Best Reward / Cash Back Credit Cards

Yes, agreed. That deal appears to be available only to new members. It also seems to me a bit persnickety regarding source of funds.

Yesterday when I signed up for the new Founders cc the bonus $150 was listed. Now I donā€™t see it.
A rep told me I would get the bonus. So who knows, guess Iā€™ll just wait until the month ends.

I still like the Discover 3% Miles card for the first year. No strings. Plus PSECU 150 bonus minus taxes and who knows if its a hard pull for their CC. Not worth it for 150.00 taxable and probably hard pull. I like the Citi 2x card and the Pen Fed power cash rewards which posts the 2% immediately. BUT you need 500 in the Access America acct to get the 2%. But as an MSer (heavy) till last Marchā€¦ card was great for Gift Card Mall online via portals. But now that GCM has cut the max on VGC to 250, probably not worth it. But I spent approx 60k yearly on this card via GCM for 3 years and not a peep from them. Probably cant use card online now so might re assess value. I only used it for VGC online. Dont know how PSECU would react to gift card buying online. My supermarket VGC will resume with my many AMEX old blue cash cards I guess after the vaccine comes to fruition.

1 Like

What makes it better than every other unlimited 2% cashback card out there? Is it solely for diversification? As a credit card bonus player, getting hard pulls for $150 - tax seem counter productive when I can only apply for so many cards without running afoul of Chase anti-churning rules (my own valuation of a hard pull is well north of $500).

2 Likes

Oh, I quite agree. As I stated, I am not a bonus person. But I can use all the unlimited 2% cards Iā€™m able to acquire in my MS side hustle activities . . . which is why I sought this card and why it is well worth the hard pull for me.

I also agree that strictly for a bonus person this card is not special. But thatā€™s not me. I will use this over and over and over again to purchase CDs, collecting those lovely 2% rewards with each use. In the fullness of time, they surely do add up. :wink:

Having yet another 2% card in the herd gives a warm feeling. :smiley:

But you surely have already a few ways to get unlimited 2% cashback. Are you worried about AA from MSing?

I have a pretty good stable of high reward cards and use all of them. However, I like to spread spending out as best Iā€™m able among the herd and not focus too much activity on just two or three cards. Doing that in the past got me into some serious AA and cost me cards. Iā€™m operating in the vicinity of a dozen cards. Itā€™s nice tax free income.

1 Like

shinobi do you have the 3% CCunion card up to 6k in groceries and the Penfed Cash rewards unlimited 3% in groceries? Penfed does not care how much you spend in groceries and pay out the 3% immediately. Plus the 1 year Disc Miles. Goes nicely with my 5% bunch of AMEX OBC cards. I have 5 StopandShops in my vicinity to buy cards plus a bunch of other groceries (Tops) Also Amex OBC has 5% in CVS too. On hiatus now till the vaccine.

Thank you barrytuneup, for posting.

I donā€™t have the CCunion card. I do have the PenFed card with a 2% reward across the board.

Candidly, rewards which are great, but only in certain categories (e.g., groceries), are not a help to me. I am buying certificates of deposit and need highest possible rewards when I buy those. This requires a card offering highest reward regardless type of purchase.

I did do the Discover Miles card and harvested a nice haul for that first year. Discover treated me very well and I recommend the card. Other posters also have said the card worked well for them and Discover was very fair and honest.

With that first year now in the rear view mirror Iā€™m sitting at a 1.5% reward so I use my Discover Miles card less. But I still use it.

wow, never knew you can do the CD with the CC. I dont do thatā€¦Just bank bonuses and MSing. Msing on hold due to virus but plenty of lucrative bank bonuses if you play the game correctly!!. But are your CDā€™s small since I assume you need a big credit line for a big cd.? or do you mix and match?

Are there many credit union pairs that permit paying from another credit union credit card with either no fee, or a low fee and which the card the balance is transferred to gives rewards. I spent about $10,000 on one card for 1% (tuition and taxes often), and then pay it from another for rewards from them. I suspect there is a glitch somewhere, but I do not know the details of how balance transfers are handled between cards, and why $10,000 sent to another card ends up treated as a purchase.

Thanks for the information on a new ML offer.
I took advantage of some offers when they first came out, and will confirm ML is a good place to hold IRAā€™s or your regular brokerage account.

Likewise, I am willing to let BOA have some money interest free just to be a customer (sometimes over $100, but usually much less). In exchange a 2.625% return on a Travel card is nice, and over 5% back on certain categories from their Cash back cards is nice.

A joint brokerage account will count for both husband and wife, and permits getting more BOA cards (to cover more types of spending), and possibly card bonuses.

The Komen card gives the same Cash Back plus a small percentage for breast cancer research.

Although several members have not been overly keen on the 2% Fidelity Visa (run by Elan Financial), I havenā€™t had a problem with them and it is my daily user. Well, hereā€™s one knock on them.

I used my card early one am to charge <$100 to a vendor that I had not used before. The next morning, we got a call that, due to being an unidentified number, went to the machine. It was Elan calling to:

1. verify the charge
  2. notify us that the charge had not been allowed
  3. notify us that the card was frozen until we responded.

We attempted to call Elan several times, at the number they provided, within 5 minutes. The calls went to a generic recording that they could not be completed. This was not an AT&T message. We tried again, after 10 minutes with the same result.

A half-hour later, the call went through, and after 15 minutes on hold, was told by the rep that she couldnā€™t help us and that we had to call another number. Why would Elan give us a number that was either unreachable or a time sink?

The person at the correct number solved the problem immediately and commiserated with my wife over how irritated people were when they finally got to her.

This wonā€™t stop me from using the Fidelity card, but gives me pause. I hope it doesnā€™t indicate that Fidelity is losing some of their efficiency and professionalism which have so far been exemplary.

3 Likes

My thanks to both you guys for posting about your experiences.

Your posts have helped me personally.

Thanks again

Does anyone have experience with this credit union/card?

Itā€™s a no annual fee, 3% cash back cards at a credit union that anyone can join. I am thinking about getting it and ditching my BOA Premium Rewards card.

1 Like

The page you link only describes 3x points. Are the points exchangeable for cash, or where is the points valuation?

Apparently 3 points == 3 cents for cash back redemption via their rewards portal but has to be done in $25 increments.

1 Like

Is there some place it says that?

Itā€™s three points per dollar spent, no question. But Iā€™m unable to find the value of each point stated anywhere.

Points most often are worth 1Ā¢ each. But not always.

Iā€™m basing that on the discussion here 3% Cash Back on Everything with USALLIANCE? - myFICOĀ® Forums - 5948413. I just applied for it. If I am approved, Iā€™ll let you know. Looks promising.

3 Likes

I have to think the BofA loss leader is more sustainable than a small CU. I guess you should milk it while you can, though.