Best Reward / Cash Back Credit Cards

should have had the Discover Miles. 3% for first year on everything. Family is on 3rd one now.

2 Likes

July 1st, Wells Fargo is releasing a new 2% card. I believe it will be a Visa card ( which would be helpful for places like Costco ). Looks to be 2% cashback, no fees, no strings attached. So if you need a backup card :wink:
Card Info

3 Likes

Thanks.

When Alliant CU dropped my account (closed), they also closed my Visa CC. I only used that card at Costco, as you said, that’s all they accept.

So I need another Visa Card. Alliant CU is not very nice. lol

1 Like

The Citi Costco Visa gives 2% back at Costco. It’s also good for gas (4%) and restaurants (3%), and I believe it’s the only card left that still provides a 2 year Extended Warranty.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

It is an improvement for Wells Fargo Bank, which is quite a qualifier, as I don’t recall them every really focusing on having a particularly good rewards credit card. 3% foreign transaction fee, though. The same as the Citi Double-Cash card, without the TY bonus (unsure of details of that) though – and that’s been out for years.

1 Like

I keep holding out for the Costco Visa to offer some signup bonus.

They used to offer some goodies in-warehouse pre-pandemic, but the best you could hope for is a cheap backpack :laughing:.

1 Like

They also sometimes had single sheet of coupons for 6 (?) Kirkland products (or was that Sam’s Club?) like Rotisserie chicken, paper towels, etc.

I got that in club before with upgrading to executive membership. (I don’t have a costco visa)

I would take a different tact and optimize for sign-up bonus if you’re looking for a card that’s going to primarily be used at a single retailer.

The 100k UR point Chase Sapphire Preferred deal ($1250 value) is amazing if you do not have a Sapphire card at the moment. They will waive the annual fee if you apply in branch and also throw in $50 for groceries: [Expired] Chase Sapphire Preferred Branch Offer: 100,000 Points + Waived Annual Fee - Doctor Of Credit

It would take a lot of Costco spending to make up for the difference between the 2% back on the Costco card and the UR points earned on the CSP.

2 Likes

I just wanted to mention the 0% offers with 0 fees I’ve been getting for balance transfers and also to carry purchases are coming from existing cards, which has been very unusual. There is no application, no credit check, etc.

I’m using some of them and others I sign up for in case I need to use them.

Offers I’ve received the last few months are Amex’s Plan-It 0% for 24 months. This one is structured so you pay it off in 24 months. Amex just offered a 0% on new purchases also for 12 months. I’m not sure if I’ll use it but I signed up just in case.

SF Fire CU has occasionally offered higher cashback on their card but no 0% transfers. Because they’ve been redoing their system, they’ve had a straight 3% cash back on the credit card since March 19th. It was supposed to end in May, but they’ve been delayed so now it’s been almost three months at 3%. I used it for a while to make most purchases, including paying rent 3 months in advance.

SF Fire has also just offered, for the first time ever, a 0% balance transfer for 12 months,available for a limited time until June 14th. I took advantage of this because I was carrying a balance transfer at 0% on another card which was ending sooner.

SF Fire is a card I have rarely used but every year or two there are offers of short periods of higher cashback and, now, 0% on balance transfers with no fee. Otherwise, it’s a basic no-fee card with 1% cash back.

3 Likes

Thanks @Argyll ! I don’t pay close to attention to a lot of these planned offers… Will start doing so!

1 Like

I don’t encourage going into debt, which is what most 0% offers are designed to do, but if you need it or can take advantage, it’s worth it. Amex Plan-It which I got with no fee and 0% is structured with a minimum payment so you pay it off completely in 24 months, but standard balance transfers are not. The normal Amex Plan-It has a fee which is not much different from standard APR.

Of course, any higher percent cashback offers should be taken advantage of.

1 Like

Citi has a new “Custom Cash” card, that looks good for people who don’t have Citi on their block/ban list.

5%/5X on up to $500 every month on the category you charge the most to in that month from their list.

2 Likes

pattyb53, your love of and your devotion to your Citi DoubleCash card is touching. However:

I have all but discontinued use of my own DoubleCash card. It’s because of the way Citi pays rewards: 1% when you use the card and then 1% when you pay them. This adds up to a 2% reward once you finally collect both tranches of money.

If you’re a PSECU member or a PenFed member, have a look at their 2% reward card offerings. PenFed, for example, gives me my reward money the moment my charge is accepted. This can happen close to two months earlier than at Citi. And PSECU coughs up on the first of every month . . . the full 2% no questions asked and no delays. There are other 2% cards out there as well worth a look. But Citi? Not so much.

It’s really excellent…and with this card you get full value for the thank you points it earns to 10,000 points gets you $100.00 direct deposit to bank account or statement credit…

I’m waiting from them to enable product change for this card so i can change my double cash over to it… :slightly_smiling_face:

I spend about $400 or so on groceries each month so would end up with $250.00 a year just from that…

Well it wouldn’t be $250. It would be $250 - $100(what you would have earned on your 2% card) = $150 a year. If you used Discover or Chase Freedom when grocery came up for the 5% quarter, it’s worth even less. What are you going to do for all of your other spending since the custom card only earns 1% for everything else? Might make more sense to keep the Double Cash card for all other spending and just do a new app for the Custom Card.

1 Like

$5000 annual grocery spending = $250.00 Cash… for other stuff i could always use one of my 2% cash cards (such as my SoFi Credit Card)…although i may not even bother because my other spending is only around $100.00 a month normally and for that amount there isn’t much difference between getting 1% or 2% ($6.00 actually…LOL)

I also have a Max Cash Rewards Card that gets me 5% on my cable and phone bill every month and that adds up to more then $2000 spent so adds at least $100 extra cashback from that…

But you are right it is an extra $150 cashback per year compared to the 2% cards…still a nice boost!
Actually…i did try for it as a separate card but i have too many inquiries on my Experian (which they pulled) and was turned down…

I don’t do citi anymore, but they do also have transfer partners with two of their fee cards, and I think you can transfer these points (similar to freedom for 7.5% cashback or to travel partners)

1 Like