Best Reward / Cash Back Credit Cards

i would be wary? What are the areas that do NOT get 3% and its a small CU. The Fico forum dates back 6 months. id stick with Discover 3% for first year and they dont give a hoot what you buy and where. Family is working on 3rd Discover miles and we dont care about the 1 year wait.

For churning Chase card bonuses though, needing to apply to a new Discover card every year is not optimal since thatā€™d waste 2 applications out of the 5 per 2 year period. So a card that would get you 3% on all purchases with no limits would be better.

Aside from making sure there is really no earning cap on the 3 pt per $ rewards, Iā€™d also want to make sure what is implied by ā€œqualifying purchasesā€.

the applicationā€™s are for my 2 sons and wife 1 app per year. As far as MSā€¦ never a problem in ā€œgrocery store purchases.ā€ not blip in all 3% cards (Discover) received about 3800.00 on 3 cards in rewards AFTER gift card fees. Was a heavy hitter till virus. Also family had old blue cash Amex cards (2)

Amex Blue Cash Preferred offers $300 cash back for $3000 spending in your first 6 months.

6% rewards for groceries (to $6K per year), 6% on select U.S. streaming subscriptions. 3% gas, 1% everything else.

Annual fee is $0 for first year, then $95.

3 Likes

Amex Cash Magnet offers $200 bonus for $1000 spending on purchases in the first 3 months.

0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months from the date of account opening.

Unlimited 1.5% cash back on everything.

I am planning a large purchase ($4600+) next month which comes with a fee of $44 if paid via credit card. 1.5% cash back of $69 more than covers the fee, and the $200 bonus reduces the purchase price. Then I have close to 15 months to pay it back with no interest.

1 Like

Youā€™d be better off with CSP 80K or CapOne Venture 100K offers.

Thanks for the ideas, but I want cash back, not travel rewards, and 0% APR for 15 months.

2 Likes

Car redeemable for cash in several categories at $0.015 = $1200

Yeah those are basically cash back. Worst case with CapOne is statement credit at 1mi=0.5c, but you can get gift cards (like amazon) at 1mi=0.8c. And until 12/31 you can do 1mi=1c credit for restaurant purchases (Iā€™m hoping they extend it). Similar with CSP ā€“ 1UR=1.25c for grocery redemptions. Either one will yield much more than $200.

It sounds complicated. Which ones have 0% APR for 15 months?

And no annual fee?

Donā€™t know, probably neither. The value of 0% APR is basically 0.5% if you put it in a savings account. But the value of the rewards with CSP or Venture will be much more than youā€™ll save with 0% APR.

Itā€™s no more complicated than any other credit card rewards redemption.

Both have AF, but again, the reward is high enough to cover it. You can cancel or downgrade to a no-AF card after a year.

You can redeem for cash back with CSP 1:1. $4600 spent will yield between $751 (1:1) and $962 (1:1.25) after fee.

Thanks for the info. Iā€™m looking for the 0% offer for 15 months, and no annual fee.

Anyone currently have this one?

Yes? Just click the link above.

If anyone know of a better location for this comment, feel free to move it, or let me know.

BoA is dropping their rental car insurance on Cash Rewards cards, effective February 1, 2021. Discover and Citibank dropped their coverage also, over the past couple of years.

1 Like

This seems silly to me. Perhaps this eliminates some overhead in managing this kind of program, but I imagine that they havenā€™t been paying out much in the way of claims over the last few months.

Chase seems to be the go-to issuer for rental car insurance. AMEX isnā€™t bad either if you donā€™t mind having secondary coverage (or want to pay extra for their premium coverage).

4 Likes

Which may be why you never see ā€œCar Rental Companiesā€ as a 5% category. :smile:

1 Like

All good things must come to an end. US Alliance is reducing their 3% cash back card to 2% starting in February

Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t try to product change my BOA Premium Rewards card

2 Likes

We can delete Alliant 2% card from the list, they devalued rewards retroactively without notice.

2 Likes

We donā€™t have that card on the list. Donā€™t think we ever did.