Best Reward / Cash Back Credit Cards

I do realize there are many, many cards out there. I’m staying put now with Citi DC, no fee, high limit & no headaches.

I charge all farming equipment, chemicals, insurance, estimated taxes, PG&E bills, + the usual everyday bills. Why last month my Citi DC card was $16K, so figure out my cash payout? :relaxed:

2 Likes

According to DOC, the in-branch bonus is $300, versus $200 online.

1 Like

the 5%/500 Citi Cash monthly at grocery stores goes well with my 2 Dividend cards that have gas this Q. 500 VGC or vanilla cards at gas stations here have done the trick for Discover,Chase and Citi cards for the past few years. I was able to start my MS Biz a few weeks as Covid has receded here. Wil get my wife the Citi card cash also. I still have the Discover Miles card too for 3% plus all my Amex OBC cards. F/T job juggling these but Im retired (thank God) And some banks allow mobile deposits of MOrders. Opened the Monifi acct 2 weeks ago and my 2nd DD of 1002.00 just posted. They also gave me 25.00 for a “savings goal” but do not know what that is. Awaiting my 250 bonus. I did lose a bonus from Citizen for DD from bank not coding as DD. My mistake. Checked too late to send in a WF deposit. Win some/lose some.

1 Like

PSECU has a deal going on their Founder’s Card. You have until end of August to get this done. The reward is 2% (but see terms) and the signup bonus is $150. Anyone may join PSECU. Ken says:

Membership in Pennsylvania State Employees Credit Union is open to all U.S. citizens and resident aliens through membership in the Pennsylvania Recreation & Parks Society ($20 membership fee). Membership is also open to Pennsylvania state or local government employees, municipality or school district employees, students, faculty, staff and alumni of universities in the Pennsylvania State System, and over 1,000 Select Employer Groups.

Here is a link:

Link to PSECU Founder’s card promotion

I have this card and I like it a lot. There is no BS. PSECU pays you your rewards straightaway, in full, every time your statement closes. It’s not one of those 1% now and 1% later after you pay off your balance situations.

If you’re a “show me the money” sort of person, this card will work for you.

Note:

This PSECU Founder’s card is good. But it is not as good as my PenFed Power Cash Rewards card. That card pays me my 2% rewards from the moment my charges settle into the account.

Truth is, I use both cards and appreciate them both. Waiting for rewards is not something I enjoy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I am always happy to see another 2%er.

Derek, you’re great with the updates … and not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but [kick my teeth here], would you mind posting your changes? I got a notice that you made an edit, which is appreciated by everyone. Sadly, I can’t &^*%# figure out how to find the edit that you made. If anyone wants to point out by idiocy, please do so.

OK, the “by” is misspelled. I’ll point out by picture :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you for not pointing out my obvious idiocy. :laughing: Now, if you could point out how I can remember that, I would be eternally grateful. Otherwise, my gratitude is only temporary. :rofl:

nevermind. @scripta has provided an explanation to my short term memory.

Take notes! Then remember to look at your notes! :nerd_face:

I didn’t even know you could be notified of wiki edits… how? I don’t see that in the settings or anywhere…

1 Like

Yeah, right. Please help me to prioritize my FD notes about the wifely,parently, kidly notes … Yikes, what am I thinking - nothing personal, but … they all take priority. :sunny:

The absolute best cash back card in my wallet right now (and it’s not even close) for grocery, restaurants and gas at least. Is my old SYW MasterCard from Citibank.

Thru offers they email I have averaged 20% cash back and it’s in the form of a statement credit that comes right off the top. This is in addition to the rewards which are syw points that are redeemable for gift cards from raise. The rewards for me average an additional 4% of spend.

The key here is that the offers all stack.

If you still have this card in your sock drawer from the old Sears days, dust it off and give it a look. Offers are sent to your email.

2 Likes

Could you share more details? Email offers usually have a cap and a time frame. What are the usual caps and time frames and how often do you get them?

Sure, currently I have 10% cb on gas, restaurants and grocery, $100 max per month good till October I believe, must spend at least $600 per month, 15% cb on utilities per month max of $40 per month also good to October. Each billing cycle I’ve been getting a spend $500 get $35 on anything, and I recently got a 5% back on anything up to $50. Looking thru my old emails they seem to rotate these by quarter.

So for example the ten percent stacked with the 5% and the 35 back on 500;(my first test purchase was $500 in gc at Kroger’s) - but the 10% didn’t kick in until I crossed the $600 threshold.

I wouldn’t run out and get this card but if it’s in your sock drawer it’s definitely worth dusting off.

For example my august billing statement just closed-

I spent $ 500 on gc at Kroger
$240 at Kroger on fuel (coded as a gas station)
$21 at a bakery(coded as bakery)
$29 at restaurants

Total spend $790

My statement balance was $656 (some rounding here) roughly 17% cb plus about 3% in rewards (useable at Sears Kmart or you can buy gift cards fulfilled by raise) the bakery purchase dragged my average down a bit.I don’t count it here but the gc Kroger purchase also earned 2k in fuel points which would also be $70 in rewards.

I also spent $270 on utilities but that will be on the next statement.

3 Likes

In an ideal world in which one had a completely empty 35 gallon tank to fill twice. For many people 2,000 points would be worth half that. But if you’ve got a diesel super duty, definitely a great perk.

But thanks for the heads up on this card. It looks like it’s the only true no-fee 5% gas year-round card left standing that you can still apply for. Is that correct? I might have to look into this one now that I’m commuting 30 minutes each day.

2 Likes

2 vehicles, cans, etc. You don’t need an elusive 35 gallon tank to get the full value.

2 Likes

If you’re getting that many points a month, it sure helps. OTOH, you could buy a boat. :smile:

As others have indicated I use gas cans (that I got using points at Kmart lol) I have 75 gallons worth of cans (all are 5 or 6 gallon cans) and just keep them in the garage.

When I fill the wife’s or my car I put the can on the shelf of a 5 foot step ladder and use a shake siphon (from Amazon)- it empty’s the can in about two minutes. Check Amazon for the shake siphon, I replace it about once a year as the hose gets brittle and I wouldn’t want it to break off in the neck (and they will) the trick is to keep the can elevated so a recycling bin or step ladder works great. Pouring them in would be a major pain in the a**. I’ve been doing this every month since 2014 with the gas.

Edited to add, I’m not sure I would call this a “true” 5% cashback gas card, but with the rewards they’ve been pouring on it is for now and then some. Ymmv

The only guaranteed portion is the 5-3-2-1 points portion for gift cards which would make it a 5% reward card on gas, 3% on grocery and restaurants. And then only in exchange for gift cards. The gift cards are thru raise and they do have quite a few you can download the syw max app to see what’s available. They have Walmart Lowe’s and HD so those tend to be pretty close to cash for me.

You sound like you live near Charlotte. You don’t do you? :sweat_smile: :laughing:

That sounds like way too much planning, effort, and storage for the savings on an extra 17 gallons. I guess once you get used to it, it’s not too bad. But even with the storage, at some point, you fill it up and run out of room unless you drive a certain amount. I’m sure there are lots of families that drive ~1,750 miles a month, but not sure how many there are that also don’t mind filling and transporting multiple cans (being that guy at the gas station), storing a bunch of gas up high, and filling their car with a siphon. For most people, gas points are worth half what you are getting.

Why isn’t it a true 5% cashback gas card? Don’t you get 5% on gas (up to a spending limit you share with grocery stores and restaurants)?

1 Like