Best Reward / Cash Back Credit Cards

What kind of bonus? Also do you know of a Merrill Edge fund that is comparable to Vanguard’s Index 500. When I was trying for the card I looked but it was difficult to find and I gave up…

Well, I meant to say that I don’t do “anything laborious” unless it is 10x of $600/year.

I declare everything on my taxes, so $600/yr is only $300 for me. Not worth jumping through hoops.

Just buy VT or VTI in the MerrrillEdge account.

When I moved over my IRA, I didn’t even have to do that - they did a direct transfer of FSTVX and it is held as is at Merrill now.

I have $1 in my checking account. It was adequate for me to move my IRA over. And I kept the same funds that were in it. 2.625% credit card. Can’t beat that. Oh, there is a $100 annual fee. But there is a $100 credit for airline fees which offsets it. Last year I didn’t fly due to Covid, so instead I bought a $100 American airlines giftcard.

1 Like

I think it was $500 for $100k. I don’t remember. I’m sure Merrill Edge has NTF 500 index funds. You could buy VOO. Or just transfer your existing holding in kind.

They have never had $1200 for $100k. The increased offer is $500 for $100k and $1000 for $200k

SF Fire CU sent me an email for 0% APR 12 month balance transfer no fee. This is the first time in nearly ten years they have offered this.

Presently I am receiving 3% cash back for a short period through early May (started March 19).

SF Fire CU is a basic 1% cashback card with a low regular APR of 7.25%. When Alliant started it’s 3% back card, SF Fire offered 3% for three months in the summer. The next year and occasionally thereafter they offered 2% for three months in the summer. I’ve used it mostly during these periods.

They also once gave me an automatic credit limit increase, meaning no hard pull.

2 Likes

Another offer from an existing card:

NFCU 5% on restaurants, gas, and transit thru Aug. 31. $1000 limit.

1 Like

SF Fire Visa is the only card I have ever had that reports the balance to the credit bureaus not on the statement date, but about midway through the statement period.

1 Like

I believe all Elan-underwritten cards (like Fidelity) report the balance at the end of each month, regardless of when the statement cycles.

which card? Did they send you an email?

cashRewards card. Yes, I received an email. You sign up on the site by going to Rewards.

Bank of America Premium Rewards

Through 12/31/2021, you also earn 2 points for every $1 spent on grocery store purchases.

With the maximum 75% bonus, that’s 3.5% for grocery.

I did that post only 30 days ago and as of today I’m richer by over $230. Kudos to Bank of America. They paid off and they did so PRONTO!!

All I did was “spend” the money, a little over a thousand bucks, and move up my statement closing date to yesterday. The bank did the rest. For anyone unfamiliar, spend is in quotes there because it was overwhelmingly manufactured spending.

I have had good luck for years with these Bank of America (what once were called) 1-2-3 cards. Loving me some Bank of America this morning. :smiley:

1 Like

SF Fire CU’s 3% window ends today. It was in effect from March 19 for almost eight weeks while they put in a new rewards system.

1 Like

Aargh! SF Fire just extended it to May 17th, but charges must post by that date to get the 3%.

Some fintech called “Cardless” is kicking off a new card with an attractive ESB.

Manchester United card earns $500 in statement credit when you spend $3000+ in 3 months. You also get a free shirt for spending $1000+ in 3 months.

In addition, the card has some weird bonus categories:

• 10% discount at Manchester United store and related
  • 5% cashback for dining, but only on days when Manchester is playing
  • 5% cashback for streaming and ride share service
  • 1% cashback for everything else (including dining on non match days)

Supposedly, this doesn’t show up as a line against Chase 5/24.
You can get your card number right after approval, but you need an iOS device (or emulator).

You need to make your first spend by 5/26, or your rewards redemption ratio gets halved for life.

No AMF, no Forex fee (and no late fee/returned payment fee/overlimit fee. How will they make $?)

The rewards show you how lucrative the credit card business is, but these are not big rewards. 5% cash back on dining when the team plays is less than 40 days per year. Most spending would be at 1% where they make a profit and just a small percentage of people carrying a balance and paying interest means big profits.

I once asked a credit card rep. how the company could afford the large rewards they were paying. The answer was “Enough people carry a balance.” The Man United card APR is 14%-26%. Penalty APR is 30%.

Maybe they could pad the margin on exchange rate which would not be a forex fee as you normally see (like 3% foreign transaction fee many cards have).

Or maybe they hope that fans will spend a lot more money in ManU merch.

1 Like

Amex Preferred offers has offer of 0% APR on purchases for 12 months.

Cable and satellite TV offer, spend $100 or more by 10/18/21, get $5 back. Up to 4 times.

Cell phone offer: Spend $125 or more by 10/18/21, get $5 back. Up to 4 times. Enroll by 7/23/21.

2 Likes

I did the SF Fire CU 12 month 0% Balance transfer. This is only the second card that I have heard of that made such an offer on an existing card. I’ve had it almost 10 years.

Also signed up for the Amex 0% on purchases for 12 months.

1 Like

$647.27 check is in the mail from my CITI Double Cash card. Love those never ending payments! :blush:
(hopefully)

1 Like