalty CD ($500 min) - Goldman Sachs Bank USA
  • 2.30% APY 11-month No Penalty CD ($25k min) - Ally Bank
  • 2.25% APY 6-month No-Penalty CD ($500 min) - Investors eAccess
  • 2.00% APY 13-month No-Penalty CD ($10k min) - PurePoint Financial
1 Like

The Fed funds rate has significant impact on the interest rates paid by financial institutions on liquid accounts. The FOMC meets starting tomorrow and is widely anticipated Wednesday, at close of their meeting, to cut the federal funds rate by 0.25%.

Despite that, Trump is not satisfied or mollified. He was out again a few hours ago, jawboning via tweet, with comment that the anticipated interest rate decrease is insufficient and late.

Trump calls for still lower rates

My opinion:

Trump is seeking to ensure the economy remains strong through election day. Seems to me we can expect interest rates to continue slipping at least until then.

I agree although that would require the Fed to oblige him (which they kinda have by lowering rates this month despite economy being mostly fine so far). But it’s hard to imagine rates going anywhere but lower in the short term (next 12 months).

Agreed. What I did not mention is Trump’s chosen candidates for open seats on the Fed board.

Know who Judy Shelton is? You should.

Just call her “half point Judy”. :slightly_smiling_face:

Then next we have Christopher Waller, a monetary dove of some renown:

Christopher Waller also favors lower interest rates

Bottom line, Trump is going beyond mere jawboning. He is doing all within his considerable power to lower interest rates.

Has anyone heard of Personal Capital Cash liquid savings account with unlimited withdrawals without fees right now 2.30% APY with FDIC insurance:

This is like a hybrid account of multiple banks so FDIC insurance limits are up to $1.5 million, No check writing feature only ACH in and out I believe.

1 Like

That’s similar to the Betterment and Wealthfront savings accounts. Both have higher rates, so why use PersonalCapital?

1 Like

Looks like Popular Direct is taking a play out of CIT’s playbook. They’ve raised the rate on their Ultimate Savings account to 2.55%, while leaving the rate on their previous rate-leader Exclusive Savings account at 2.36%. Also like with CIT, you can easily open the higher rate account online and transfer money from your old account instantly. If you currently have a lower rate account with them, there’s no reason not to swap it for the higher rate account.

Only “catch” is the Ultimate account requires $5,000, while I think the Exclusive account only required $500 (if I’m remembering correctly).

I think this is a great sign for where the industry expects rates to go (or where rates should go, even if external influences are artificially pressuring things in the other direction for the near term). 2.55% would’ve been near-top of the charts before the recent rate cut.

Wealthfront high yield rate savings account reduced to 2.32% APY (from 2.57%)

1 Like

I don’t reply here often…but I opened the Popular Direct CD @ 2.55 online yesterday. They are in process of sending the trial deposits to CIT. So from reading DOC and here I now have moved funds to Northern Direct and Popular. I don’t like tying up funds since I retired 5 months ago from the NYPD with a decent pension and health plan for wife and me. Like liquidity!! And BTW while with the NYPD, Popular has a deal with our paychecks via DD. Couldn’t have been a nicer experience with them in their NYC branches. 24 years too. All their Manhattan branches have been remodeled and are just exquisite. And Im not Spanish!! Used to be Banco Popular. My pension checks go to them also. They mailed us a “heads up” on this new account about 10 days ago…so I knew something was going to happen. Don’t know how long this can last though in this economy.

1 Like

This report is long time coming FOR ME (started 2/8/19)… I just spent hours with a Capital One rep or two trying to convince them that it was time for me to receive my $500 bonus.

They tried to tell me that I had a savings acct with them in 2016 & therefore did not qualify. Next on to a supervisor & back to the rep. But I finally won out. I guess I did close an acct in Jan 2016 & they relented & paid me the bonus $500.

I don’t think I’m going for another bonus. They keep your money for so long & then you have to fight to get the bonus they promise.:wink:

Ally online savings dropping to 1.90% APY as of 8/6/19

3 Likes

Wow

They are now significantly below Alliant and PurePoint.

Glad you finally got them to give you what they owed you @pattyb53 !!!

1 Like